Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing this pulley with engine in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default removing this pulley with engine in the car?

hey guys

back to working on the car, got the waterpump out w/o removing the rear timing cover, but installing everything back together is going to be a real pain, so I think it might be a good idea to remove the cover?

but it looks like that giant pulley on the bottom is going to have to be removed, it needs a 24" socket - so you know which one I mean

do I need to mark anything, or just take it off? cylinder head is already off the car

also, was I supposed to do any markings on the balance shaft pulleys/sprockets/w/e?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

flywheel lock on back. Crank the 24 mm lose and pull the gears off. You may need a gear puller to get the lower gears off. They can stick. However can be done in the car. You probably want to pull the fans for more clearnace. The radiator can stay, but if you pull that youll have plenty of space.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:29 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The BS sprockets have alignment marks on the rear face which align with notches on the rear cover.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:33 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did it yesterday on jimbo's.

set TDC, remove starter, install flywheel lock, 24mm socket + breaker bar+4ft jack handle extension, undo it.

if u wanna pull fans off, u can. i didn't. u can use a big long screwedriver or pry bar on the BS pulleys. but gear puller makes it easy. don't lose the halfmoon keys on the shafts.

just remember to redo the timing correctly when u put everything back together
Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
roman944
Drifting

I managed to go without the pin-spanner wrench by using that jawed oil wrench you (Yuliang) suggested - worked great! Thanks!

I still don't have a flywheel lock though, I'm going to order one right now.

Those balance shaft things, when I put everything together - as long as the marks line up - everything is going to be fine right?

What's this giant pulley I want to remove is for? From one of the pics, crank pulley? is there anything I have to do here? mark it with a marker or something?

on my balance shaft sprockets, those metal "spacer" looking things look a little beat up, not sure how/when since we didn't really touch them until we started removing them

Thanks guys!

Also, I managed to get the waterpump w/o taking off the cover, but putting it back on is going to be a REAL b***h, so we think that it might be a good idea to take the cover off.

Do fans really take up that much room? Because it looks like it will be very tight in there with a gear puller

Thanks a lot (again!)

I'm having so much fun finding things that were ziptied or have 2-3 clamps within 2-3" ... LOL
Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Did you watch my timing belt / water pump videos? (I know - I still have to put together the video of re-assembly.)

That "pulley" actually has the power steering drive, the alternator/AC drive, and the balance shaft drive sprocket.

A flywheel lock is quite handy, but if you have a friend, you can get him to hold the flywheel in place with a large screwdriver or prybar levered into the flywheel teeth...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mechanic had to pull my rad out and use a serious puller on my pulley. It was badly seized on because the belts were ten years old. You'll certainly have more room if you at least pull the fans out.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
roman944
Drifting

point taken

I just tried Pelican and it appears they are out of flywheel locks and its somewhat late to get one shipped today

so I'll call Paragon and who-else-might-have it for one

I should have bought one a while ago anyways

that power steering thing is something else; I'm beginning to wonder if my car is a manual rack car, or a power-steering car where P/O simply removed the power steering pump, any way to check?

edit: just called Paragon and they had 3 flywheel locks in stock, so I got one on the way! w00t
Old 04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
krystar
Drifting

i actually ordered my kit from arnnworx last week and he got it here by friday.

sprocket pin wrench, flat wrench and flywheel lock all in one
Old 04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
krystar
Drifting

does yer rack have fluid hoses? if so, it's a power rack
Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
roman944
Drifting

see, we will go outside, find something that we don't have a tool (yet) for - run out to Lowe's - which is 1 mile away - and come right back

AH!

no one around here had anything close to a pin spanner wrench, I was REALLY surprised; my uncle had a kick *** set with all kinds of different pieces that "snap" onto a bar thats as long as a breaker bar (figure about 3 ft or so) - great tool set

not too bad though, so far so good

I'm looking at some of these bolts - some of them look great, some not so much, some come out without much effort, others need some extra OOOMPH to break them loose

but so far so good, have not broken anything yet - no bolts/nuts or anything, so not bad

I'm just surprised to find some parts that I would have done differently - though the "cheap" fix definitely works

like I got this 1 coolant hose with 3 clamps on it, it was cut in the middle and they put a piece of tubing in it, and then clamped it again ...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by krystar
does yer rack have fluid hoses? if so, it's a power rack
I don't have any lines hanging off where a power steering pump would be or anything like that, but the car was at this one place ... and I'm not sure ... possible that it was "removed" without my knowledge?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:02 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The flywheel lock balance shaft wrench are the only 944 specific tools I have. I consider them essentials to doing the job right. I do the belt tightening by feel.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
krystar
Drifting

possible to take the reservoir and pump off of a car with a power rack. but unless they replace the rack...it'll still have all the fittings for power.

power rack

vs
manual rack
Old 04-19-2010, 06:50 PM
roman944
Drifting

whew, def a manual rack car!

I'd like to do my belt tension, that twist method sounds like something I could follow, I think

not that far into the job yet, lol

waiting for the word on my cylinder head

Quick Reply: removing this pulley with engine in the car?