Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post your race stories here!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 05:21 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

i have a n/a 944, and live in daytona beach, fl... all the local ricers wonder why i don't race, i guess they like taking their cars to the shops all the time. i'll NEVER race on the street, i might accelerate nicely to about 5 over the speed limit, but thats it, i have no need to dust souped up grocery-getters.

as far as my story,

one time i went to my first autocross, and i made one modification to my car on the track, i beleive the technical term was "forced plastic induction"... from now on i take it easy till i know the course well enough to push it, this weekend i'll go to my second, no cones this time, i promise!
Old 04-10-2002, 05:55 PM
smokey
Pro

I've never driven super-fast on the street, although I've had a number of interesting cars. I had a Ferrari 250 GTE in the 1980's, which I put off the track at Mosport and quit because I couldn't afford to do it again. We did drive up to a Ferrari club picnic with the family (baby in a car-seat in the back), and I found a bird in the grille when we got there. Poor bird wasn't used to objects approaching at 110 mph. I sold the car when parenting expenses became overwhelming, but got a 944 Turbo two years ago with one express purpose: track time. I drive to and from the track, and given that the car is red and modified, I figure it's a cop-magnet. So I've actually slowed down on the the street. I watch a lot of weird ego stuff happening - being passed on the inside by minivans doing 100 mph. Everyone wants to race the p-car.
I just keep my ego in check, because it's cheaper, plus once you've approached the limits on the race-track, nothing on the street compares, at least for me. Quick on the track, slow on the street. Well --- most of the time. There have been a few interesting on-ramps over the last year.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you think any insurance agents watch this forum? Anyhow, I try to limit myself to DE days at Mosport, although I've gotten into a few express trains on the 401 (our local intercity expressway) where the speed limit might have been exceeded. Last time a 911 with Quebec plates was in the lead about 1/4 mile in front.

But the most fun I've ever had on the street is at the annual sport bike rally in Parry Sound, cottage country north of Toronto. For three days the local police put away the radar guns. It's a little scary due to the sandy twisty roads, but guys are breaking 150 mph all the time. I doubt you could get away with it in a car though.

The last night, the police close off the highway for a ride into the town from the campground, and everyone lines the shoulders to watch the wheely display.

Amazing. I doubt there's anything like it anywhere else in North America.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Outlaw952
Instructor

Adrial,

Autothority Stage II chips, K&N cone, LBE, ported polished head and valve job, wide fire ring head gasket, Bursche cat bypass, AFPR, stiffer springs in the front (lowered as well), Koni sport shocks in the rear (Euro rear ride height). Everything else is stock. Dynos 285hp, 335tq, runs rich as hell (dont know why yet)
Old 04-10-2002, 08:57 PM
Turby
Banned

Yes, I want to live through your expriances, my car has been in the shop for a month for various reasons.
Here is my last expearince. It was around 2am and I was Traveling on 495 towards boston, comming from the foxy lady(strip club) in RI doing about 85 in the fast lane when I spot bright blue HID lights in my rear view comming up real fast! At first i think Audi, so I crack my pass side window to hear what I am up against. WWWWWWWWVVVVVVVHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!
Damb, he must have been going at least 120!..............A brand spanking new black 996. I instantly reach for my boost controller, krancking it up I drop it into 3rd and floor it!
As I do this, I notice a brief flash in my rear view.....FLAMES Right after I switch to 4th I am right on his ***! 130, 140, 150..........
He decides to slow it down a little and switch to the lane on the right, to get a better look at what mystery car is chopming on his heels. He takes a look over, gives an approving nod and goes for it again! Now, we went at it for another mile or so before he turned off, flashing his high beams a few times acknowledging a good run, and at one point I got up to 165. I KNOW I could have passed him, but was unfamiliar with the roads and was not willing to risk it. This was tremendous fun, especialy since it was my first 996! Race on fellas......Turby
Old 04-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Come on guys.....Ya only live once."

While it may be true that we all only live once, how much time we have here is finite in amount. I'd rather not have anyone's time shortened prematurely if I can. Therefore, I'll limit all my racing to the racetrack where it belongs.

Here's a video of me chasing an Audi-S4 at Sears Point a couple of weekends ago:

<a href="http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Porsche951vsAudiS4.avi" target="_blank">http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Porsche951vsAudiS4.avi</a> (in DivX-4 format)

<a href="http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/DivXcodec40a50.exe" target="_blank">http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/DivXcodec40a50.exe</a> (DivX codec)

Got a video of a 928-S4 on the way as well, much more fun...

Thanks Rage2 for the web-hosting space for these videos!
Old 04-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Turby
Banned

By the way, Tim, I am sorry to hear about your friend.........I would be devastated if I caused anything like that to happen. That does defenatly make one think twice. -Turby
Old 04-10-2002, 10:28 PM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Ok. I will fess up.

The local trash dump is situated about 3 miles off the highway, about 10 miles outside of town.

After 5:30PM or so, everyone is gone home for the day, and this incredible twisty road, newly paved, is completly free of traffic until the next morning. Great elevation changes, blind corners, 2 long straights over .5 mile, all for the taking. And due to its location, no police ever bother to go there.

