Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling an 87 924S parts car. (also gauging interest in me parting it)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:34 PM
cegan09
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling an 87 924S parts car. (also gauging interest in me parting it)

I'm selling my car. I bought it 3 years ago as a dreaming 19 year old, with thoughts of rebuilding it. The longer i had it, and the longer i delved into it, the more i came to my senses. The car is not worth more than a parts car. I need the garage space as i'm in the process of getting something much cooler (something british).

My complete Craigslist ad:
The Good:
Engine should run once wiring and cooling system are fully together
Transmission should be fine
Rear hatch fine
Brand New Clutch, zero miles (new throw out bearing, pressure plate, release fork bearings, clutch disk)
New slave cylinder comes with car.
Complete set of tools for setting belt tension are included
Second Catalytic converter and muffler included
Second roof panel included since original has a broken corner
wheels are in good shape
all parts removed are included.

The Bad
The body is completely shot, more rust than is worth fixing, primarily on rear drivers side quarter panel and rear section
Both front seats are worn, some material poorly replaced by a previous owner.
Dash is cracked, but not too badly
windshield cracked. Second windshield included but is also cracked, possible fixable.
brakes are gone
tires are dead
electrical system not completely hooked up, so hatch won't open at the moment and windows won't go up.
Only valet key included, opens drivers door and starts car, doesn't lock gas cap, open hatch, open passenger door

Edits:
I'm asking 1500, but i'm willing to accept that is high. I'll probably accept $1000 if someone can take it soon. Email me at cegan09 at gmail.com if you're interested.

I really, really, really, don't want to part it out. I don't have the time or sanity, or garage space. If i don't get any bites in the next week i'll reconsider. Register your interest in it getting parted out below.
/Edits

I have more pictures, just tell me what you want to see.

Last edited by cegan09; 05-06-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can buff most of that out but i think the price is about 500 too high
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 PM
chris_v
Instructor

Bummer of a situation I know you want to get more money because of what youve invested in it but I think if you want to get 1500 you'll be forced to part it out. When I buy cars to turn into racers (or even DD) I dont pay more than $1,000 for a 944/924S and they are always running, straight and rust free.
On the flip side if you parted it out...
800 for the engine
350 at least for transmission (desirable short 5th)
300 for clutch stuff
200 for wheels
300 conservatively for other random stuff
100 bucks when you scrap the shell

I know its not what you want to hear but hopefully this helps you in your decision.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
cegan09
Burning Brakes

Eh, my investments into the car are limited to the new clutch, a better condition slave clutch cylinder (not installed), new vacuum lines and fresh gaskets for the engine. I bought the car mostly to tinker with, and i've tinkered, time to move one. I'm not sad to see it go.

I know my asking price is a little high. If i can get that i'll be happy. Like i said, i'll consider offers, at some point i'll have to accept one. If i get no bites after a week or two i'll reconsider parting it myself, but i'd rather not. I haven't had a free weekend in months, and work eats up weekdays.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

eh- that asking price is about $1000 too high. Its not about what good parts you have on the car, but what you can get elsewhere for the same money. I bought a running, driving, relatively straight 944 for Lemons for $250.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Maybe it's just me, but you might consider dropping the part about "getting something much cooler (British)"
Old 05-06-2010, 08:25 AM
cegan09
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JonH
Maybe it's just me, but you might consider dropping the part about "getting something much cooler (British)"
Come on, can't take a little jab? I've always loved british sports cars, and i've been lusting after one for 4+ years now. I finally have the means to buy it, now i need the garage space.

Perhaps i should start another thread about it, but i'll see what response i get here first. IF i were to part it out, how much interest is there?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

i think if you find a 924 troublesome, youre in for a surprise with anything british made before, well, 2000.

if you were to part it i would be interested in the DME and maybe the instrument cluster if it all works great
Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 PM
cegan09
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i think if you find a 924 troublesome, youre in for a surprise with anything british made before, well, 2000.

if you were to part it i would be interested in the DME and maybe the instrument cluster if it all works great
oh, i didn't find the 924 troublesome, i just bought one that wasn't worth saving, hence it's now a parts car. And the car i'm looking at is a 2005 Lotus Elise. I'm well versed in the car (my father bought one back in 2005), and i know every common issue, which as it turns out is not many. It's time He and I were able to have a little rivalry on the track, as well as be able to attend more events together (hard to do when siblings also want to go and there is only 1 passenger seat).

And nothing scares me anymore after rebuilding my 1976 Yamaha XS500. Putting a new wiring harness in after the nightmare home brew one that was in there was interesting to say the least. I spent a 14 hour day doing nothing but wiring. Runs like a champ now. A little more carb tuning and it will be great.

I'll add you to the "if i part it" list. I can't guarantee that everything works perfect, but the car did run when i got it, and the gauges worked. haven't run the car in over 2 years. We can find an agreeable price on them.

Quick Reply: Selling an 87 924S parts car. (also gauging interest in me parting it)