Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:54 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Advice

Hi guys,

I spent the last week or so stripping the interior of my car and am ready to spray it. I have a compressor and just bought a spray gun but need advice on paint choice. Not color but type, quantity and where to source it from. I need a primer and then base coat and laquer (or could go for an all in one as it is only the interior and does not need to have a high shine.)

I plan on respraying the exterior so think I will need a gallon of primer (inside and out) and just a quart of interior base coat.

any advie and supplier?
Attached Images     
Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Ya got me - but it's looking good!

So the car wasn't maroon originally. Go figure. What color (or colour) are you going to make it?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van
Ya got me - but it's looking good!

So the car wasn't maroon originally. Go figure. What color (or colour) are you going to make it?
believe it or not the car is a SILVER ROSE. Original owner resprayed is maroon at time of purchase. Interior is going std silver, but you will have to wait to see the new exterior and graphics!

can you guess?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:03 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

stay away from laquer. Get some eurethane primer- high fill "euro-primer" - which will be two parts- 4:1 primer and reducer. Then spray the topcoat in eurethane as well. Since you wont be buffing the interior out you can go single stage eurethane but if you spray any on the outside metallic colors would have to be cleared so you can buff them. Not sure on suppliers- look in the phone book for automotive paint supply or ask a nearby body shop who supplies their paints.

-is that the car from ebay?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
believe it or not the car is a SILVER ROSE.
You da man!!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:36 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have done a heck of a lot of work inside. I saw several posts where others had stripped the inside out like you have and spay coated it with several coats of some kind of sound deadener, even inside the door panels. You might try a search on here or pelican parts.com.. I know they PP have a paint and body section and you can find the type paint you need. I would go there for your type of help needed.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Glasurit #22 line- is the only way to go I just sprayed a costumer car this past week in IT'S ALL I EVER USE.Primer and paint but be careful it's a thin paint but lays good and very sturdy.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Cass944
Drifting

i just did my engine bay last night in the same color (garnet red im guessing) and we used up a whole pint of base... and that was cutting it close. then we used up a whole quart of clear. a small can of hardener and a quart of reducer spread between the base and clear.

I used all PPG products. i would guess you would want a gallon of primer because youre probly going to lay a bunch down then find things you will want to fix then lay down more over that.

i would probly say a quart of base and a gallon of clear if you want to put down 2 - 3 coats of the clear.

are you going to be taking the dash out? or just try to cover it up and mask everything nice and tight?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 PM
msailer
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

how did you get all the tar off the floor. I have been fighting with that. So far a heat gun and scrapper are working the best.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by msailer
how did you get all the tar off the floor. I have been fighting with that. So far a heat gun and scrapper are working the best.
That is pretty much the best way to get the bulk of it from what I have found.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:18 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by msailer
i found (second time od doing this ) that a screw driver is the best method. Just scrape (hard) and it chips off. then get the angle grinder and wire wheel out and finally 3m adhesive remover then acetone ready for spray. Took me about 20 hours this time vs 40 last so I am getting faster!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

So, it'll only take you 10 hours to do mine?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it will work for these cars but on my friends Suby he was able to cool it down with dry ice and then chip / pound it off. What didn't come off that way we simply ground off with a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Beats messing with stripper, etc but sometimes you have to use all methods to get into all the different areas.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 AM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van
So, it'll only take you 10 hours to do mine?
anything for you my friend!!! Seriously, if you need a hand, the two of us would get it done in a day. Worth thinking about especially if (when) the carpet removal role comes into play for PCA racing!

Quick Reply: Paint Advice