Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MaxJax On The Way - Come On Over Austin Listers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MaxJax On The Way - Come On Over Austin Listers!

Ordered my MaxJax today...scheduled an October 6th delivery - I'm going to have to go pick it up - their delivery service won't take it off the truck for you and all bolted together it weighs about 900lbs. I don't want to rent something to pull that down so I'm just going to show up at their warehouse and have them load it into the back of my truck.

Any of you Austin guys that want to wrench with your car 4 feet off the ground in a garage - holler at me. I'm happy to return the favor for anyone who is willing to help me swap my turbo out. I'll even get all the messy stuff out of the way - just mainly want someone whose done this before so I don't get myself into too much trouble...especially with that lower hex bolt into the motor mount.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post some pics and any of you Austin guys - would love to have you over anytime...I'm in south Austin now - down by Circle C.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd like to know about your experience with this, please and thanks... I'm seriously considering this in the early new year (possible bonus time)...

Thanks...
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Relaxed90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got a MaxJax 2post and it has been great so far. The main concern is your concrete pad that you will be using to install the anchors to.

It has been great especially for drivetrain & engine removal.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm interested to hear your feedback. If I were still in DFW, I'd make a weekend trip down to help you!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:21 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Austin, but I've never done a turbo swap so I probably wouldn't be of any use. And I have a bunch of tests right around the corner.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:59 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Relaxed90
We've got a MaxJax 2post and it has been great so far. The main concern is your concrete pad that you will be using to install the anchors to.

It has been great especially for drivetrain & engine removal.
Thanks, it's a leap of faith on my part...I have a 2 year old house with a 3-car garage and a deep foundation because my lot isn't level so I think I'll be good. I'm just going to keep it away from the edge of the foundation (ideally would love to get it in my 3rd bay where I leave the 951, but I'd have to put one of the posts right on the edge of the wall/foundation).

I've seen a bunch of posts of folks who are putting this in their garage as/is with no repouring where they are going to anchor, so I'm crossing my fingers mine will be OK. Just hoping I can steer clear of any rebar while I'm drilling...
Old 09-19-2010, 06:01 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I'm interested to hear your feedback. If I were still in DFW, I'd make a weekend trip down to help you!
Damn Darwin - that would have been awesome. I know there are some folks around Austin that wrench...I'd happily supply beer, some USDA Prime ribeye's, single malt scotch, cuban cigars, whatever it takes!!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choinga,

Though I travel out of state a lot, I am a pretty fair wrench with a decent tools collection. I live in Burnet, but maybe I can help out. Havben't done a swap, but I have non street legal 89 951 that I do all my own work on and trailer to the track.

I might be available the evening of Oct 6.

Lynn
Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Lynn!!! Really appreciate it. We'll be assembling on the 6th or 7th and then I'm going to have the car sitting on it at various heights over the next day or so before I get under it.

It would probably be the week after maybe? I'm pretty open actually - I work from home and travel frequently so when I'm home, I'm home. Really appreciate it - and if you ever need a lift and/or an extra set of hands, I'd be happy to return the favor. I'm steadily learning to wrench on these cars - I'm not a mechanic by trade at all although I have an engineering degree (but never used it in the real world...work in the computer industry now). One of the main reasons I bought this car was to get my hands dirty and so far I've done pretty much everything on it - including new MAF/piggyback, injectors, all new vacuum lines, Tial WG, and all the regular maintenance. I think I could probably pull the turbo job off - just would like someone who has been in there before and knows the 'tricks'.

Quick Reply: MaxJax On The Way - Come On Over Austin Listers!