Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difficult problem, really need help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 06:42 PM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post difficult problem, really need help..

My '86 944 will not run properly after the engine rebuilt. It doesn't want to run on all 4 cilinders. The car ran okay before the rebuild, idling good. Decided to do a rebuild after compression test. (6 bar at #1 and #4 cilinder)

After the rebuild I checked my compression (15 bar), spark is good, timing is set correctly, speed/reference sensors mounting block adjusted correctly, measured resistance of speed/reference sensors (both 1050 Ohm, should be okay) I have had the injectors cleaned and checked their connectors for current, all injector connectors have current. DME relay is good (tested it on a friends car) I sprayed some cold starting fluid in the intake manifold, engine seemed to run smood for a second then backfired.

To be honest, I am at a total loss..

Does anybody have any tips, I would really appriciate it.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Untier
Racer

any chance of having the cam and crank off slightly? ive never been into a p motor, dont know for sure if it could be done?
start from the basics and go over it all, plug wires correct order?
Old 05-10-2003, 07:53 PM
Magnus
Racer

Are all injectors operating? (listen with a stethoscope or something)
Spark at all plugs?
Fuel pressure okay?

//Magnus
Old 05-10-2003, 10:46 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

check your injectors connection to the harness ,then the fpr
Old 05-11-2003, 03:30 PM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

Finally found what was wrong, turned out three of my "cleaned" injectors were clogded up. Turned them back to the company that should have cleaned them. I expect the car will run if the injectors are working. (I will replace my fuel filter though, just to be safe)

So thanks for the replies, it did help checking the simple stuff.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:16 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry they were idiots! I can't believe they were paid to clean the injectors, and tried to get off with doing one!

- Julie
Old 05-13-2003, 10:50 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 944Targa-fan:
<strong>Finally found what was wrong, turned out three of my "cleaned" injectors were clogded up. Turned them back to the company that should have cleaned them.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">What's this company's name? I have to send out my injectors too. It would be helpful if I could avoid them.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:32 AM
Mledbetter
Racer

Keep in mind that the solvent most places use when cleaning injectors can cause sticking problems if you don't install soon after they are complete. RC Engineering warns of this...
Old 05-13-2003, 12:09 PM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

In response about the injectors, the company I send them to is actually a very decent one. They rebuilded my cilinderhead for $150, that means, lapping the valves, de-chocking, skimming, steam cleaning and new valve stem seals.

They completely rebuilded my engine block for $80, installing all the rods, pistonrings, cleaning it. (I did supply all the parts) and they let me use their tools and workshop to install all the other stuff.

I send them four injectors before, they cleaned them, fitted new seals and new filters for $95

The last time something apperently went wrong, but maybe I was to blaim, although the engine ran fine with the old fuel filter the fuel contained to much dirt for the new injectors. I send them the injectors yesterday, they cleaned them for my again at no costs the same day.

I installed them yesterday with a new fuel filter and the engine runs like it rolled out of the factory yesterday.

The name of the company is: Krijgsman motorenrevisie located in Rotterdam the Netherlands. (handy if you're in the neighbourhood)

Quick Reply: difficult problem, really need help..