Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 944 NA Strut Replacement, Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Grasshopper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 944 NA Strut Replacement, Options?

So I need to replacement the front struts on my car, and I'm wondering what available options I have? I know that the 87 and later are the sealed strut type and I was wondering who all makes a strut insert replacement for this type? I know that Koni has an insert that will work, which requires me to cut open my old strut. Is Koni the only one that does this? I've also heard that I could but strut housings from earlier models and just install new inserts into them and then use them. Is this a possibility? And if so, does any 83-86 strut work? Basically and suggestions would be helpful. I'm trying to avoid just buying a factory replacement strut since those run about $250 apiece.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni inserts are the way to go, IMO.

Early offset suspension parts will need more updates...should I say, backdates to the rest of your front suspension to make them work.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:28 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grasshopper
So I need to replacement the front struts on my car, and I'm wondering what available options I have?
Koni, or replace the entire strut.

I know that the 87 and later are the sealed strut type and I was wondering who all makes a strut insert replacement for this type? I know that Koni has an insert that will work, which requires me to cut open my old strut. Is Koni the only one that does this?
Yes, Koni is the only one that offers this type of insert.

I've also heard that I could but strut housings from earlier models and just install new inserts into them and then use them. Is this a possibility? And if so, does any 83-86 strut work? Basically and suggestions would be helpful. I'm trying to avoid just buying a factory replacement strut since those run about $250 apiece.
Thanks
No, early struts DO NOT fit late suspension, not without modification that is, the spacing and hole dimmensions are different...

Your decissions are either:
A) Hacksaw mod your struts (cheapest)
B) Replace the entire strut (best mrodernization of the setup)
C) Buy all the early suspension pieces, backdate your suspension, and then you can buy aftermarket inserts for the early struts that accept inserts... (Just a plain waste of time, money and parts)
Old 09-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the Koni yellow inserts and If you do not want to do the cutting and stuff Paragon Products has a bolt on option where you trade in your old struts.

I used them and it worked great and I have noticed a huge difference in the cars performance. (no affiliation just a happy customer)
Old 09-16-2010, 03:44 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Koni hack... do it... you won't regret it.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Grasshopper
Intermediate

Thanks for the replys everyone. I was planning on going with the Koni hacksaw job, but just wanted to make sure that there wasn't any other available options. Also, I was thinking of replacing my springs while I was at it, and I was wondering if the Weltmeister 220 lb spring would be a good combination with these struts? I was also kicking around the idea of upgrading my stock sway bars to those off of a 951, would this work out to be a good set up for the street? Not planning on doing any kind of track use with the car at this point.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes... but the springs will drop the stock ride height if you don't put spacers on the setup...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Grasshopper
Intermediate

750hm, I'm assuming that the spacers that your talking about are the same spacers that weltmeister sales for these springs?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Those would be the ones...

Quick Reply: 87 944 NA Strut Replacement, Options?