Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smelly 944

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
po9rs4ch4e
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smelly 944

I purchased my 944 about 4 months ago and ever sence I bought it, it has had a weird smell inside. I've come to the conclusion that its the smell of moth ***** annim thinking the PO put some in because he knew he was having the car sit for a while. My question is where would someone put these in a 944 cuz I can't find the source or d
if anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell. I've tried airing it out n using some sprays but it keeps coming back. Thanks for any help
Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lolol moth *****? oh man....
Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It could be mildew that you're smelling. Check the carpet for water saturation especially the passenger footwell. Water can leak in from a rusted battery tray and saturate the carpet padding. Best--See a professional detailer for an interior cleaning and extraction. Cheap--Buy a Bissell "Green Machine" and have at it. Cheapest--Mix one part Woolite to six parts distilled water in spray bottle. Moisten carpet, brush it then hit it with your Shop Vac and towels to dry. Spray distilled water while you're vacuuming to help remove the Woolite mixture. (Poor man's extractor). If nothing works, then you may need to use an ozone generator which works by killing the mold/bacteria that causes the odors. See if you can find a place that rents them because they are $$$$. If you have a friend that works at a major hotel, they may have one you could borrow? They use them to get rid of smoke odors in rooms.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First...
NICE car!
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-...lp-please.html

Stuff that can smell:
Some catalytic converters smell like rotten eggs

I get a whiff of bad air when I turn my AC on for the first time in summer. I use a touch of Lysol in the AC water drain tube or with a straw in the fan exhaust hole.

In the ol days of these forums, someone would say you have "socks" hidden in the car
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
po9rs4ch4e
Advanced

hey thanks a lot for the help, but i checked for water and its dry. someone told me to try fresh coffee grinds, so i ground some coffee, put it in a cup and put it in my cup holder...just a few hours later my car smells like freshly brewed coffee haha. they say it also absorbs the odor so hopefully it doesnt just cover it. and i like the smell of coffee. i tried everything from baking soda to a dozen air freshners and coffee is what worked? ha im just hoping it completely gets rid of the smell forever.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

coffee grounds are for absorbing the smell of dead bodies.....when you go kill your PO

I know a lot of butcher shops use coffee to absorb "smells".... I didn't know they worked for other smells as well. I guess it would.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

baking soda works too. My 951 started to have an oil burn smell. The problme was oil drip on the cross over pipe. When the car sat for a a while it would build up and then burn off. However I let it burn off while idling that smoke would get sucked into the vent fans and pumped inside the car.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try shampooing the carpets with folex, and Dakota makes a nice odor neutralizer:

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/odor-control.html
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
montel52
Rennlist Member

Check up under the dash real good. My car sat for awhile before I bought it and it had a large mouse nest around the ignition lock cylinder which stunk! I adapted my shop vac down to a one inch hose and sucked it all out. The smell is notr gone but is dissapating.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

White Vinegar, straight white vinegar... spray the interior with it... or just put a cup in your cup holder with a little in it.. we used to do this as a service for our customers at a detail shop I worked at... while we worked on teh exterior we put a cup full of vinegar on the interior... then when it was time to clean the interior we took the vinegar out... none of the customers ever figured out why their cars smelled so fresh when they got them back... but they kept coming back because no mater how they smelled when they came in, they smelled fresh as a spring rain when they left...

You could also do a full interior detail yourself using the woolite / water / shopvac trick, but pull the seats and make sure you get all areas of the interior (including the rear cubbies, spare tire well and in the console / behind the dash!)

But the vinegar will neutralize any smells you have... a through cleaning and vinegar will not only neutralize the smell, but remove the source so it won't come back...

then you can use any fresh scent odorizer you like once the vinegar has evaporated... just let the car air out, and odorize away!

Best part is a whole bottle of vinegar is a buck or two..

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...e_vinegar.html

"Natural Air Freshener (No Kidding!)

Although we’re all familiar with the distinctive smell of white vinegar, it can actually be used for a deodorizer. When you need to get rid of the leftover smell from cooking vinegar will do the trick. This also works for deodorizing cigarette smoke or paint fumes. Place a small bowl filled with white vinegar in a central location of the room. Another option would be to pour some white vinegar into a spray bottle and spray it (full-strength, not diluted) around the room as you would any room deodorizer. "
Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

i would just take my girl in there and make some of my own smells
Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
i would just take my girl in there and make some of my own smells
mmm, sardines and a$$ will definitely overpower mothballs...
Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
White Vinegar, straight white vinegar... spray the interior with it... or just put a cup in your cup holder with a little in it.."

Wouldn't that just leave the smell of vinega in the car ? I don't know what white vinega smells like but I hate the smell of normal vinegar the sort you put on fish & chips or have in anything pickled.
Its a serious question by the way
Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by peanut
Wouldn't that just leave the smell of vinega in the car ? I don't know what white vinega smells like but I hate the smell of normal vinegar the sort you put on fish & chips or have in anything pickled.
Its a serious question by the way
White vinegar is very clean, and the smell is very short lived, but it will trap offensive smells and neutralize them.. if you don't believe me, go get a bottle of WHITE vinegar, and find an old pair of smelly shoes, spray them with a few squirts of the vinegar, let them sit and come back to them in an hour or so... they may have teh faint smell of vinegar left behind, but the rotten foot smell will be gone!

This also works for smokers, put a bowl of white vinegar in the room you smoke in... it will neutralize the smoke smell...
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if I can find some I'll try it thanks

Quick Reply: Smelly 944