Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

you'll think you died and went to heaven...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:43 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its louder..yes...but i think the stock exhaust has "the Porsche note" Sounds like one with the stock exhaust.
With all the other exhaust systems it sounds louder but not as nice.

The trick is not to blow your ear drums, but to have a nice note and to let the engine be heard juuust a bit. The stock exhaust does just that perfectly.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:35 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the RS Barn exhaust isn't too bad, but i wonder if it would sound better without the cat, as that indeed, could be the problem. i'll concede the RS Barn thing does make a decent foooom sound while cruising, which is good but, both of those examples still sound rather small and fartcanny.

as Butters, or the rest of the guys who're running straight pipes with the proper resonators, can attest, they'll tell you their systems sound in proportion to the size engines they're running (big).... but, again, it's one of those things where you have to be there. a cheap recording device doesn't seem to capture (big) very well.... but, to be fair, you will end up with a loud exhaust, if the components you choose are too small. but just the same,

the burble mine makes at idle is sexy.... and sounds really good when you accelerate, you get this sick crackle as you downshift or let off the gas... then a big, symphonic roar when you step on it.... finally, the deep, rich FOOOOM while highway cruising is sublime. sounds like maybe 3.5 + litres–like it's supposed to. not loud, as much as big.

the 3.0 is a monster. it should sound like it.

unfortunately, nothing like that is going on in the video above.....

to be sure, our standards have been ratcheted down with these stock exhausts.... it's not Porsche's fault. they had to produce a production car exhaust for a highly compromised design (a big four cylinder engine)... but, in the case of the 968, (in an effort to control the vibrations) they built an extremely heavy exhaust that weighs the car down... and it leaves very little of the 3.0's variable valve/semi-exotic engine sound behind... the result on both of those cars above is not only a weak and rather rancid, note.... but they sound only a little bigger than the cheap econo-fours with 1.8~2.0 litres of displacement.

just my 0.02.

Originally Posted by Ispeed

I got to drive this car last night, so I will give my report on the sound.

It has a big deep sound, and It sounds to me like a tweaked 911 six cylinder sound. It's good stuff.....there aren't many out there (like 928s) unless you know someone with one.

Anyways, there it is...

Last edited by odurandina; 08-17-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM
mfwm3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My exhaust sounds like a fart can. Can anyone recommend where to get a stock exhaust at a reasonable price?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Alpineace
Pro

sorry but I hate the "v8" wanna be deep but empty sound.

The RS barn one (second one in the video) sound more like a 4cyl ferrari, which is better than american v8.

I like a "tight" sound, Big v8s don't sound tight at all, they sound like a rednecks queefs.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

I must respectfully disagree.

the typical V8 coming from 2 pipes at close range is the problem. it's what we've become accustomed to with all the obnoxious pickup trucks and what-not.... but, what you might not realize, is that a duel exhaust mostly, produces a delayed/fake exhaust note. because, unless you're located directly behind said vehicle, a duel exhaust will usually amount to - two four cylinder engines.... so it sounds like crap.

but listen to a V8 from equidistant from both exhaust pipes, far enough back from the car, and you should be able to hear something reasonably close to a point source (single exhaust pipe).

play this a few times if you're still not sure. but once should be plenty....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsghbqWAyD0

I'm quite certain Rob's done it right.

he just needs to;

1. get the car out in the driveway.

2. set the mic about 30 feet behind the car.

3. get on the throttle and play that thing.

I believe you'll be very impressed by just how exotic the sound of a V8 running through a y-pipe can make.

this one is interesting. but, it needs a resonator located near the collector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ana...layer_embedded

no clue what went wrong on this video.... my guess is the resonator is too small.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=N_MbZ2t7PS8

Last edited by odurandina; 08-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Alpineace
Pro

What??? did you just post a "Days of Thunder clip"????? ok sorry but you just lost all credibility!!!!

Havent you ever heard of movie Foley???

aye caramba.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

changed the video. got 2 up there now.

finding a good single exhaust or a good duel exhaust

where the mic is the same distance from both pipes is a pain.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:10 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Does the RSbarn header fit a RHD?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i love the porsche exhaust...ok i changed the end tip but thats it.
I have a straight pipe in the garage, but i'm not using it as its too loud and sounds like a tractor.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

nice.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
just reposting for future reference;

the SLP cleans up the sound, but as it is completely hollow, it doesn't suppress the noise as much as a full-sized 14X5 or 18X5 inch glasspack resonator would do.... so don't run the SLP... run a full glasspack like the one shown below.

and still run the large muffler (everyone makes the mistake of running too small mufflers).

these things aren't very heavy, so there's not much of a problem with weight.

then you'll have a semi-exotic sound that's not be too loud.

this would also be really nice set up for an S2 or 968 and make good power.

Do you know of any S2 that have run this setup yet? Spring is around the corner and still trying to decide on a throaty and louder exhaust than the stock one.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

not sure, but it sure works for the 968.

again, just make sure not to run too small muffler out the back and the result will sound great.

if you want the sound but not quite so mean and loud, consider staying with a standard resonator.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

4 Cyl heaven. 1.5L 1500WHP

Last edited by Voith; 01-08-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:08 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Ahh yes the bmw m12 (13?) based off of the m10...what a stout little engine. In factory production cars such as the e21 320i and the 2002 these engines could take around 19 psi of boost STOCK. Keep in mind they did not come boosted from the factory. I've been thinking about getting another for dd use.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by odurandina
not sure, but it sure works for the 968.

again, just make sure not to run too small muffler out the back and the result will sound great.

if you want the sound but not quite so mean and loud, consider staying with a standard resonator.
I am going to guess that the S2 and 968 will sound mostly the same with same setup.

Quick Reply: you'll think you died and went to heaven...