Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not buy a car from a friend ever!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
*rolling eyes* Not another "Poor me" story about a dood with no money buying one of the most expensive marques to repair. Spare me the drama.

C.
Originally Posted by shiners780
Best option: Let him buy the car back and suck up the $450 in taxes paid. It's the cheapest option, gets you out of having to do all those repairs, the problem goes away, and if you guys can forget about this you can remain friends (if you so choose).

edit: ArcticSteve beat me to it.
Originally Posted by R.J.
Why was this car not professionally inspected before purchase regardless of who the seller is?
Originally Posted by CPR
I bought an 87' 924S thinking that mechanically, the car was solid. The exterior had some minor surface rust and the rear panel was a little rusted. The interior was stained but i was going to strip it out and use it for DE so i did not care about the rust or the interior stains. I was told only the motor mounts and oil pan gasket needed to be replaced and i was provided with the gasket (not the mounts). I paid $3,750 for the car from a friend 145k miles on car. The owner claimed the car had brand new timing belt and water pump and assured the strong mechanical condition.

I am sorry but something doesn't seem quite right....

1. You paid $3,750 for a 924 in need of stated maintenance and body work.

2.You planned to strip this car for DE/track duty BUT you sold your daily driver Subaru....and planned to use a track car for a DD?

3. You paid $3,750 for a 924 in need of stated maintenance and body work.

4. The guy offered to give you a refund but you are more concerned with a few hundered in taxes?

5. You paid $3,750 for a 924 in need of stated maintenance and body work.

6. See #1,#3 and #5
Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by I_am_imprezed
.... . I was told only the motor mounts and oil pan gasket needed to be replaced and i was provided with the gasket .

...The right motor mount is completely collapsed and rounded off (not just bad but destroyed). Now i feel i have been taken advantage of.
So he tells you it needs motor mounts, then you are upset when it needs motor mounts?

... I suspect the rubber in the disc has gone bad.
This can happen instantly, just bad luck.

i did not care about the rust or the interior stains...

I also notice the backseat under area is soaking wet and moldy....
You did not care before purchase, but are upset after purchase??

I took a look under the car at my friends lift and noticed power steering fluid on the rack and pump...since the car was going to be convered to a manual rack i wasn't upset .
A simple look under the car would have told you this before purchase. Then you admit your plans are for a conversion anyway so why even mention it?

When buying a used car i expected it to have leaks and to put some money into it. i knew it wasnt going to be brand new and perfect,

Um....sounds like you got what you expected, and what was discribed to you was fairly accurate and are now pissed because you realize the cost to fix it?!!

The only way I would be even remotely mad at your buddy is if he knew the clutch was going bad and tried to pull one over on you. Most likely it went on it's own.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:11 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

"I bought an 87' 924S thinking that mechanically, the car was solid..."

Up until this thread I had been somewhat impressed with "I_am_imprezed."

He's suffered a pretty stiff beat down here. Maybe we can all take something from it.

Cuz, I feel like if I say any more, the next timing belt that snaps, just might be mine.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel for him. I just don't think it is fair to place the blame on the guy he bought the car from.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I feel for him. I just don't think it is fair to place the blame on the guy he bought the car from.
+1
Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

As I was pulling the engine out of my S2 on Saturday one of the guys helping me out made an valid remark. With cars this old, you're better off assuming the vehicle will need lots of maintenance rather then assuming it's well sorted and will run without issue. If I had thought that way before I bought my S2 I would have found a different one and probably have quite a bit more money in my bank account
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

"....With cars this old, you're better off assuming the vehicle will need lots of maintenance rather then assuming it's well sorted and will run without issue..."

thank you !
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luftpirate
Oh yeah and don't buy a 25 yr old Porsche for daily driving
Fixed.

Early 944s and 924S are terrible for daily use outside of summer.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Hmm... a _real_ Porsche for under $5000... how can I lose?"

-- Homer Simpson

"Doh!"

-- Homer Simpson
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 PM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yummybuddy, is that you?

Actually, $3750 is on the high side.

I don't think your friend intentionally ripped you off. The clutch is just ****ty luck, and the rear main seal and power steering leak should be picked up on with a general inspection, no need to even have it on a lift, although you coulda probably got it on a lift, given the fact your friend is a mechanic.

When I bought my 931, 4 days later the timing belt broke, I didn't blame anyone but myself and ****ty luck.

Either let him buy the car back and eat the $450 lesson or keep it and continue to learn an expensive lesson.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:04 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

sad, because he never bothered to tell us how it all turned out.

the Porsche repairshop is a beat down.

btw... the next timing belt going in my car may be the last...

i don't really believe that scheduled maintenance makes much of a difference with these motors after 120 k miles... its ALL hit or miss in the lower block.

by then, i'll have my 8 ICBMs in the bullpen ready to fly [LS2].
Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by odurandina
sad, because he never bothered to tell us how it all turned out.

the Porsche repairshop is a beat down.
I would bet he still has it!

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...it-my-car.html
Old 12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

You can do a clutch. Get that baby up on ramps, drop the exhaust, torquetube, and start at it! The rear mainseal is just right there. I have a good 8V N/A pressure plate Ill sell you.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

pj, with all due respect who the hell wants to do that ? it takes a very special Porsche owner to keep the $$$ down low. i just got back from the parts dealer for waterpump kit, full timing belt kit and front seals.

a thousand bucks plus add 500 for my personal inconvenience if i do something like that myself. in the real world we have geniuses like you or raj do it.

these frigging cars shouldn't need so much damn attention. its not a frigging Ferrari. its not even a 928... it's like honda with a few extra ponies after 5,500 rpm and 50/50 over each axle, and some damn nice lines.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by odurandina
pj, with all due respect who the hell wants to do that ? it takes a very special Porsche owner to keep the $$$ down low. i just got back from the parts dealer for waterpump kit, full timing belt kit and front seals.

a thousand bucks plus add 500 for my personal inconvenience if i do something like that myself. in the real world we have geniuses like you or raj do it.

these frigging cars shouldn't need so much damn attention. its not a frigging Ferrari. its not even a 928... it's a honda with a few extra ponies after 5,500 rpm and 50/50 over each axle.
dude 86 Turbo
179 T Belt B belt rollers (conitech)
50 Front seals no racers But got a whole kit with racers for $79
200 Rblt Water pump w gasket
15 Oil cooler seals
Roughly 450 delivered

Gotta search for the deals.

Quick Reply: Do not buy a car from a friend ever!