Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

you'll think you died and went to heaven...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default you'll think you died and went to heaven...

if you're thinking of doing an exhaust update, i might suggest cloning my exhaust !!

(UPDATED from original post)...

sorry about another self-serving post about my exhaust but,

i like the idea of aftermarket exhausts and stainless steel pipe, but i am yet to hear anything good... what i have heard are some pretty crappy setups on the interwebs, and of course in real life. moreover these kits are expensive. they usually have one really nice part; (the s-pipe). but any good exhaust man can handle this part of the job.

letting loose a truly exotic 4 cylinder engine....

sorry about another self-serving post about my exhaust but, here it is;

no more taint, stock sound... no more mad, loud lawnmower sound. no turbo whine (which of course, isn't a bad thing)... no more just plain too loud anymore, at least not until you really step on it... NO RICER GAGBURBLE like ALL the aftermarket exhausts; if you had a Ferrari 360 for a week, you'd be given to the temptation of reving the f_ck out of it everywhere you go -----

well, it happened to me !! i love my car ! i admit it. i'm a full on JUNKIE !!...... i tried doing straight pipes with the Hooker glasspack, but the first inclination was a too loud and too rough... i had originally bought this nice resonator but never bothered to add it with the original test pipe... if you're planning on doing something with your exhaust anytime soon, build this ! so wtf happened ? --- by adding just the odd MUSTANG resonator (not a glasspack, but just a hollow tube chamber that opens from 2 1/2" to 4" and back to 2 1/2") -- well, this thing made a huge difference....

it's makes a low, "throaty" sound at idle, similar to a big V6, but when you get on the throttle it begins to turn a deeper "roar," and finally, at full throttle, it sounds like no 4 cylinder engine you've never heard before... not quite like running straight pipes, nor a V6, nor V8.... but really good for a 4 cylinder. i've searched the webs for any combination that can make a sound like this and nothing even comes close....

somewhere along the way, somebody convinced us all to accept what isn't so.

the variocam is a huge 4 cylinder engine that breathes very large volumes of air by 4 cylinder engine standards....

so why do none of the exhuasts on youtube allow the 3.0 litre engine to sound like a 3.0 litre engine ?

furthermore, all the 968 catback systems desperately need resonators. watch the videos. they sound a bit less 'ricey' than Honda's but they all still sound like crapola.... if you're running an old cat (or any cat), stock or aftermarket exhaust, they all sound basically the same; like pee-shooter fart cans with about 2 point nuthin' litres of displacement. why ? i believe it's mostly due to the fact that once the variocam kicks on, you've got a mild race engine. and after that point there's no benefit to having a catalytic converter in the circuit.

but, stand next to this car at idle, and give it a little throttle.... it sounds more like 4.0 litres. rev it up to 4,500 and then let off the gas and it makes a fat, low-frequency crackle... then rev it toward the limiter. heaven.

1st good exhaust;

i tried several combinations before finally combining a Hooker Maxflow glasspack with an SLP loudmouth hollow chamber resonator... about a year later, i killed that muffler when i tried to drive across some dirt going too fast and bottomed out (long story)... it was too loud anyway -- so i changed to a larger 22"X11"X5" Magnaflow glasspack with one mild 'S' bend inside just before leaving Florida last spring.

had a beautiful pipe made up to accommodate the larger muffler..... the key is the resonator' an SLP 2.5"/4"/2.5" X 18" which gives the engine a really throaty sound at low rpms and it changes to a more and more exotic sound at higher rpms. the setup is completely open but the larger muffler has removed 75 % of the loudness factor and left just a right amount behind. still, the sound when you let off the gas is sick. i promise none of the cat back systems sound anything like this..... the resonator is located just behind where the cat used to be.... some of the other hollow resonators have partial cutouts inside. but this is completly hollow with no internal parts whatsoever. the muffler is extremely large (12589), and barely almost doesn't fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SL...3919/?rtype=10

this experience has taught me something about what a normally aspirated 4 cylinder can do as far as the exhaust note. but, the four cylinder architecture is the limiting factor... in the end, flat 6's w/ turbos, v8's, v10's and v12's all sound better... but this combo makes way better sound than other exhausts, and costs much less to put on the car. i would recommend my setup starting with at least an 18" X 9" Magnaflow stainless steel glasspack... and don't forget to run a heavy guage pipe and use all three mounting points.

the photo below is the Hooker Maximum flow muffler which gives the most power.

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 02-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 PM
DHC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to here it! I have been searching for a good sound for my car, I like the stock sound, but a little exhaust rasp won't hurt! Every exhaust I have herd sound like a fart can, except the B&B. It seems pretty good. Not cheap though, so your solution might be perfect.

Posting on YouTube is pretty easy, all you need is a digital camera that can take video, and a YouTube account. I have several video's on YouTube.

Once you take the video with your camera, you need to download it to your computer, then once you have your YouTube account all you do is follow the instructions to post your video. Just click on upload video, select your video on your computer (make sure when you download it off your camera you remember where it is on your computer), and click upload, and voila, it's posted on YouTube. Hope to hear it soon!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:03 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a really long post to talk about a sound you haven't given us!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:31 AM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by odurandina

it's a low, "throaty" sound at idle, similar to a V8, but when you get on the throttle it begins to turn into an even deeper "roar,"
/
dont forget the soy sauce

the exact words of every stir fry king in the world with a loud exhaust on a 4 banger

Old 07-24-2010, 03:34 AM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Old 07-24-2010, 03:42 AM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Old 07-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Dogberri
Advanced

anybody heard or had experience with Stebro exhaust systems?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:03 PM
oazix
Instructor

what is full exhaust V2?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

why do i now call all of these exhausts a fail ?

instead of sounding like a tuned exhaust with the deep, rich sound of like, 1/2 of a 6.0 litre Corvette engine, as it could -- instead, these exhausts, choke off the big variocam, and all that remains, sounds like some 4-cylinder, pee-shooter with 2-point-nothin' litres of displacement.

the ford vs chevy wars have produced some nice aftermarket components that allow a high-displacement engine to thump, and gradually,

expand out to a beautiful-sounding roar.

at this moment i'm not even obsessing about dropping an LS2 or 3 in the car.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Porsche16V944
Racer

so wheres the video of this exhaust that sounds better then an LS?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:24 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oi Vey!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupWfAZIgig
Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics and Video or....

For illegal post before independent verification..
Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

WHOOOOOO WHOOOOO
Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

it only in da mornin

Quick Reply: you'll think you died and went to heaven...