Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S belt change - blown new water pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:44 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 944 S belt change - blown new water pump

I had a front engine reseal and new belts put back on. Even do I had new belts, rollers and water pump. 13000 miles ago. I also had the cam chain tensor and chain replaced, as well as an oil change, new oil sender and gear box oil, Pick up the car from the garage. Turned it over sounded much quiter as the chain had been tap the inside off the Cam cover. But the belts did sound a bit tight. I drove home the 15miles back. And everything seemed fine was keeping an eye on the oil perssure as my old one wasn't working. The next day I check the oil to see if it need adding, and noticed the header tank was low I couldn't see a reading. I pinched the hose and it seemed empty, so I filled the tank, took about 8 glasses, each glass was probley about 330ml so about 2 ltrs. Turned the car over and couldn't see any leaks. So I drove 2 my local supermarket about 5 miles away on a 60mph road, noticed the temp gauge rise almost 2 the 2nd White mark. It's never climbed this high ever in my 16000miles owner ship. When I got 2 tesco, I noticed burnt / oil look on my right headlight. Pulled up and there was some steam, the front off the sound deading was wet but just the tip. The system was completey empty. No drips under the car. The tank was cold and there was no preusser when I removed the cap. The hoses could all be pinched flat with little effort. The system took another 2 ltrs 2 fill. ? So I'm guessing it's not filling the system.Strek

My 1st thought wAs the new belts has blown the pump, as the steam was around that side off the block. But the pump is only 13000miles old. How would I tell is the pump has blown? I didn't hear any strange noisesStrek

But everything was running fine b4 the work?Strek
Old 09-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Originally Posted by t3rra
I had a front engine reseal and new belts put back on. Even do I had new belts, rollers and water pump. 13000 miles ago. I also had the cam chain tensor and chain replaced, as well as an oil change, new oil sender and gear box oil, Pick up the car from the garage. Turned it over sounded much quiter as the chain had been tap the inside off the Cam cover. But the belts did sound a bit tight. I drove home the 15miles back. And everything seemed fine was keeping an eye on the oil perssure as my old one wasn't working. The next day I check the oil to see if it need adding, and noticed the header tank was low I couldn't see a reading. I pinched the hose and it seemed empty, so I filled the tank, took about 8 glasses, each glass was probley about 330ml so about 2 ltrs. Turned the car over and couldn't see any leaks. So I drove 2 my local supermarket about 5 miles away on a 60mph road, noticed the temp gauge rise almost 2 the 2nd White mark. It's never climbed this high ever in my 16000miles owner ship. When I got 2 tesco, I noticed burnt / oil look on my right headlight. Pulled up and there was some steam, the front off the sound deading was wet but just the tip. The system was completey empty. No drips under the car. The tank was cold and there was no preusser when I removed the cap. The hoses could all be pinched flat with little effort. The system took another 2 ltrs 2 fill. ? So I'm guessing it's not filling the system.Strek

My 1st thought wAs the new belts has blown the pump, as the steam was around that side off the block. But the pump is only 13000miles old. How would I tell is the pump has blown? I didn't hear any strange noisesStrek

But everything was running fine b4 the work?Strek
Fill it back up with coolant and pressure test the coolant system look for any leaks.
Check your oil for milkshake color or coolant.
Check your warranty on the repair work you had done to see if the water pump is covered.

-BB
Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 PM
t3rra
Instructor

It's all ok now! Iv found the the fault, the small hose that joins the hardline alone the engine 2 the pump had been caught when the oil filter was changed. Quite relived now!

Thanks

Quick Reply: 944 S belt change - blown new water pump