Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranks...won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Quikzilver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks...won't start

I recently changed my negative battery cable and had dropped the nut into the flywheel inspection hole. The nut lodged itself against the flywheel and housing. Luckily, I found where it was (upper left, below the speed/reference sensors) and using a hack saw blade, was able to get the nut out. The motor now spins...no problem. But, now it won't start. I had also gone ahead and replaced the fuel filter, since the car was up on stands. I tried a number of times to crank the motor, where the fuel filter should be fine. My question is how sensative are the speed/reference sensors? I am sure that while I was cutting the nut, that the tip of the hacksaw blade hit against which ever is the rear sensor. I am unsure which on is located in the rear of the pair. I didn't cut into it, as the nut was lower than the sensors, but I am sure that I hit against it. Would this cause the problem I am having with the motor cracking but not firing up? Everything was fine until I dropped this nut. Any input would be great!!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 AM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Does the tach needle bounce when you crank the engine? If not your reference sensor may have moved too far from the flywheel or it's damaged.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Quikzilver
Advanced

Nope...tach needle moves as it should. Crap...guess it is something else.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 AM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you sure you're getting fuel to the cylinders after the filter change? After cranking it for a couple seconds try removing a spark plug and taking a sniff for the smell of fuel.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

or crank it over a few times and then pull the cap on the fuel rail to see if gas comes out.

remove the ignition coil wire from the dizzy, put a spark plug in it and hold it near a metal ground and see if it sparks when the car is cranking.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel filters are directional- recheck the flow arrows. I am never that lucky.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 PM
teamking
Pro

I'm with Ronin-- I'm willing to bet it's something with the fuel filter work you did.

But, very easy to verify that you're getting a spark... then start troubleshooting why you're not getting fuel.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 PM
944old
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Quikzilver
I recently changed my negative battery cable and had dropped the nut into the flywheel inspection hole. The nut lodged itself against the flywheel and housing. Luckily, I found where it was (upper left, below the speed/reference sensors) and using a hack saw blade, was able to get the nut out. The motor now spins...no problem. But, now it won't start. I had also gone ahead and replaced the fuel filter, since the car was up on stands. I tried a number of times to crank the motor, where the fuel filter should be fine. My question is how sensative are the speed/reference sensors? I am sure that while I was cutting the nut, that the tip of the hacksaw blade hit against which ever is the rear sensor. I am unsure which on is located in the rear of the pair. I didn't cut into it, as the nut was lower than the sensors, but I am sure that I hit against it. Would this cause the problem I am having with the motor cracking but not firing up? Everything was fine until I dropped this nut. Any input would be great!!
Didn't see the year on the 944 - early??
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Quikzilver
Advanced

It is an 87 NA.
Fuel filter is in correct direction.

Quick Reply: Cranks...won't start