Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:14 PM
kab996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were racing we wouldnt be talking about 250lb springs. 944 is a sports car at least try to keep it that way.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
Racecar vehicle dynamics by Milliken is so much more information than 99.99% of people need or can digest...

The argument on the affects of lowering a car can only be answered by knowing the tire's sensitivity to camber and load. Without that, we are just guessing.

None of us here have that tire data (that I know of), so we are left to work with experience. M758 and a several others have that experience.

Mike, I'm sorry but you kind of lost credibility as an expert when you mentioned 400# front springs with a stock rear torsion bar handling OK. Camber, tire pressures, etc are for tweaking ... not fixing grossly mismatched springrates.
Great, suits me - I don't want to be known as an expert. Definition of expert: X is the unknown quantity and a spurt is a drip under pressure

As far as I recall, I didn't say that 400lb springs with stock torsions handled ok. I guess that's the problem with writing about this sort of stuff using subjective terms. It was certainly driveable, and quicker than stock when driven appropriately; although obviously compromised in certain definable aspects it was a worthwhile exercise and much more fun than simply bandying words around.

Milliken is a great reference and i just mentioned it in case people want to do some more research for their own interest. For example, definitions of "grip" and "handling".
Old 10-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikey, didn't you recommend "DO NOT remove the spacer"?

Anyway, mhr you maybe right about the spacer being only 1", and that should work in my favor by lowering the front end by only 1".

It means the difference between the front and rear height would be less after lowering.

Does anyone see a problem with this logic?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are 1" spacers and your car is currently level with them in then the rear end may already be lowered 1/4 inch with the eccentrics.

If this is the case then you may not have much more lowering possible without re indexing. All speculation at this point. I cant wait to hear what happens when the talking stops and the wrenching starts.

Take some pictures and post them as I will be playing with the same stuff later on this fall.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Severian
Mikey, didn't you recommend "DO NOT remove the spacer"?
Context, Severian, context!

I lived in Missouri (the "Show Me" State) for a while. I suggest you try removing the spacer as a learning exercise, and report back.

Quick Reply: Suspension Lowering