Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what happened to my Sachs clutch disc

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009 | 04:23 AM
Litespeeds
Racer

I contacted Clutchnet and they recommended the 6 puck spring clutch disc so that is what I got. Price is $310 for just the clutch disc but if this holds up, then it is well worth it. Will post my experience after this race weekend.

Just giving them props because I ordered this disc on Monday and this week they are at SEMA in Vegas and they told me my order will be process on Friday when everyone comes back. I told them I was racing this weekend and need it asap. I paid for 2nd day air delivery so I was expecting to get it either Weds. or Thurs. The guy calls me back up and said he will get someone to come in on Tuesday to make this disc for me and then they will ship it out next day air without charging me extra. Now that is what I call great service! Thanks Clutchnet.

http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php...cat=373&page=1<br><br>

Old 11-06-2009 | 09:57 AM
krystar
Drifting

now THAT'S customer service!
Old 11-06-2009 | 11:43 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Litespeeds
I contacted Clutchnet and they recommended the 6 puck spring clutch disc so that is what I got. Price is $310 for just the clutch disc but if this holds up, then it is well worth it. Will post my experience after this race weekend....
"The quick engagement/disengagement requires full driver attention."

I bet!
Old 11-06-2009 | 11:56 AM
krystar
Drifting

heh tell me about it. on my rsx, i have a ceremetallic 3puck. it's on or off hehe
Old 11-06-2009 | 12:03 PM
mopar bob
Pro

I ran a McLoud like that behind a 500+hp big blog Mopar. I was blowing the centers out of the street strip one's once a year but the McLoud took it and keeped on ticking. You just have to get use to the no clutch slipping, it just grabs.
Old 11-07-2009 | 03:33 AM
Litespeeds
Racer

Installed the Clutchnet 6 puck spring disc and overall it is great except for the initial engagement starting off in 1st gear. I can not take off smoothly no matter what rpm I am using. Car shutters quite a bit. Guess that's the negative thing about a race clutch.

I think this is a perfect clutch disc if you are planning on using it mainly for road racing. If you plan on driving the car on the streets, then I would recommend a different clutch disc. Haven't raced on it yet but just my initial impression after picking it up from my mechanics.
Old 11-07-2009 | 10:22 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Installed the Clutchnet 6 puck spring disc and overall it is great except for the initial engagement starting off in 1st gear. I can not take off smoothly no matter what rpm I am using. Car shutters quite a bit. Guess that's the negative thing about a race clutch.
"The quick engagement/disengagement requires full driver attention."
Old 12-02-2009 | 07:04 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

I have used this clutch after the factrory rubber one got toasted when I was gearing down from 5th to 4th gear in 80km/h it was normal road tripp run and I don't know what did it. But after the change It seems the Sachs is ok, not been on a racetrack but I sometimes load it from 0-100+ km/h runs and have some fun on country roads. If it blows Il try Clutchnets clutches.
Old 12-02-2009 | 07:18 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I was too lazy to research this question... What is the deal with the segmented (puck) clutch disks? It's not intuitively obvious to the casual observer why you want less surface area on a disk that will see higher torque/loads... Something to do with space for cooling?
Old 12-02-2009 | 07:28 PM
krystar
Drifting

yea it's for cooling. usually the puck clutches will have higher clamping force than disc clutches. and the on/off behavior on puck clutches sometimes is a good thing for racing.
Old 12-02-2009 | 08:19 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If the puck clutches were full rings they would just grab even harder, which isn't needed; due to the material they use, they can get more grip with less surface.
Old 12-02-2009 | 10:39 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think this is a perfect clutch disc if you are planning on using it mainly for road racing. If you plan on driving the car on the streets, then I would recommend a different clutch disc. Haven't raced on it yet but just my initial impression after picking it up from my mechanics.

I have about 70k street miles on the same disc with KEP stage 2 PP, mine smoothed out some after about 600 miles or so.

1500 rpm at take off is smooth, still a little chatter in reverse, rev match on down shift is a must.

If you only street drive with a stockish car, then this setup is a bit much.

If you are looking to hold some big power, this will do it

Quick Reply: Look what happened to my Sachs clutch disc