Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo vs NA Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Interesting that Audi went with a supercharged V6 on the new S4 and S5, after years of turbos.

Superchargers are less sensitive to where (bearings are not under the same stress), but it is a less tunable setup.

Audi nearly went broke with warranty issues on the 2.7t motor, especially in the cramped S4 chassis. They went to supercharger because it was less end user tunable and had less "heat management" issues.

Now on topic. I would prefer a turbo over a N/A simply for efficientcy sake. A turbo motor that puts out the same power as a N/A motor can consume far less fuel on a daily basis.

What you need to realize is that "boost" is essentially creating "discplacement". If you are measuring it as the amount of air/fuel you can cram into a space and blow up. Forced induction does just that, it creates the same power of larger displacement by forcing in more.

So to use the 944/951 as the perfect example of this. When just cruising down the road off boost the 951 consumes just like a 944......but when you want the rush of a bigger motor you get it. Just toss in some boost and get the power you want.....and the fuel consumption of the bigger motor to go with it at that point

In most cases to get a NA to produce the power of a similar turbo motor you have go compromise. You give up fuel mileage, get big Lumpy cams, make them super high revving, etc.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944

would you prefer to get there in an NA or Turbo engine?

V8 chevy 944/968 or your n/a 968 (or my n/a 968) !!

btw, where's the actual poll for this thread ? feeling a bit gypped here...

Originally Posted by J1NX3D

did odurandina bump it- yes - check!

why bump threads when you can do simple checks, see he has not been active since 2007....

this thread hardly contributes anything to topic that is overkill on these forums.

overkill ? or the 3,317 no start/dead engine threads from those (dearly departed souls) that came before....

Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

my NA feels super tossable, actually throwable, in a regular set of driving even to the grocery store i do things in that car that would make my old mazda flip over....

ok, but in L.A. the cops are out there... be careful....

Quick Reply: Turbo vs NA Poll