Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket lifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 AM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VB_Racing
Porsche figures since they are only selling 8 they better double the price.

Dave

Old 08-17-2010, 03:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

There was meant to be an issue with some of the INA ones of late too, but I'd have to read up on that to nominate said issue. Anyone? That may just be 8v ones though.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Porsche16V944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard to tell from the pic cause all VW/audi lifters look the same, but if they are lifters for a VW 8V, Mk4 AEG engine code lifters are the ones to use. They are lighter from the factory (and probably what 034 is selling as "lightweight")

I know you can use them in any 8V and they cost about $10ea. It would be good to know if they would work in a p-car
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 PM
cjpacitto
AutoX

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Please expand on this train of thought.
Everything I read about the INA lifters is bad. Lot of reports of early failure. No reports of happy customers (though happy people rarely post about such things).

I think this issue is also complicated by the fact that there is no real info (that I have found) on how to test your lifters (once removed from the engine) to tell if they are any good or not. I pulled 16 of these INA's out of the engine I am rebuilding. 5 are springy. The other 11 seem fully collapsed.

Any alternative to INA lifters that has a reliable reputation is worth looking into.

Lighter weight valve train componets do result in less valve train stress and higher RPM, however I don't think replacing lifters alone will make too much difference without going with a fully planned out engine package.

I'd be very open to hearing other opinions on these issues. I'm pretty much at the point where I have to buy lifters to continue with my build. I've been dragging my feet for 2 weeks now but will have to get back to this project soon.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
VB_Racing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cjpacitto
Everything I read about the INA lifters is bad. Lot of reports of early failure. No reports of happy customers (though happy people rarely post about such things).

I think this issue is also complicated by the fact that there is no real info (that I have found) on how to test your lifters (once removed from the engine) to tell if they are any good or not. I pulled 16 of these INA's out of the engine I am rebuilding. 5 are springy. The other 11 seem fully collapsed.

Any alternative to INA lifters that has a reliable reputation is worth looking into.

Lighter weight valve train componets do result in less valve train stress and higher RPM, however I don't think replacing lifters alone will make too much difference without going with a fully planned out engine package.

I'd be very open to hearing other opinions on these issues. I'm pretty much at the point where I have to buy lifters to continue with my build. I've been dragging my feet for 2 weeks now but will have to get back to this project soon.
I agree that no huge gains will be made(Maybe a 1 or 2 HP gain max), but 3/4 of an ounce per lifter is around a 30% advantage in weight. This will be beneficial as far as drag, and less of a burden on the valvespring. I would bet you could use a lighter valvespring with this, but at the stock rev limit the advantage would be negligible. I do think the biggest advantage will be longevity. The price is the clencher. I will be getting this put together and hope to having it running by next weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Dave
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 PM
cjpacitto
AutoX

So I read the original thread that fortysixandtwo posted a link to. I was wondering how things turned out with that car so I sent an email to lucifer_sam to ask him. I got the following response:

Hi Chris - I put a couple thousand miles on the lifters before selling the car and I had no problems with them. I sold it to Bob "Crimson Nape Racing" on Rennlist - you may want to ask him how they've been holding up. Chris at CS Motorsports found the parts for me, so he may have tried some on his track cars since then. He can be reached at chris@csmotorsports.net
I'm kind of new around here. Does anyone know Bob???

Quick Reply: Aftermarket lifters