Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resurrecting Frankencar

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what kind of paint and gun are you using/
Old 09-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon410021
what kind of paint and gun are you using/
PPG Shop-Line acrylic urethane single stage over a PPG enamel primer. Wifey bought me a Kobalt HVLP gun for around $100. The biggest problem that I had was moisture in the compressor. I drained it constantly and had a small separator but that's not enough when it's 97o and 95% humidity
Old 09-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cruise98
To bad the engineer is not an EE! We need to tidy up a few more items and get the seat installed along with belts, windshield, wheels, transmission, axles, and oh a few dozen other details?
Seat has already been dry fitted, that will be a breeze. Larry has windshield in hand with all needed accessories. Wheels, they are already on the car I will pull my transmission from Michael's car (loaned it to a friend till his was rebuilt) tomorrow night, should be installed with axles before noon Saturday.

Worked on the intercooler piping tonight!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

You are making good progress. I will get another shift or two in this weekend.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cruise98
You are making good progress. I will get another shift or two in this weekend.
Excellent, I'll get the beer chilling, give me a call when you know your schedule. I've wired up most of the gauges and will pick up a power distribution box today. Shoot me an email if there is anything else you need to me pick up to finish the wiring.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Fire in the hole

Got the car running today. Took a bit longer than we thought, ask Keith about the big fat red wire if you want to give him crap

My only issue at this point is the leaky 951 radiator that I bought off a lister who said it was in great shape

Still lots to do but at least it's running!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:19 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Ha, ha! Ask Tim about the firing order for spark plugs!

My excuse is only having half of the wiring diagram to go by.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 AM
fressssssh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are making amazing progress. I wish I had your expertise in all this. That would make my engine drop way easier in the future. Haha. I'm enjoying watching the progress. Good work.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:24 PM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW , you guys are amazing . Do you think you will make TGPR ?

Clifton
Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by C ANDERSON
WOW , you guys are amazing . Do you think you will make TGPR ?

Clifton
That was my plan but I don't think it will happen, especially after finding out that I need to source another 951 radiator. I'll still be at the event instructing.

Spent part of this afternoon working on the dash - I'm going minimalistic. Using alumacore, which is very easy to work with yet seems fairly strong.

Last edited by Lemming; 09-12-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

More progress being made. I found the piece that connects the transmission to the transmission mount, will get it on Sunday. In the meantime, I decided to subject the mount to the Window weld treatment.

I'm also making progress on the hood, the front right section was completely destroyed in the crash. So, I made a mold of another hood section, and grafted it on the old hood. In the pic below, you can see the grafted section. There is also a mold in progress of the supporting structure for that section (in the middle of the hood). The impact also caused all of the substructure to come loose, so that is being fiberglassed back in place.

Wing uprights have been attached to the car and I've drilled and tapped the carbon fiber wing to attach to the mounts. I'll drill holes for the angle adjustment once I get everything back in the car and it is corner balanced.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

excellent.
details on the mold process? are you waxing and laying over with fiberglass? using polyester resin or epoxy resin? any good DIY links?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
excellent.
details on the mold process? are you waxing and laying over with fiberglass? using polyester resin or epoxy resin? any good DIY links?
You are asking the wrong guy, I'm a complete newbie at working fiberglass!

I borrowed a 44 hood from a friend, covered the corner with parchment paper, and then put down glass using epoxy resin to form the outside mold. Once the mold was dry, I attached it to the broken fiberglass hood. Since I made the mold larger than the broken area, it was easy to attach. I then just filled the mold in with more glass. It has air bubbles and is uneven but feels strong enough. Once the support piece is finished and attached, I'll flip it over and grind/bondo/sand to make is look half-way decent. I know that it will never look as good as it did before, but I'm trying to save $600, this rebuild is taking it's toll on my wallet

In the photo below, the area outlined in red is what was replaced. The area in yellow was an area that was a bit too thin and I added glass that is still wet in this photo. The structure outlined in green is the replacement substructure for that corner. That was made by first laying a clay "mold" into that corner. The clay was then covered in parchment paper and glass placed over it. After it dried, I lifted it, removed the clay and you see the product. It still needs to be attached and another layer of glass applied.

West Marine has some good info on working with fiberglass. I also joined the fiberglass forums and have been reading many threads. (http://www.fiberglassforums.com/)
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

sweet. i joined those forums also and have made a sunroof for my BMW. been using polyester resin, but the epoxy looks to be quite a bit stronger. I just thought it required either high heat or a vacuum bag system. If you used epoxy resin with simple hand layup and no vacuum bagging, then I'll try it too

Quick Reply: Resurrecting Frankencar