Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering and Torsion Bar Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesjedi
I have significantly lowered the front Koni coil overs. They can only go so low, at least that is what Jason mentioned this morning at Paragon. He said that they should have a mininun of one inch of travel, otherwise the car is at risk of riding on the bump stops. That said, I am not sure how much travel I have. I will find out tomorrow when I go to Mantis Racing.
What height did you end up with front and rear? Best to measure from centre of wheel to underside of the wheel arch/guard lip. Alternatively from ground to wheel arch/guard lip (should generally be at least 25").

If it is too low, you can raise again slightly by using the spring plates - maybe 1/2".
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesjedi
Hi Tom,

After searching for ride height, I cam across the post on your torsion bar reindexing. How low did you go? I am at about 4 inches measued at the rocker. One side is a little lower, I wonder if I am off by one inner spline? If I am, does that mean that the bars should be taken out again, or can I adjust at the spring plate even though I may be out by one inner spline?

Is there another way to check that both bars are in the same?

For the life of me I have been unsuccesfull in getting both sides identicle via the torsion bars, I always seem to be off from one side to the other by 1/4 inch.

very frustrating but I'm planning on just using spring plate adjusters to get er squared in. Sitting about 4.25 - 4.5 inch at the rocker seams.

Tom
Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
For the life of me I have been unsuccesfull in getting both sides identicle via the torsion bars, I always seem to be off from one side to the other by 1/4 inch.

very frustrating but I'm planning on just using spring plate adjusters to get er squared in. Sitting about 4.25 - 4.5 inch at the rocker seams.

Tom
do remember that left side is going to go down further because you're going to sit on that side
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well....I have to do it again. I am too low on one side. That is OK, as I do not want too much stress on the control arms. I will bring up both sides, at least until I get camber plates and different control arms.

As a note to anyone doing it, make sure that your adjusting (castor?) bolts are centered when you are measuring your the spring arm. I did not.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead

Tom
That 1/4 is meaning less... Corner balance the car and then worry about where it scales out.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done the torsion bars again...in my driveway. I have serious doubts that I will ever do it again. Coil overs look very promising.
As this was my second time doing it, I zipped through the dismantling process. I then spent a l o n g time getting both sides the same, and then it did not want to go back together the same as it cam apart. It did not fit, or want to fit as simply as one would think it should. It is a very tough job in the driveway.

That said, I felt very good the next day seeing that the torsion bars were more accurate.

THE END...of torsion bar re indexing (for now).

Quick Reply: Lowering and Torsion Bar Replacement.