Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what happened to my Sachs clutch disc

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:08 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Good thread. I learned something - don't buy the sachs disc ever again! Aside from the (much lower) cost, here's another reason to buy the vertex disc.

Krystar, a ford ranger disc? Are you crazy?! There the hell did you get that idea??
Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

That'll buff right out!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Good thread. I learned something - don't buy the sachs disc ever again! Aside from the (much lower) cost, here's another reason to buy the vertex disc.

Krystar, a ford ranger disc? Are you crazy?! There the hell did you get that idea??
whenever i need to change my clutch ill get the ford disc and take some comparison pictures to the current sachs unit for size, offset, etc and post them up for the world to see. then ill put it in my car if its good enough!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Excellence magazine from June 1989
there is an article about a guys new 951, and the guy fragged his clutch at 5800 miles...
he was auto-xing...
Porsche looked at it and declined warranty
they ran tests because they were seeing a rash of these failing
they stated any slipping, any at all, would destroy the clutch, even momentarily...
it could be thrashed hard, and as long as not slipped, would be durable..

they upgraded the part shortly there after...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

if u use the ford disc u need different flywheel bolts. the disc does not have the correct offset.

I'm also running the clutchnet disc, its very nice.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
savvas944
Instructor

EXCESSIVE HEAT BUILT UP CAUSING CLUTCH SLIP UP DURING START LINE LAUNCHES AT FULL RPM , WITH WIDE RACE RUBBER /TIGHT LSD WITH A VERY HEAVY STD FLYWHEEL SUDDENLY ENGAGING AND DISENGAGING , WITH A WEAK USED PRESSURE PLATE , COUPLED WITH OVER 350 BHP ENGINE?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRporscheman

i dunno. it was some man with porsche on this forum told me it could be done. heh. i still have a box of those 10.9 bolts. i gotta find some use for em or else they'll go to waste in my tool chest hehe
Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
whenever i need to change my clutch ill get the ford disc and take some comparison pictures to the current sachs unit for size, offset, etc and post them up for the world to see. then ill put it in my car if its good enough!
try to source a mitsu starion disc instead. that was our other viable choice when we were experimenting. there was talk of yet another one...but i can't remember what model it was for.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Litespeeds
Racer

http://www.clutchnet.com/home.php?cat=373

I think Clutchnet is the place to buy an aftermarket clutch disc. They have so many different types for different applications. I am going to call them today to see what they recommend for road racing.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:31 PM
krystar
Drifting

just peeked over at the old thread. the other option is a Ford Aerostar. a certain Adam Roberts used it with success.

man...i did not realize that they made full size vans with stickshift. i always thought those were column shifters
Old 11-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Litespeeds
Racer

Thanks for all the suggestions but I think I will stick with a clutch that is made for a Porsche 944 especially since I am road racing the vehicle.

I know some parts are interchangable between vehicles and car manufacturers but to put a Ford clutch disc into a Porsche doesn't really sound right. Maybe if it was an Audi or VW disc.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:46 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Litespeed has already seen these, but this was my Sachs disk after 4-5 year of racing. Never any issues with the friction surfaces as they looked pefect, Center did a fail.

I figured I got my money's worth and put another sachs once back in. It has been 2 full seasons now and it has been fine.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
just peeked over at the old thread. the other option is a Ford Aerostar. a certain Adam Roberts used it with success.

man...i did not realize that they made full size vans with stickshift. i always thought those were column shifters
the ford ranger, ford explorer and ford aerostar in the early 90s all had the same v6 engines and trans , 3.0L and 4.0L
Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Litespeeds
Thanks for all the suggestions but I think I will stick with a clutch that is made for a Porsche 944 especially since I am road racing the vehicle.

I know some parts are interchangable between vehicles and car manufacturers but to put a Ford clutch disc into a Porsche doesn't really sound right. Maybe if it was an Audi or VW disc.
lol why superstition? it's not like a centerforce clutch marketed for a porsche is any different than same centerforce clutch marketed for a ford ranger. ring of clutch material mounted to a center spindle is a ring of clutch material mounted to a center spindle.

besides,that engine put out 160-170 tq. more than 2.5 NA's 150tq hehe
Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Litespeeds

It's not a Ford clutch disc. Ford does not make clutches. It's a clutch disc that fits a Ford, and others. It's like a brake pad or a headlight bulb, somebody makes it, it fits a few different cars. Porsche did not even make your transmission or your brake master cylinder or the clutch hydraulics.

In the case of the 'Ford' disc I would probably not bother if there were more compatible options for similar money but if it was working great for others after a few years and was half the cost it'd get real interesting.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Look what happened to my Sachs clutch disc