Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lower my 944?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't forget to roll your fenders.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Mikes-951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i lowered my car today, i have the turbo S so the fronts were just coil-overs, i also lowered the rear by adjusting the torsion bar. (just the 3 bolts on each side). i don't like how the rear rides and i cant go for a flush look because when i get on it, i know it will rub. SO my options are to either go coils in the rear, or torsion bar replacement. What one is easier to do? and are there any coils that you would recommend?
Old 08-18-2015, 04:37 PM
thetraynor0216
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F2 Iceland
Slammed 44's are the way to goooo,,

Both cars running paragon kit in front and bigger and re index'd torsion bars
Wheel specs?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:29 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Go with coilovers front and rear. It's the only way you will really be able to achieve the look and have the easy adjustability needed to fine-tune how low you want the car to be.
Nu-uh, you could add a bunch of bricks and +- to get the stance you want.. Even corner balance!!

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Just don't complain when your handling characteristics turn to ****!
Yup may as well use bricks dudes!!

Then as an added benefit you could use much more loud pedal taking off without breaking the speed limits as much so people a bit further away can hear you so they turn there heads to see how awesome your car looks and still have time to catch a glimpse

WIN WIN

You definitely don't want a turbo because then you'd be gone before anyone could figure who and what that was..

Yeah bricks, stance, loud, slow, perfection..
Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 322 Posts

This car is lowered just about as far as you can practically go and not totally upset the steering in the front or the constant velocity joints in the rear. It uses the Paragon Products "944 Spec 1" suspension kit, with the front using 350 lb springs (which effectively lowers the front of the car) and the new 30mm torsion bars re-indexed in the rear to obtain a level ride height. This is a track prep so it also has heavy roll (sway) bars, which would not be absolutely neccesary for a street car as they neither add not detract from the lowering part. As you lower the car, the angle of the halfshafts in the rear becomes pretty steep. If you go too far, you will risk tearing up the CV joints, as they will be operating at an angle that is outside of their design parameters. Same with the steering arms in the front, as lowering increases their angle from stock, where they are basically level. This puts unknown forces on the tie-rod ends. So proceed at your own risk! This is a 1985 car. Rear coilovers were not required to get this amount of lowering. The tires are 15" x 225mm at all 4 corners, early offset Fuchs, no special spacers required, and no rolling of the fenders required. It is so stiff that if you have any sort of clearance between the tires and the wheel wells when the car is at rest, there isn't much relative motion when you drive it and thus I haven't had any tire rub issues.

I also have a car with the Weltmeister 200 lb front springs, again with the stock rear torsion bars re-indexed to give a level ride height. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that car here at work but I will point out that the last time I took it in for the required NC state safety inspection, all 3 inspection stations in town rejected it, not because it was illegal but simply because it was too low to get up on their inspection lift. I wound up have to remove the front lower valence so they could get it on the lift. A real PIA. It is not as low as the orange car, which is not street legal and thus doesn't need state inspections.

The 944 Spec 1 suspension kit is several thousand bucks and you would probably want to put in new bushings, etc at the same time. And it is a lot of work! There are multiple articles on my website about the work required to rebuild/adjust the suspension.

If you want it "slammed" right to the ground, I'm the wrong guy to ask but I would think you would have to use air bags so you could raise it back up to drive it.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:10 AM
grenadiers
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For stock street cars, stock shocks and struts are a problem when lowering the car. At least on my first attempt at a Spec 924S build, lowering the car too much, and the car runs on bump stops only. Very harsh and useless on the track.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:50 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

But I must say I am impressed that the OP actually got genuine advice instead of being flamed. I really don't understand why rennlist has such a bad rep.

Quick Reply: How to lower my 944?