Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can not open rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Question can not open rear hatch

I noticed that the rear hatch on the 944 was getting harder to open. I would put key in, turn and the pass side opens easy, but drivers side hard. Now it will not open at all on driver side. I now have a rear hatch I can not open and it rattles. How do I get this to open. Do I need to pull light out to get to this or what.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:54 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

When my hatch got stuck a few years ago (because I botched the adjustment of the latches) I crawled into the hatch through the cabin and pulled down the carpeting along the back. This exposed the hatch release mechanism. I forgot exactly what I did, but I'm pretty sure I pulled on the tie rods back there (probably gripping them with pliers) and was able to release the hatch that way.

BB.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 AM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This worked for me and might work for others.

I crawled in the back and loosened the bolts to the receivers of the pins and then moved the receivers as far to the fenders side as I could push them with the hatch closed and the pins still in the receivers. I than retightened them and now I can open from the outside with the key again.

For two years I could not open the hatch with the key I could only open with the button inside the car. Now both ways work.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

This worked for me... I got a special tool... you may call it a brick but I prefer an "unlocking apparatus" or the U.A. Tool for short.... Place duct tape on the outside of the projected area (hatch glass) for the tool and then the tool works in a one single motion format... Throw it directly on to the taped area and it's like magic your hatch is opened and you also gain a rear vent to transfer air directly through the cabin... 10whp increase

Old 10-10-2010, 11:36 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep...crawl through to release it. Once it's open, clean the hatch pin receivers well and grease them liberally. Shouldn't have any issues for awhile after that. Now would also be a good time to reset the pins to make sure the hatch closes completely and evenly as well.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

I will look at this later. I will crawl in and pull carpet. Funny I do have an extra rear hatch, so the brick idea is not out of the question yet...........
Old 10-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

I fixed the hatch. First, I did not have to use the brick method. Less of a clean up the other way.
I pulled the carpet and unscrewed the mechanism. I had to screw in the mechanism so when I turned the key, it open the hole enough to allow the hatch to open properly. Ahhhhhhhhh, another job well done.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 AM
n_hall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i couldn't get mine adjusted enough to work. i had to take the lock mech off. then using a round file, i had to file away at the hole the pins go through. the pins were going too far towards the center of the car. then re-installed at it's worked ever since. while i had the mechs off i also gave them a bath in liquid wrench.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 PM
pjstevens77
Instructor

I just replaced my hatch pins, the rubber mounting nut and hardware for about $30 at my local Porsche dealer. I adjusted the length of the hatch pins and I had to get the locks in the right position. The key is in adjusting the locking mechanisms as described in the link below and it worked like a charm for me.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...h-problem.html

Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
till_that_day
Instructor

my prob is a little different but kinda the same...

ever since I had my frame straightened mine wont open. Ive pulled the drain covers off the bottom from the inside, moved the "black boxes" all around, sprayed in penetrating oil, checked the pushrods, checked the latch, pushed down from the outside and still nothing. Am I a candidate for the brick method? I could really use that extra hp. lol

is there a way to remove the recievers from the inside without destroying them?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 123 Posts

Have you tried pushing down on the hatch while someone hits the release?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Sands944
This worked for me and might work for others.

I crawled in the back and loosened the bolts to the receivers of the pins and then moved the receivers as far to the fenders side as I could push them with the hatch closed and the pins still in the receivers. I than retightened them and now I can open from the outside with the key again.

For two years I could not open the hatch with the key I could only open with the button inside the car. Now both ways work.
^solution, how i did it too
Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM
pjstevens77
Instructor

Originally Posted by till_that_day
my prob is a little different but kinda the same...

ever since I had my frame straightened mine wont open. Ive pulled the drain covers off the bottom from the inside, moved the "black boxes" all around, sprayed in penetrating oil, checked the pushrods, checked the latch, pushed down from the outside and still nothing. Am I a candidate for the brick method? I could really use that extra hp. lol

is there a way to remove the recievers from the inside without destroying them?
If the problem started after the frame straightening then that whole hatch is probably totally out of alignment. I'm guessing that there is too much pressure on the pins from the hatch being out of whack and that is what might be causing the latches to not release. Just like the above post describes I crawled in the back on my stomach and loosened the left latch (black box) and moved it inboard and nudged the glass with my shoulder a bit and it popped right open. I think if you loosened the 10mm nuts on the latches way out and try to pull the latch down and jiggle it, it might release. You might want to get a helper to turn the key and push down on the hatch or jiggle it. You can also try to manually push the actuator on the back of the latches to release them as well. The key is to get those latches in perfect alignment with the pins and the key lock. The rods have to move at the right angle and be at the proper length. There is an adjuster on the rods but I don't think you'll have to use that. I would guess that the hatch would need to be at least loosened at the hinges and then attempt to line it up once you get it open. I'm probably telling you things you already know but it was worth a shot.

Quick Reply: can not open rear hatch