Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFR, How about some helper springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 11:41 PM
Melchior
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SFR, How about some helper springs?

Is there a way to add (mod) the rear end of these cars with a helper spring setup? I replaced the tortion bars in my old 951 and it was a pain in the butt. I think that somebody could come up with a way to add small coil springs to these vehicles to assist the tortion bars. It wouldn't have to be a coil-over setup but instead just attach to some existing mounting point on the car. I have seen american cars with this setup and, though it is not the ideal setup for racing, it would provide a good option to replacing the tortion bars.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

paragon products has a coil over for sale for the back, but its 1200 bucks i think....
Old 03-01-2002, 01:31 AM
ram_one
Racer

Huntley Racing has some as well I believe.
Old 03-01-2002, 02:40 AM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by David Rios:
<strong>Is there a way to add (mod) the rear end of these cars with a helper spring setup?</strong><hr></blockquote>Yeah, it's called adding a coilover shock There isn't any room for any other approach. If you want it stiffer, change the torsion bars, add coilovers with helpers, or pull the bars and run full coilovers. All three options are costly, either because of labor or because of parts.

The least expensive rear coilover setup is from the 968 M030 car, but that will raise your rear ride hight considerably, so you'll have to re-index the torsion bars anyway.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:07 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

Tom is right. The coil-over helpers are coilover shocks with a twin spring set-up vs a full coilover which is a single spring setup per shock. Full coilover aluminum 13 click adj. shocks with springs and hardware are $900 from us.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:21 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a kit out a while ago that had collars which clamped onto your existing rear shocks to convert them to "coil-overs". Garrity had a set for sale a while back and I missed picking them up by this much (picture the tips of my thump and index finger a centimeter away from each other). I think Momo distributed these things.

I am not sure how well these things worked, but it seemed like a good low buck solution to beef up a street car. Not sure I would want to put a car on the track with them though. I may still have a picture of them if you would car to see what they looked like.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:27 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is what they looked like:

Old 03-04-2002, 06:02 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Manning...I may be interested in doing that instead of futzing with my torsion bars. Find out more information about that, please!
Old 03-04-2002, 06:38 PM
RPG951S
Racer

I think the absolute easiest/cheapest way to get increased spring rate in the rear, (and get a great shock at the same time), it to get the 'street' version of the LEDA suspension. (Sold by Racer's Edge, and others perhaps). This is a rebound-adjustable, non-remote resovoir oil shock, without sperical bearing ends (which would suck for the street anyways). They don't seem to list this shock in their web site, but it is 'hinted' at in their magazine ads (..."rear coilovers starting at $189"...)
I'm surprise more people don't get this, as they are only marginaly more expensive than konis, are probably better made, and have the adjustable height lower perch/hat for coil springs.
The 'street' coilover sell for $189 per shock (which includes the adjustable coil-spring lower perch and upper hat, but no spring). Pick a spring rate of your choice for about $60 each. Add the Racer's edge lower bolt adapter (which pushes the shock out slightly for spring clearance..it's not required but is nice) and your done. Around ~$280/wheel.
Damn easy to install (~30min/side). Easy to adjust and well made. Not the 'best' all-out solution.. but MUCH less expensive.

My .02c, and information gleemed from calling Racer's Edge a few times

Old 03-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, let me try this again.

Ribs,

I would love to find some more info about these, but I don't think they have been made in years. I think the last set Garrity sold was the last set he had. We can try and find out if he has more info about them though.

Raagi,

I looked at Jay Hajny's site and he has rear sets of the Leda single adjustable oil coilovers listed for about $630.00 a pair and this does NOT appear to include springs or Racers Edge lower mounts ($150.00), which he indicates are required.

<a href="http://www.homestead.com/redlinerennsport/LEDA.html" target="_blank">Leda Coilovers</a>

Also, regarding Koni rear coilovers, everyone appears to put kits together using the 3012 series dampers, which are externally double abjustable, high-pressure gas, threaded aluminum bodied shocks at about $500.00 each from TrueChoice. I have yet to see anyone put together a kit for us cheap-asses out there using the Koni 30 SP8 series of shocks, which are single adjustable, high-pressure gas, threaded aluminum shocks for about $250.00. So for about $720.00 you could have a set of single adjustable gas coilovers, including the springs and Racers Edge mounts.

Hey, I have an idea, maybe Jason at Paragon could put together a kit using these shocks for the 924S/944 pilot on a budget. Hint, hint!!!

(edit) and if Jason won't do it maybe Derrek will

If not maybe he would be willing to part with the nessessary measurements (eye-to-eye, stroke length,etc.) and we could have TrueChoice hook us up with the shocks.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:39 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by RPG951S:
I think the absolute easiest/cheapest way to get increased spring rate in the rear, (and get a great shock at the same time), it to get the 'street' version of the LEDA suspension.<hr></blockquote>I'd be surprised if these were only $189 each. The cheapest gas units are around $500 each and the gas units with separate bump/rebound adjusters are close to $700 each. [quote]without sperical bearing ends (which would suck for the street anyways).<hr></blockquote>The spherical bearings aren't as bad as you think. It's more of a road noise problem than harshness problem, and only on certain types of lousy concrete.
[quote]Add the Racer's edge lower bolt adapter (which pushes the shock out slightly for spring clearance..it's not required but is nice)<hr></blockquote>Wouldn't you have to spec this when you order them because the lower bolt adapter is made for 1/2" spherical bearings and the stock Porsche lower bolt is larger... unless you just use an adapter sleeve, which is a real possibility since that's what's required for the top mount on a spherical joint shock.

In any event, don't expect to just slap these on and go. In order for any rear coilover shock/spring combination to work correctly in conjuction with torsion bars, you need to put some preload into the coil so it doesn't unload completely during heavy braking. You might be able to do this with the eccentric adjuster... but I wouldn't bet on being able to get enough preload.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How does $22.98 grab you?

<a href="http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=14838&BQ=jcw2" target="_blank">http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=14838&BQ=jcw2</a>

I put these on my '68 Mustang in 1979. If I thought the rear end hopped around loosely before, I had an education coming. I tightened the collars down too hard, too, and destroyed the shocks.

In short, I don't recommend them, but if cheap is what you're after...

Thaddeus
Old 03-04-2002, 11:11 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
leda rears are to be run upside down and you could not run that shock pictured above, you would need a remote canaster unit.... like ours <a href="http://www.morissdampers.com" target="_blank">www.morissdampers.com</a>
twin tube dampers with out a canister cannot be run upside down unless it has a gas bag like some koni's

If you guys would like i will look into making the koni/boge clamp on spring kit......
Old 03-05-2002, 12:42 AM
Melchior
Pro

I think that the Garrity design is the best overall concept and it looks like the one featured in the jcwhitney website is around those lines. I agree that they would never be ideal for racing but but they should be able to work just as well as the Koni shocks that Porsche used on the 968 M030 sport shock that had a coilover design.
When is Skip or SFR going to jump into this thread?
Old 03-05-2002, 12:58 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Ok, let me leap....

you can buy the same shock used in the huntley racing rear setup at JC whitney, it s the HAL shock, 13 click adjustable rear aluminum shock. Buy the springs from who ever you like...you can get the setup for maybe 300 per rear wheel that way. I have the HAL shock I bought from Huntley, and will send a picture with measurments of the lengths to all that are interested.

hope this helps save some cash!

Quick Reply: SFR, How about some helper springs?