Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Modification

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010 | 01:53 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Question Suspension Modification

I'm planning to install a set of Koni yellow sport shocks front and rear as a weekend project.

It's my understanding that after the installation the 944 will require a front and rear wheel alignment, is this correct?

And can any wheel alignment shop perform this or does it require a specialty shop with the right equipment.

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-19-2010 | 02:06 PM
till_that_day
Instructor

Yes you will need an alignment, front only.

And yes, most shops can do the align, but you have to ask yourself if you want some kid making $8.50 an hour monkeying with your front end.

That being said they would really only have to adjust camber into spec, but not a bad idea to check toe and caster as well.
Old 10-19-2010 | 02:20 PM
RDL
Pro

Severian,
When was the last time you had a full alignment? If it has been a while you should go with the 4 wheel alignment. For this you will need a shop that has the correct (special) tools to do the rear of the car.
Old 10-19-2010 | 03:22 PM
James Chimney
Pro

also depending on what wheels you have (I have phone dials needs special hook up) I took mine to a Porsche shop I deal with, all set straight as an arrow.
Old 10-19-2010 | 03:37 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Most shops will just align the front, not a problem if the rear is in spec. (which it probably will be) It will need the front aligned for sure and they will just need to adjust the camber and toe because when the camber changes so does the toe. Any shop can do that, the front end of our cars is no different than other cars they align throughout the day. And it shouldn't matter what wheels you have, any half decent shop with an alignment rack has sensors that will mount any wheel.
Old 10-19-2010 | 03:56 PM
v944
Advanced

ok, what the %#@$ is going on, I need to do alignment for my 944T, but the catch is that rear ride height needs to be adjusted to a factory specs as well, so I call a dealer and asked just for alignment without mentioning anything about ride height (I figured they would have to do it anyway), so he tells me its going to cost me around $350, then I called a few porsche shops same story... what the hack is wrong with prices!?!?!?!?! I remember alignment used to cost around $70. So I ended up scheduling an appointment in one of the shops, I feel so bad giving out so much money for stupid thing like alignment!!!
Old 10-19-2010 | 05:52 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Severian
I'm planning to install a set of Koni yellow sport shocks front and rear as a weekend project.

It's my understanding that after the installation the 944 will require a front and rear wheel alignment, is this correct?

And can any wheel alignment shop perform this or does it require a specialty shop with the right equipment.

Thanks in advance...
Did you decide to keep the spacers in or out?
Old 10-19-2010 | 06:01 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by v944
ok, what the %#@$ is going on, I need to do alignment for my 944T, but the catch is that rear ride height needs to be adjusted to a factory specs as well, so I call a dealer and asked just for alignment without mentioning anything about ride height (I figured they would have to do it anyway), so he tells me its going to cost me around $350, then I called a few porsche shops same story... what the hack is wrong with prices!?!?!?!?! I remember alignment used to cost around $70. So I ended up scheduling an appointment in one of the shops, I feel so bad giving out so much money for stupid thing like alignment!!!
cause yer asking porsche shops and dealer....they're gonna make a killin off u.

go ask around for a hookup on japanese import places with their own alignment rack. places like tirerack/ntb/firestone will do half decent job, but u'll need to bring a rear toe adjustment tool cause they won't have it.
Old 10-19-2010 | 06:09 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

link to and pic of rear toe adjustment tool?
Old 10-19-2010 | 06:10 PM
krystar
Drifting

Old 10-19-2010 | 08:22 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone, I intend to get both front & rear wheels aligned just to be on the safe side.

I'm still debating on whether to remove the 1" spacer on the front springs and lower the front end due to the requirement of having to lower the rear also, but I haven't ruled it out.

I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Regards,
Severian
Old 10-19-2010 | 08:41 PM
till_that_day
Instructor

Originally Posted by James Chimney
also depending on what wheels you have (I have phone dials needs special hook up)

I had the guy that straightened my frame do mine, and his calipers for camber measurement kept trying to slip off of the lip of my Fuchs. Had to do it a few times to get it right.

Quick Reply: Suspension Modification