Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Koni Install issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Koni Install issue

I ordered new Koni's for the rear (and front but, so far I haven't gotten there yet) of my 84 944 NA. I got the old ones out easily once I figured out that you had to jack up the control arm. I am however, unable to install the new ones. After a lot of grunting, twisting and forcing I got out my micrometer and figured out that the Koni's I got are 48 mm at the bottom and the struts I removed are around 40 MM at the bottom. As a result I can't get the new ones in at all. Does anyone have a pair of struts that they can measure? I am not sure if the PO just installed something and torqued it until it fit or if I need to send these back for a different strut. Could I maybe widen the space I have with a screw and 2 nuts?

Like this:

-----|X------X|-----
becomes

--|X-----------X|--

By screwing the X's (nuts) away from each other I would generate force on the pipes (strut housing) and bend it out Does that make sense? Is it a good idea?

I really don't want to replace the rear arms if I don't have to.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I can't tell what you are doing. You use the term "strut" and rear in the same sentence. Struts are in front and shocks are in the rear. Which end are you working on?

Got pictures? It will make this a lot easier for us to understand what you are up against. Either that, or give us a better description.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 268 Posts

You have the shocks for the late model 944 cars (which use the aluminum trailing arms). Get the right shocks (for the early steel control arms). Don't alter the control arms, or you will pay big buck to replace them.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 931guru
You have the shocks for the late model 944 cars (which use the aluminum trailing arms). Get the right shocks (for the early steel control arms). Don't alter the control arms, or you will pay big buck to replace them.
Do the early cars have a flange that the lower end of the shock is inserted into? The original post seems to imply the opening is too small and he wants to make it bigger by spreading the flange.

If this is the case - then yes - the wrong shocks have been purchased. I guessing there is a little confusion on terminology here. Maybe it's mostly as my end.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:16 AM
smokin_944
Racer

I agree with guru that they are the wrong shocks. Series 1 cars use different ones than the later cars. 26-1209Sports are the correct shocks for the 84.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 AM
MichaelK
Instructor

If shocks go in the rear then I meant to say shocks. I don't really understand the difference so I was using Shocks and struts to refer to any gas pressurized tube used in the suspension. I apologize for causing any confusion. Is it the spring that makes the difference?

I will post pics and check the part number tonight. I was definitely filtering by my year, make and model when I was shopping so I shouldn't have chosen the wrong part.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both the Front and Rear Suspension use 'Shocks' this is a Gas Pressurized Tube used to minimize "Shock" from dips and bumos in the road.

The 'Shocks' in the front go inside of a 'Strut' -the metal assembly which attaches the Coil Spring to the Shock..
Old 10-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pnbell

The 'Shocks' in the front go inside of a 'Strut' -the metal assembly which attaches the Coil Spring to the Shock..
Technically, that is a strut insert.

Perhaps we can just call them dampers.

I am not familiar with the rear setup on the early cars. I do know that different part numbers are called out between the early and late models. The width of the lower shock mount (eye) may be the big difference.

Attached is a view of a rear shock on a later (85.5) car. The lower shock mounting bolt is in single sheer (cantilevered) through the shock into the aluminum trailing arm. If the early cars mount in double sheer (flanges on both sides of the shock mount - as at the top of the shock) the proper lower shock mount dimension is critical.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2010, 01:36 PM
dontnow
Pro

If you can exchange the shocks do it, if you can't, then they can be used. Since the early cars use a pocket like a type 1 VW, they can be spread a small amount. You are talking about 4mm on either side which is not a huge amount. I have done this for a class 11 off road car with no harm. Just use a large fender washer to spread the load, and inspect the sheet metal and weld for stress while doing it.

Here is a pic for an early arm: http://www.volksdragon.org/P944reardiscs02.jpg

Last edited by dontnow; 10-21-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: edit for typo/pic link
Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

DontNow,

That pic is exactly where my issue is. The strut sits in the hole with the bolt through it. The diameter of the strut I removed is much smaller than the one I am trying to squeeze in there. I called the place I ordered it from and they are having a tech look at the issue and will figure out a solution with me.

I can see very clearly from Scott's pic how the late models are quite different from my early model. I can't see that I would have any issues if it was like his pic because I could just get a bigger bolt (assuming it was sturdy enough to handle the extra length).
Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
smokin_944
Racer

Lets take a look...
http://performance.importrp.com/koni...s/g-52201.aspx
Old 10-21-2010, 03:10 PM
smokin_944
Racer

Same as the ones on my 84. I am talking about the rear shocks.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:40 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MichaelK
If shocks go in the rear then I meant to say shocks. I don't really understand the difference so I was using Shocks and struts to refer to any gas pressurized tube used in the suspension.
Shocks dampen the suspension independent of supporting the car. Struts are a locating link in the steering/suspension.

You can drive a car without shocks--it'll just be bouncy. You can't drive a car without struts--there would be nothing to locate the spindle in the suspension.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

That makes sense pettyBird. That basically explains why I don't need an alignment after doing the rear shocks but do need one after doing the front struts
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin_944
I agree with guru that they are the wrong shocks. Series 1 cars use different ones than the later cars. 26-1209Sports are the correct shocks for the 84.
That is correct. The later shocks will not fit the early cars.

Quick Reply: Rear Koni Install issue