Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 demolished by a drunk,

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 05:15 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saved the jpg's of that car as a safety selling point.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:00 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
I just looked at these as well. Glad to hear that he walked away in one piece.

1. I think he was extremely lucky to get hit where he did. 12-18" farther forward, it would have hit the center of the door, not the quarter panel. And these doors don't seem to be reinforced.

2. In the case of this kind of accident, I don't know if it would be better to have been wearing a seat belt. The pillar that is the top mounting point is right where the impact was. Maybe it would have held him in place for the major impact. I don't know if I would admit not wearing a seatbelt. I would say that "I don't recall" and let them prove that I wasn't.

3. I have always found that driving late at night is extremely dangerous on the weekends. In Southern California, when waiting at an intersection late at night, when the light changes I make a point of counting to 3, looking both ways, THEN proceeding into the intersection. It's really bad, because unlike New York (for example) there is no delay between when the light goes red in one direction and green in the other direction. Similar cautions apply to crossing through when the light is steady green.

4. Four years ago I narrowly missed a head-on collision on I-15 when some @hole came DOWN THE EXIT RAMP (at Carroll Canyon Road) at full speed, and crossed the highway right in front of me. He passed me on my left, going in the opposite direction at 60MPH+. Somehow, he got over to the left shoulder and got away (a police officer was less than a mile away down the road, unfortunately, I didn't have a cell phone).

5. The insurance company is just being an insurance company. Pay as little as possible. You don't want the kind of life-altering injuries necessary to get major $$$'s.

6. Speaking of insurance companies, I had a friend who was involved in a minor traffic accident. His HEALTH INSURANCE company sent him a form for him to sign, giving them first rights to whatever settlement money he got, for the purpose of covering his medical bills associated with the accident. All he did was go to the doctor to get checked out after the accident. This was one of the most outrageous things I have ever seen. Of course, he never signed or returned the form.

7. These pictures speak volumes about getting a well designed and constructed car. How much is a car really worth if an accident could permanently impair you, and effect your ability to have a decent job or life thereafter?

Sorry for the long post. This one just got me going.

-Kevin

Quick Reply: 944 demolished by a drunk,