Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944: coolant leaking then not leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:02 PM
FuelCutOff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944: coolant leaking then not leaking

I'd like some help here determining why my coolant leak went away. Car is a 1986 NA 944.

I had the car parked for a weekend. Noticed a wet spot underneath the driver side of the radiator. It was about twice the diameter of a CD...maybe more. I jacked up the car to see where it's from, but couldn't trace the leak. All my hoses were on tight. The leak was from the bottom right of the radiator if facing the car.

About 3 days ago, I stopped the car to fill the coolant reservoir since it was a bit low due to leaking. This was after driving for about 4 miles. Filled it up and went on my way. Since then, I have not noticed any more leaks. What gives?

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when refilling the reservoir, I did notice that either air went into the system or escaped as soon as I removed the cap. The motor was moderately warmed up, but not hot enough for me to not remove the cap. I flushed and bled the coolant system about 3 months ago with dextron 50/50 mix. Was the system not properly pressurized, maybe causing the leak?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:15 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuelCutOff
I'd like some help here determining why my coolant leak went away. Car is a 1986 NA 944.

I had the car parked for a weekend. Noticed a wet spot underneath the driver side of the radiator. It was about twice the diameter of a CD...maybe more. I jacked up the car to see where it's from, but couldn't trace the leak. All my hoses were on tight. The leak was from the bottom right of the radiator if facing the car.

About 3 days ago, I stopped the car to fill the coolant reservoir since it was a bit low due to leaking. This was after driving for about 4 miles. Filled it up and went on my way. Since then, I have not noticed any more leaks. What gives?

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when refilling the reservoir, I did notice that either air went into the system or escaped as soon as I removed the cap. The motor was moderately warmed up, but not hot enough for me to not remove the cap. I flushed and bled the coolant system about 3 months ago with dextron 50/50 mix. Was the system not properly pressurized, maybe causing the leak?
My bet is radiator end tank... My N/A did the same thing... leaked on drivers side.. then quit... I found when it leaked was on days when the motor was cold..

Turned out to be the end tank on the drivers side..I replaced with a new radiator and no leaks since... but then I also use GL-9 not dextron...
Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
FuelCutOff
Intermediate

John, thanks for the reply. I didn't think about the end tank being the problem. Makes sense that's it's leaking somewhere behind the radiator where I can't see it. Still weird how it just went away. Now the leak did happen over a pretty cold weekend, but it's been much warmer lately, so I'm wondering if outside temp is affecting this any. I'll find out when it gets cold again.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:24 PM
krystar
Drifting

try a coolant uv dye and light it up with a uv light
Old 10-22-2009, 03:25 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Pull the rad fans (disconnect the two wire connectors and remove the 6 screw) and check the small top hose that connects to the overflow tank. Mine was leaking randomly when this hose wasn't tight enough. It seemed to only leak when I drove the car long enough for it to get pretty hot.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

drain plug loose?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:10 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FuelCutOff
John, thanks for the reply. I didn't think about the end tank being the problem. Makes sense that's it's leaking somewhere behind the radiator where I can't see it. Still weird how it just went away. Now the leak did happen over a pretty cold weekend, but it's been much warmer lately, so I'm wondering if outside temp is affecting this any. I'll find out when it gets cold again.
cold weather makes the old rubber seal shrink between the radiator core and the end tank...some radiator shops will repair this, others will not touch it..

my advice..if you pull the radiator and try to get a radiator shop to reseal the end tanks, tell them it is out of a VW, not a porsche... just my advice though...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Maybe the radiators are improved on the later cars. I went through 3 OEM radiators in a 10 year period. They all failed from cracks in the plastic end caps right at the flange where the aluminum crimps over. The only way to repair this is to find someone who can get new end caps and gasket and re-crimp. Maybe they are available now... they weren't back then (circa mid 90's). Hopefully it is only a loose clamp or leaky fan switch gasket.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:33 PM
FuelCutOff
Intermediate

Much thanks for the info and advice guys. I really appreciate the help. It looks like there is no other way but to take the darn thing off and inspect it.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Test the system with a pressure tester and you'll be able to quickly find the leak.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:56 AM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

when you drove the 4 miles the system pressurized, when you opened the cap it vented to atmosphere.

if the leak went away, worry about it when it leaks again but you might try suggestion #10 for some piece of mind.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:03 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 1 GT SILVER I to had a small leak kept trying to find it was hard to spot since they is so much stuff in the way but that where it was leaking from, while your there check around your (thermo fan switche) good luck finding that leak.

Quick Reply: 944: coolant leaking then not leaking