Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket lifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 AM
VB_Racing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket lifters

I saw a thread a while ago that talked about an aftermarket lifter for the 16v motors,and the 928s4 motors.They were the same as several audi and vw engines. I have searched and could not revive that thread. I think I have the distributor for the lifters , but I want to be sure before I order. The link is: http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...ion-p-464.html . Does anybody know if these are compatible? Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 AM
john durdin
Advanced

ORDER ONE AND COMPARE AT THAT PRICE THEY ARE A REAL FIND IF THEY WORK JOHN
Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

FYI- Those lifters are clearly not OEM so it's buyer beware as there is no way of knowing the quality, metallurgy, fit, etc.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:14 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory lifters are @ $32 each...what's the price on these ones?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
VB_Racing
Intermediate

These are roughly 17 bucks each, BUT they weigh 3/4 of an ounce less, alot less stress on the valvetrain. As far as quality, the INA lifters Porsche sells now aren't exactly premium quality, so I think that I will take the chance.
I remember seeing a post about these lifters a few months ago, but for the life of me can't find it. I do have an E mail in to the shop that sells them, hopefully they can at the least give me dimensiions. I'll keep this updated. Thanks!!

Dave
Old 08-16-2010, 02:29 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VB_Racing
These are roughly 17 bucks each, BUT they weigh 3/4 of an ounce less, alot less stress on the valvetrain. As far as quality, the INA lifters Porsche sells now aren't exactly premium quality, so I think that I will take the chance.
I remember seeing a post about these lifters a few months ago, but for the life of me can't find it. I do have an E mail in to the shop that sells them, hopefully they can at the least give me dimensiions. I'll keep this updated. Thanks!!

Dave

Please expand on this train of thought.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM
VB_Racing
Intermediate

The reasoning behind is that less weight on the valvetrain means faster revving, less valve float, and a lesser need for valve spring weight. That is why you can run a higher RPM with lighter valvetrain.
This is also the reasoning behind titanium valves, and titanium and aluminum keepers. Less valvetrain weight directly equates to more power, higher safe RPM limits on the valvetrain, and quicker revving.
It does still need to be strong ehough for durability , however.

Dave
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ight=vw+lifter

Originally Posted by lucifer_sam
So if any one's interested, the VW lifter P/N is 050.109.309.J. These are nearly identical to the porsche lifter P/N 928.105.312.02 - the only difference is a circumferential grove at the oil inlet hole (the porsche head has this groove cut in it, so the Porsche lifters don't have it), but it doesn't change anything about the fit or operation of the lifter. It remains to be seen how the VW lifters wear compared to the Porsche units.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
VB_Racing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
That's the one!! I looked right at that post, but must not have made it to the end!! I'll keep this updated,when I get them installed.
FWIW I am an engine builder and auto tech by profession as well as a hobby. I might not take the risk with these if I did not have the resources and equipment that I have at my disposal. If these work well , you might squeak out a couple horses, and hopefully not have the noise issues of the stock OE replacement INA lifters that porsche is selling now. The price is about 10 bucks less a piece too for a bonus.

Dave
Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 PM
carlege
Drifting

how far along are you on the build
Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
VB_Racing
Intermediate

Not really a build, just freshening up, and doing preventative maintenance. I have the cams out,replaced tensioner pads and J tube, replacing lifters. Pulled intake and replaced the few vacuum lines that were there. Replaced oil separator seals. Replaced water pump, balance shaft and timing belt, and all seals in front of the engine. Replaced the oil cooler seals. Replaced the rod bearings. I am ordering the lifters tomorrow, and replacing the timing chain also. The car has 130k on it, uses no oil, has good compression, and runs well. After I'm done the car should be like new engine wise.
I did find I had to make alot more wiring repairs than I thought. The car ran well, but it wasn't going to be long until the electrical gremlins were going to set in.
After this is done , in for paint....YAAY??

Dave
Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 PM
cjpacitto
AutoX

Wow, this is interesting. I too need to replace the lifters on a 16v head. I have not heard anything good about the INF? lifters...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Factory lifters are @ $32 each...what's the price on these ones?

Where are they 32 bucks ?? I seen new ones for like 80 bucks.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 PM
VB_Racing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theykallmekem
Where are they 32 bucks ?? I seen new ones for like 80 bucks.

That's for 8v lifters, the 16v lifters are 30 or so. I found the INA lifters for 28 ea. Porsche figures since they are only selling 8 they better double the price.

Dave
Old 08-16-2010, 11:38 PM
VB_Racing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cjpacitto
Wow, this is interesting. I too need to replace the lifters on a 16v head. I have not heard anything good about the INF? lifters...

I'll keep ya posted.

dave

Quick Reply: Aftermarket lifters