Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Facts and Speculations

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
redhorse
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Pump Facts and Speculations

...OK, did some searching but did not find answers in a reasonable amount of reading....so want to ask a water pump related question.

I have a 90 S2 and will soon be replacing all the timing related parts that wear. The waterpump currently in the car looks new, but there is no paperwork for a WP replacement among the documents I got with the car...so it will get replaced too.

As with many things I have read about these cars, there does not appear to be any "proven" guidelines about water pump replacement on them.

I am looking for the consensus (wow, even typing that word makes me sick at my stomach) view about new versus remanufactured. Of course, the issue is the cost. A remanufactured pump done by one of the companies that make the OEM new parts should be a good part. Then there are new pumps right now on eBay that look like remanufactured items....and are selling for about $135. Relatively speaking, that is a good price for a *new* S2 water pump, but as wilh rebuilder companies, there are differences in quality between new OEM suppliers as well.

So, those of you who have actual experience with these cars and their water pumps, what are your thoughts and recommendations? Much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:33 PM
guardsred944s
Rennlist Member

http://www.rennbay.com/cooling-water...710df300cee607

$160 more than your ebay item.

IMHO I do not mind spending a little extra cash on something that is a known point of failure in our cars.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Or you can order one from Zims. They are remanufactured units but I've used several and had absolutely zero issues. I've also installed them on friends cars who've had zero issues as well.

Their website is www.allzim.com. They've been using the same person to rebuild them for years and they stand behind their remanufactured pumps. I have one on my brand new 3.1L.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Remanufactured sounds like it would be ok but I would go with new. Have always put new water pumps on my car. Whenever I can I like to buy refurb or used parts simply for the price difference but when it comes to something like a water pump I would definitely go with new, hands down every time. The chance of a refurb part going bad is probably much higher than that of a new part. If you get a crap water pump you're screwed and I'm sure you know what a non-working water pump will do to your car, fun stuff, haha. But if I were you, I'd go with a new water pump. +1 guardsred944s. Well thats my two cents, hope it helps.

Last edited by sweetskillsrk; 12-05-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk
Remanufactured sounds like it would be ok but I would go with new. Have always put new water pumps on my car. Whenever I can I like to buy refurb or used parts simply for the price difference but when it comes to something like a water pump I would definitely go with new, hands down every time. The chance of a refurb part going bad is probably much higher than that of a new part. If you get a crap water pump you're screwed and I'm sure you know what a non-working water pump will do to your car, fun stuff, haha. But if I were you, I'd go with a new water pump. +1 guardsred944s. Well thats my two cents, hope it helps.
Keep in mind that there have been casting defects in new units. You can read about them here if you search.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:26 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, I know, I never said its impossible to get a new water pump thats crap.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I vaguely remember that getting a new Porsche OEM pump for an S2 is in the $500+ range, with 2 week delivery from Germany (This was early 2006). The new pump made by Laso is $350, and I haven't heard too many good things about them. I ended up ordering a rebuilt unit for $130 from the parts supplier at work. 3.5 years later, the pump is still fine.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:25 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These are very simple pumps; a cartridge bearing, an impeller, a pulley and a mechanical seal. I've taken apart original early and 85.5+ NA pumps, they don't have what I'd call superior technology. The bearing and the seal are all a reman outfit replaces (and probably the retaining clips), so quality of those parts determines life expectancy. The guy on eBay who rebuilds your pump will likely tell you where he gets his parts, I've corresponded with him about other things.

Note also that some reman's don't come with the seal behind the thermostat, and don't tell you that. They are cheap and easy to get, but you could end up waiting another week for the seal. BTDT....
Old 12-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk
Yeah, I know, I never said its impossible to get a new water pump thats crap.
Just making sure the OP gets all the info.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

eventually i would like to go the electric waterpump route like one 951er has done and be done with it
Old 12-05-2009, 09:02 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

redhorse,

I would actually like you to buy the eBay WP because I have been tempted to get one. Your input would be valuable.

I will probably go with a Zims rebuilt because of their core return policy (no crap or damage), guarantee and quality of work.

GL
John_AZ
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 PM
redhorse
AutoX

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Or you can order one from Zims. They are remanufactured units but I've used several and had absolutely zero issues. I've also installed them on friends cars who've had zero issues as well.

Their website is www.allzim.com. They've been using the same person to rebuild them for years and they stand behind their remanufactured pumps. I have one on my brand new 3.1L.
Good to know...however, when I read their information sheet about returning the core, they mention that the units are rebuilt by several manufacturers..and talk about holding your core deposit until a factory tells them the core is rebuildable. I like the idea of some ol' timer in one of those small 1800s German immigrant towns in the Texas Hill Country rebuilding these things better than when new. But that data sheet make them sound like K-Mart blue light specials. Guess I will call and ask.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 AM
smokin_944
Racer

I've got 52,000 miles on the newer style updated Laso pump, no problems. I agree with Sweetskillsrk and Guardsred944s that rebuit pumps are an unknown factor. Why take a chance?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a brand new LASO waterpump for my S2 on www.ebay.de for €188 delivered, no core charge.

Don't care for rebuilt pumps personally, as they create a big hassle if they crap out after a mere 30K miles or less, which they have been known to do.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 PM
p_tothe_g
Advanced

GO WITH NEW AND SAVE YOURSELF HEADACHES!!!!
I just recently went through a major issue with (3) water pumps. Initially bought a rebuilt from Paragon and installed, only to find out that the timing belt pully was not pressed on far enough and was rubbing on the balance shaft belt (pretty tight clearance there). Luckily I found the issue and got another rebuilt pump with the same issue, finally returned everything and got a Laso pump. The pully was in the right spot, but there were an aweful lot of machine burrs inside and out, a few minutes with a fine file and all is good. The fact I had to to a water pump job twice, not so good. Go with a new pump.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Facts and Speculations