Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - how to remove a broken bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts
Default DIY - how to remove a broken bolt

I took a video of using the welding method to remove a broken bolt. The bolt in question was an M6 bolt in the aluminum axle carrier of a 996 - it's the bolt that holds the wheel speed (ABS) sensor on.

Anyhow, hopefully some people will find it useful:

Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Van - thanks for all the instructional videos, they are great!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Van, I'm pretty new to welding: is it necessary to do anything to the nut before welding?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Thanks Van -- great video. Do you leave the DME connected when you weld on the chassis like that?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Van, I'm pretty new to welding: is it necessary to do anything to the nut before welding?
Nope, it was just a new M8 nut. The zinc coating on the nut gets instantly burned off from the heat.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thanks Van -- great video. Do you leave the DME connected when you weld on the chassis like that?
I did leave the battery hooked up yesterday - it was late and I wanted to be done! But, usually, I try to disconnect the negative battery terminal if I'm welding on a fuel injected car.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Nope, it was just a new M8 nut. The zinc coating on the nut gets instantly burned off from the heat.

I did leave the battery hooked up yesterday - it was late and I wanted to be done! But, usually, I try to disconnect the negative battery terminal if I'm welding on a fuel injected car.

But I assume the DME still works fine?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:37 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up. Is that a MIG welding?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 AM
krystar
Drifting

although not necessary, it certainly doesn't hurt to hit the bolt with a wire wheel or even just a steel brush. get any rust off so it can make a good arc.

yea that's mig welder. although u can do same with a stick/arc welder
Old 08-14-2010, 03:13 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by krystar
although not necessary, it certainly doesn't hurt to hit the bolt with a wire wheel or even just a steel brush. get any rust off so it can make a good arc.

Although ive never used any type of welder (never had the chance) i have had a chance to see stick welders and i cant imagine how hard it would be to weld a small piece with a stick welder...... maybe they have smaller sticks?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
But I assume the DME still works fine?
Correct, in this instance, there was no ill affect to the DME (or any of the other electronic systems).

Originally Posted by krystar

Also correct, you need to start with things pretty clean. I had actually used a wire brush on everything. This helps for 2 reasons: first, rust/corrosion isn't very conductive, so cleaning it off helps make a better starting arc; and second, rust/corrosion doesn't make a very strong weld (once you've made an arc).

Originally Posted by carlege
Although ive never used any type of welder (never had the chance) i have had a chance to see stick welders and i cant imagine how hard it would be to weld a small piece with a stick welder...... maybe they have smaller sticks?
This was an M6 bolt. I think you'd have to be quite talented to get the same results with a stick welder - but it is possible!

A note about welders: most small "consumer welders" are wire-feed welders (like a MIG) that use a flux core wire. While these do work, a MIG (or MIG conversion) which uses a shielding gas for flux, isn't much more expensive, but delivers superior results. If you ever contemplate purchasing a welder, go for the extra expense for the MIG - it's well worth it.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great video, thanks!

However, for those of us without the benefit of having a welder handy, I find the following stud removing tool invaluable when the broken bolt is not flush and there is still a stub protruding:

Old 08-14-2010, 10:31 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This method is used a lot on broken head bolts /studs on the Ford flathead engines I mess with. One very good additional step is to put a stick of paraffin wax on the hot bolt after welding. It melts and wicks into the threads even better than penetrating oil, then solidifies. It really gets in there deep and is good lubrication.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:39 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Van, you rock.

Your waterpump video gave me confidence to DIY mine, and I did with 100% success.

Thanks bro!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 PM
968 GUY
Racer

One of the engine rebuilders, cannot remember which one, recommends removing head studs before shipping, and says the best method for removing studs is to weld a nut to the stud, says the heat helps to break the loctite from around the threads.
Have used this method in my job as a DON mechanic, and shipyard mechanic.
I've heard of the parrafin technique several times before.

Quick Reply: DIY - how to remove a broken bolt