All the fast guys in town know about it. Saturday nights are sweet with gas fumes and burnt rubber in the air.

I was out there on a Thursday, almost assured of having the place to myself. To my surprise, there was one guy already checking the road out.

Red Mustang GT, with a blower sticking out of the hood, and enough stickers to convice anyone that it could achieve escape velocity. Covered!

He looks at my Turbo, and just kinda smiles, like "I am gonna eat your lunch".

Rolling starts, I beat him 6 out of 8 runs, until the light was gone. He couldnt believe it. I had him by 4500rpm in 2nd almost every time.

I havent seen that car at the dumpraod lately.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Danno
Race Director

Angry

Too bad the trash dump in my town is located just 1km on the other side of the Sherriff's station...
Old 04-11-2002, 12:27 AM
Danno
Race Director

"Here's a video of me chasing an Audi-S4 at Sears Point a couple of weekends ago:"

Whoops, gave you guys the wrong CODEC to decode that video. It should be:
<a href="http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Divx412bundle.exe" target="_blank">http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Divx412bundle.exe</a> (DivX codec & Player)
You can remove the Playa application afterwards and keep the CODEC.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:00 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts
Cool

I too preffer to keep the high speed antics on the track (and runways), but when a SS camaro tries to hide up my *** on a long, flat empty ribbon of highway with no traffic and visability several miles ahead, I couldn't help but lean into her. About 70mph, I passed him and he immediately changed lanes into my draft. I downshifted to 4th and rolled into the hammer. It was on.. by 130 he was 4 car lengths back and fading. I'm not sure what I went up to but it was way more than he could. 2 miles later the highway ends and he pulled alongside with his head bobbing, thumbs up..wide eyed.. I rolled down my window, shrugged my shoulders and said.."but it's just a 4!" The look on his face was classic..
Old 04-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Es3L
Instructor

nose to nose with a civic si all decked out
light turned green.
tires screech.
hondas off like a bat outta hell.
slowly lunging my car to 45.
i lost
Old 04-11-2002, 02:29 AM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danno,

In a classic tale of human stupidity, the new dump with the great road has a story...

The city of Las Cruces NM is very very old, as in before the US Revolution old. It was a small trading post in Old Mexico, then a stop on the Pony Express. Billy the Kid and Pat Garett were frequent guests here. ( Pat Garrett was shot just up the road from me.) I moved here in '91, well before any real growth. The city is currently expanding like a mold, due to its 320+ days of 70+ degree sunshine a year.

The old dump was on a road behind the Hilton hotel and the mall, maybe 3 miles out. Middle of the desert, no problem. Then the city counsel decides to fill it in, because a lot of people want to build homes near the mall and major hotel.

Now this nasty, foul ground is less than 100 yards from some of the most expensive real estate in town. Any day now, some dumb bastard is gonna decide that the land is cheap enough to overlook the 300 years of refuse under 15 feet of sand.

That all is pretty bad. Here is the stupidity part.

I had an opportunity to buy over 600 acres of land in this area, back in 1994. The total sales price worked out to under $265 per acre. I instead decided to open a bar. I no longer have the bar, and I lost out on likely millions from the land that I thought was worse than worthless.

Live and learn, thank god I listened to my dad about M$ back in 1984.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:37 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Gotta say it.....Racing is for the track, not for the streets. There are a few of you who posted on this thread that scare the crap out of me. Irresponsible is too weak a word...Juvenile comes to mind. Yeah, sure, a good lawyer can keep your license clean but that unfortunate bastard you will ultimately kill will put blood on your hands that will never wash off. I have pulled people out of cars where neither the car nor the occupants were recognizable. A pedestrian hit by a car doing 70 in a 40 MPH zone and accelerating...a cyclist slammed into and through a plate glass window.I have been first on the scene for three fatalities, witnessing the accident and grateful it was not me.. Someday it may be me, and it will probably be at the hands of someone out to prove he has a bigger d!&k than the other guy.

Sorry for the rant, folks....Someone's gotta say it...

Bob S.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:41 AM
Danno
Race Director

Angry

"I instead decided to open a bar. I no longer have the bar, and I lost out on likely millions from the land that I thought was worse than worthless."

Well, it may have been for the best. Here in S.B., the exclusive Boccara Resort was build on land formerly used by the oil-companies for their storage and refineries. The Coastal Commission decided that a high-end resort would be more appropriate use of the land (prettier, touristy, etc...).

Anyway, on hot summer days, the sulfur bubbles out of the ground and chokes everyone, ahhahahahahaah!! Everyone ends up hiding indoors; the pool is empty, the beach is empty...

I'm planning on opening up a 24-hour club/bar/dance place someday... Just gotta get these little old ladies that run this town out of City Council. Perhaps some young, popular movie-actor may be persuaded to run for Mayor and change the rules a bit (like Clint Eastwood in Carmel)....

Quick Reply: Post your race stories here!!!!!!!!