Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 demolished by a drunk,

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 04:04 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, you should part out what parts are good. get the engine and transmission checked out, maybe take right side suspension pieces, steering wheel & seats (if ok), maybe shifter, you might be able to get more money back. what a shame. i would think that you would at least get some cash for pain and suffering too. damn... maybe hershey would be a good place to start selling that stuff, but of course only if you want to take the time to do that.. most people are so pissed off they don't want to deal with any of it. damn, that sucks.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:32 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Man, Get another lawyer. 6500.00 is nothing. Call the insurance company and tell them you are headed to the doc because your wallet feels a bit thin after the accident. “Just kidding kinda” There has got to be something more you can get for almost getting killed. GO to court and demand a jury, then show them the pictures of the car you where in. That should be good for 100K or more. It is B.S of this guy gets off with a small deductible and time in jail. I would be all over my lawyer. You deserver more and this A-hole should rot in a jail cell 5X8 with a huge lifer dude named Bubba. Man I HATE DRUNK DRIVERS.

I agree with the post earlier. We should just execute second offenders and maybe maim them for the first. A police bullet to the knee cap will suffice. Hey we have a Cowboy in the white house… It could happen.

P.S. I do retract my first comment. I hope the next care your get is AWESOME. Keep us up to date. AND GO BACK AND SEE THAT LAWYER OR GET A NEW ONE.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:35 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definately get what parts you can out of it. The transmission should be fine, and the engine should be ok too. Some interior parts, like the seats, look like they could be salvaged too.

Also, something like that deserves way more than $6500. Go back to the lawyer, or get a new one.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
herrtzeber,

I'm so sorry I haven't seen this thread until now!

We're very glad you're ok. Those pictures are amazing. You are one lucky guy. You have more to do on this world! Take it as a second chance! I bet you have one happy father.

Thanks again for sharing. Amazing!

WELCOME TO RENNLIST!!!

EDIT:
This is my bad side coming out, but GET THAT GUY for all he's worth. HE is luck you weren't hurt more then you are. He got out with a reprive. He needs to make it right! Again, so glad you're ok.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:31 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I agree with the post earlier. We should just execute second offenders and maybe maim them for the first. A police bullet to the knee cap will suffice</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">screw the police!!!! they are mostly corrupt anyway (at least where i'm from)... *You can do the executing* - police aren't good enough in this situation. BUT (not to defend) the laws for DD aren't *in any way* fair! the pigs bust people any way they can, BUT THIS DOES NOT MAKE AN EXCUSE FOR THE JERK-OFF in that DAMN truck... Hopefully he'll be thinking about it LONG and HARD, esp. while bending over picking up his soap. Nuff said.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

5k doesn't sound great for the car to me, but insurance companies always tend to give you the lowest amount of cash they can. However, I sincerely hope that doesn't include your pain & suffering and any medical bills. I'm not sure how it works where you are, but in California you are entitled to up to 3 times the amount of your doctors bills. So if you had all those stitches and maybe a ride in the ambulance...you should be looking at some serious cash coming your way. Perhaps permanent scarring on your face causing disfigurement? Reaching...but scarring your face could warrant money.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:58 AM
herrtzeber
Instructor

ya, the guy has minimum coverage so they only pay a maximum of 5 thousand for the car's damages, plus a maximum of 15k for personal injury. that mostly includes permanent disfigurement and i have no idea what they think the scars i have are worth
the meeting last night didnt go to well as far as i can tell. we met to discuss personal injury and they asked us alot of questions without telling us anything really. im afraid at this point that in a few weeks theyll make us a ridiculous low offer knowing that they have enough info to win in court. the whole situation really sucks here.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd hire a lawyer with performance based pay, and tell him to get WHATEVER he can get. Scum like that, who will only pay $20 for almost KILLING you, deserve the book getting thrown at them. I don't agree with frivilous law suits, which is why I didn't sue when that dog bit me or my parents didn't sue when a hotel spilled boiling water on my arm in England... but when people don't make or try to make it right... GET 'EM where it hurts -- the pocket book!

-Matt
Old 04-04-2003, 11:38 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Glad to hear you made it out of there! Hope you heal well! Gosh, gotta love the engineering in these cars! Somewhere in Germany there is an engineer (or several) smiling knowing that their cars are so capable at protecting their occupants.

You know, I think it's in Puerto Rico? or one of the Carribean countries I heard there are no second offense drunk drivers. Firing squad. Think we should do that here.

Yes, I agree....have your lawyer talk to their lawyer. Civil court actions can go above what the insurance company will offer and dig into his personal pocketbook. House, garnished wages, etc. Most court actions to insurance companies fall over into personal liability if the settlement exceeds what the insurance company is going to pay.

Good luck!!!

Cheers!
Old 04-04-2003, 12:10 PM
herrtzeber
Instructor

yea id be happy to sue him except i really need some more settlement money form insurance so i can hurry up and buy new transportation. the law suit could take years against him and he seems like skum who has hardly any money anyway. the lawyer we have charges 1/3 of what we get and if we get nothin then they still charge the costs which deff add up. id love to see this guy pay but it looks as if the truck he just wrecked was the most valuable thing he had, maybe ill take a ride down and see what kinda house, nheighborhood hes in.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Herrtzeber:

Sue him! Don't take the easy way out. Yea, you need a car to drive, get a beater until you can afford another Porsche. But don't let him get away. He almost killed you. READ THAT SENTENCE AGAIN! HE ALMOST KILLED YOU!!!!
I wouldn't care if I had to drive a junker for a bit before saving up for a new car, or get a MUCH better offer from the insurance company. Ruin his ***!! Even if it looks like the truck was the most expensive thing he had, take MORE!! You know that he's already out there drunk driving again. Maybe next time he won't be so lucky to hit a Porsche and have the occupant survive. DON'T give him that chance. Make sure he can't afford to drive anything! He deserves to be paying you off for the rest of his pathetic life.
You owe it to the next person that he might hit to do your best to hurt him where it counts, his pocketbook. Do you really think he cares that he hit and almost killed you? He's pissed that he wrecked his truck, and most likely blames you for being there for him to hit!

Make sure he remembers you!

I like the idea of a firing squad though....

Glad to see you alive!

Dal.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:42 PM
lutz
Instructor

Years ago i had a big truck hit on the highway. Totalled my Volkswagen Corrado....well they ended up rebuilding it because they could not replace it. That took four years till i got money from his insurance company. What happened was....my insurance paid to fix it while we were fighting it out for the next four years. Its a well planned game the insurance companies take you through just in hopes you say f*ck this and take a low offer.
In the end they did admit fault and paid my insurance plus $3,000 for a rent-a-car i had for the 2 months it took to rebuild plus i think like $1500 in storage fees.
I ended up selling it because that thing was never right.....bought my 951
Old 04-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
there are two parts to a lawsuit. property damage, and personal injury.

the property damage was calculated at $6500. if you don't like it, and don't have collision on your car you can take it or sue for it. if you do have collision, you get to argue with your insurance company instead.

on the personal injury side, thats another story. settling for $$$ for the car doesn't preclude you from collecting for your personal injuries.

unless you are really banged up, you aren't going to collect more than the guys policy. since you weren't wearing a seatbelt, you contributed significantly to your injuries! since you are walking you probably won't get more than 25k, maximum 80k. unless you get a Bronx jury. non lawyers feel free to chime in and tell me how wrong i am.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:22 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
That 944 saved your life.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:05 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For some reason I missed this thread before!

OMG, that car gave itself up for you, that's for sure!

So, how are you doing now? Got another car yet?

- Julie

Quick Reply: 944 demolished by a drunk,