Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not buy a car from a friend ever!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Three letters...P.P.I.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:39 AM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt have it "professionaly inspected' because i bought the car from a mechanic and well known guy in the porsche community. He said if anything went wrong he would fix it for me...also im not lookin for a sob story so chill out. I was usin this as a chance for people to not make my mistake...I was thinkin about takin his offer but i already stripped the car out and got rid of my Subaru specifically to own this car. He was dishonest about $2000+ of maintanace needed to be done to the car. I have money to fix the car (leaks and small issues such as motor mounts/oil pan gasket. But not everyones can drop 2grand on a clutch. w.e though if you think im stupid thats fine. I just find it strange how the main purpose of this story got blown out of proportion..
Old 10-17-2009, 02:49 AM
R.J.
Advanced

Most guys here won't see this as a cautionary tale if that's what you're hoping for. You either PPI it and interpret the report intelligently or take your chances with a test drive and the current owners verbal representation (mechanic or not). You know you should actually edit the title of this thread to read "Always Buy a Car From A Friend When He Offers A Buy-Back" He sounds like a stand up guy and most buyers would love to buy a car from a guy like that!
Old 10-17-2009, 02:58 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my best car from one of my high school buddies.

I know I just got lucky and I'm sorry you couldn't be as lucky. But sometimes friend-friend sales can be good. Sorry about your 924, that sucks!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:59 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, all I can do is laugh.
Hope your friendship stays intact. He tried to work with you.

Lesson #2: A cheap Porsche is never cheap.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by I_am_imprezed
i didnt have it "professionaly inspected' because i bought the car from a mechanic and well known guy in the porsche community. He said if anything went wrong he would fix it for me.
You're adding new facts now. He said he would fix it, and now he refuses to fix it? That's wrong.

A "tired" 1987 924 with a bad clutch is worth about $1,000. In his defense, the rubber clutch puck goes pretty quickly and suddenly. A 22 year old rubber clutch is a time bomb.

It's a shame that the state gets a $450 windfall in taxes, but that's not your friend's fault. If he gives you back what you paid him, he is as good a friend as you could ask for.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:21 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually when you buy a car its stated in the Bill of sale "AS IS" these are very important words basically meaning if the car craps out its not his responsibility.

Did you do any research before you bought the car? did he have records. I dont give a damn about peoples "credibility as a Porsche owner" Good people can own Bad Cars. Records are really the only true fail safe. But they wont stop the car from breaking down.

450 is a cheap price to pay. Suck it up
Old 10-17-2009, 12:30 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I_am_imprezed
i didnt have it "professionaly inspected' because i bought the car from a mechanic and well known guy in the porsche community. He said if anything went wrong he would fix it for me...also im not lookin for a sob story so chill out. I was usin this as a chance for people to not make my mistake...I was thinkin about takin his offer but i already stripped the car out and got rid of my Subaru specifically to own this car. He was dishonest about $2000+ of maintanace needed to be done to the car. I have money to fix the car (leaks and small issues such as motor mounts/oil pan gasket. But not everyones can drop 2grand on a clutch. w.e though if you think im stupid thats fine. I just find it strange how the main purpose of this story got blown out of proportion..
You took a risk and got rashed. I know you are trying to tell a cautionary tale here, but I think most of the folks here have the caution to walk away from the deal you bit on.

I hope it all works out.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Swagger93
Well, I'd say you are at fault for most of this--the logic used to arrive at your conclusion in reality doesn't show buying a car from a friend is a good or bad idea.

First, you bought an aging, sitting Porsche to depend on without thorough documentation, independent inspection and/or lots of personal knowledge about the vehicle and didn't assume huge things could go wrong right away and/or at least have the ability and resources to quickly repair the car yourself.

Second, you bought a Porsche to drive when you don't have a few grand in discretionary cash on hand.

Third, you've kinda shown that this guy probably isn't a great friend since he values a few measly g's over your friendship.

Really what you've proven is that the buyer's guides in Excellence and on the Web are right, since by disregarding their advice you're facing the very consequences they warn a new owner might suffer.

I've purchased or traded several cars/other stuff between friends. I always have outstanding outcomes since I know how different friends take care of their possessions. IMHO, it's better than buying from an unknown individual ... there's more information symmetry, since the car was owned by someone you know and which you likely had plenty of past contact with or at least had prior knowledge of.

I'm not here to start an argument, but I do feel that the evidence here doesn't support your conclusion and that there is strong reason to believe the very opposite.
+1
Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

this is the most astonishing/entertaining thread EVER !!

I want to party with all you guys thoughtful enough to post responses.

We need this in a new category called MUST READ for all new/might-soon-be porsche owners.

leaking stuff ?? nawwwwww !!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
.. and don't buy a Porsche if your strapped for cash .. recipe for disaster ..
x 900000 bajillion

Oh yeah and don't buy a 25 yr old Porsche for daily driving on a budget
Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shouldve checked the car out before the purchase- anything can break at any time but it sounds like it had plenty wrong to start- does sound like you paid alittle much.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:41 PM
CPR
Race Director

I bought an 87' 924S thinking that mechanically, the car was solid. The exterior had some minor surface rust and the rear panel was a little rusted. The interior was stained but i was going to strip it out and use it for DE so i did not care about the rust or the interior stains. I was told only the motor mounts and oil pan gasket needed to be replaced and i was provided with the gasket (not the mounts). I paid $3,750 for the car from a friend 145k miles on car. The owner claimed the car had brand new timing belt and water pump and assured the strong mechanical condition.

I am sorry but something doesn't seem quite right....

1. You paid $3,750 for a 924 in need of stated maintenance and body work.

2.You planned to strip this car for DE/track duty BUT you sold your daily driver Subaru....and planned to use a track car for a DD?

3. You paid $3,750 for a 924 in need of stated maintenance and body work.

4. The guy offered to give you a refund but you are more concerned with a few hundered in taxes?

5. You paid $3,750 for a 924 in need of stated maintenance and body work.

6. See #1,#3 and #5
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Thats too much for a gem 924...
Old 11-09-2009, 03:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

yeah i was gonna say i feel sorry you own a 924 .. and that was BEFORE i heard the rest of the tale

Quick Reply: Do not buy a car from a friend ever!