Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about taking my 944 on a long trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM
x0panda0x
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about taking my 944 on a long trip

I'm looking at about 700miles 1 way, 1400 mile round trip. I've just had teh balance shaft and timing belts changed and tensioned. A 3 month old clutch, new coolant in it, the a/c is fixed. I'm still scared anyone have anything else I should check? I'm bringing my spare water pump, just in case, lol.

KEVS 944
Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
jharding
Rennlist Member

Bring some tools, an extra alternator belt, extra DME relay, have fresh fluids in the car, check your air pressure, and just drive it! Don't forget to bring at least one jack stand in case you have to get under the car. Oh, and don't forget to bring a 12V compressor to add air to the spare, and a jack.

I and many other folks have driven their cars a couple of hundred miles to a track event, drove 2 or 3 days on the track, then drove the couple of hundred miles home. Good maintenance is the key.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
x0panda0x
Intermediate

thanks. I'm just trying to decide how scared i should be making this trip. I do have an air compressor to air the tires up if need be and a can of fix-a-flat. I've used my spare and it had on the first inflate, what looked to be dryrot cracks from never being used, so no spare. And I don't have most of that other stuff. I might have some tools, a spare water pump, and some extra fluids. I've driven this car about 5 hours away once and it did great, just was trying to get a feel for how weary I need to be by doing this. I wouldn't even be considering it, but I had a death in the family and have to get to the funeral :-(
Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There comes a time when you have to have some confidence in the car.
Good advice in the post above. Start driving it now, everywhere. This may help you feel better about it.
I once drove my '87 N/A from Baltimore to Toronto and back without problem.
Car had a 190k miles on it at the time. I had also done the same repairs prior to going.

If the spare holds air, just keep your speeds down. It should get you to the next town to pick up a tire.
If your missing the pump, you can get a cheap inflator at pepboys or something.
I would do it.

Last edited by PorscheDude1; 05-01-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Geldfalle 944
Rennlist Member

Agreed. At some point you have to just drive it. I was driving mine with bad ball joints until the water pump began leaking so bad I had to stop. Shake that puppy down and enjoy driving it.

Sorry about the death in the family.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
There comes a time when you have to have some confidence in the car.
Call me crazy but I have been gradually gaining confidence in my S2 cab since I put it on the road in March.

Daily driving it most every day and gradually taking longer drives on the weekend. This weekend will be going about 120km (70ish miles) with confidence.....I think
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 AM
x0panda0x
Intermediate

Thank you for your condolences, Geldfalle.

I have confidence in it with the new clutch and belts being done. I just wanted to see what others thought. Like I said, I took her on a 5 hour drive before the clutch got bad and wasn't scared at all the entire time. So if I have to take her for a 10 hour drive I think she'll make it. And on top of that, I'll be in the hilly part of Kentucky and Indiana, so if I want to go for some good spirited driving on some straight hilly country roads or some winding back roads, I'll have the oppertunity, finally!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by x0panda0x
thanks. I'm just trying to decide how scared i should be making this trip. I do have an air compressor to air the tires up if need be and a can of fix-a-flat. I've used my spare and it had on the first inflate, what looked to be dryrot cracks from never being used, so no spare. And I don't have most of that other stuff. I might have some tools, a spare water pump, and some extra fluids. I've driven this car about 5 hours away once and it did great, just was trying to get a feel for how weary I need to be by doing this. I wouldn't even be considering it, but I had a death in the family and have to get to the funeral :-(
Long trips are easier on a car than daily driving. Most of the stress and opportunity for a car to fail is in the startup process.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're in the hilly part of IN you probably won't be near me since it is dead flat for miles around here but I am sure there are listers on your route in case you need them. Drive safe...
Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by x0panda0x
I'm looking at about 700miles 1 way, 1400 mile round trip. I've just had teh balance shaft and timing belts changed and tensioned. A 3 month old clutch, new coolant in it, the a/c is fixed. I'm still scared anyone have anything else I should check? I'm bringing my spare water pump, just in case, lol.

KEVS 944
If all the maintenance mention as been done like you said I,ll say take her for a good spine just don't over do the spirit driving unless your close from home,once took a 2,500 miles trip with my 83 went like breeze all the way ,just make sure to check the oil every time you gas her up.You know most 944 owner think those cars are made to cruize around town & take a 60 miles trip once in a while, don't know why, those cars if well maintain are meant to gooble miles after miles of hwy that what they were built for in the first place. Have a good & safe trip.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your ontop of the basic maintenance, and with those major items take care of, I would bring a basic tool set.
water bottle (to drink or top up washer or rad)
Handful of common wrenches,
wire
pliers needle nose
wire strippers,
aligator clips
duct tape
screw drivers
hose clamps
fuses
spare common nuts/bolts
oh and did I say duct tape?

Nothing like a nice large beach towel to lay on if you need to get under it.
rubber gloves too.
Can you tell I've gone on long trips with old cars before?

Anyone else chime in with P car specifics?

Have fun!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In addition to having some spares and tools as already mentioned, having plenty of phone numbers in the glove box can help ease the apprehension of a long drive (family, friends w/ trailers, repair shops, towing companies, AAA, etc.). Just knowing that you have the ability to call someone for assistance is a huge stress reducer.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:24 PM
elzergone
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why mine have taught me, is that they will go on spontaneous 1500 mile trips no prob. Performing flawlessly for months, and then later, failing spectacularly in your own driveway with no warning
Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
x0panda0x
Intermediate

Well, the general maintenance is up on her. I'm planning on taking some 50/50 coolant and a quart of oil. I need to get some of the small tool together, but that should be quick and easy. Thanks, you guys ave made me feel better. Just with having done all of the work on her, I was afraid of breaking her. I'll let everyone know if i drive the 944 and how she does on the drive. I don't anticipate any trouble out of her, I just wanted to know how and what ot be prepared for :-) If there is anybody along my route that I could call, that would be appreciated immensely. I'll be driving I-64 west from Norfolk, VA to pretty much Lousville area of Kentucky/Indiana. Thanks again guys. It's great to belonging to this community of P-Car lovers.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

bring a good set of tools and just go, i have done a few 400 mile one-day trips before without issue, not too long ago i drove 100 miles one way to go to a mall and then came back, if the car has been kept up it wont be trouble

Quick Reply: Question about taking my 944 on a long trip