Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:21 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of the same experiences as others, but this pretty much says it all.

http://oncewerebachelors.blogspot.co...onths-ago.html
Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 AM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Went through my High School years in the mid to late '70s. Developed an interest in cars (most friends had muscle cars). My parents had purchased a NEW 1974 Opel Manta from a Buick dealership. Continued to college where I commuted while living at home. Commuting to college, my parents let me use this car (as they purchased a Honda Accord). They let me install some upgrades such as....replaced the steering wheel with a wooden one, replaced the Solex carb with a weber, installed headers with ansa exhaust, installed an electronic ignition system, repainted the stock steel rims.........fell in love with the german engineering. After college, I went in the US Marine Corps. My parents sold me the Opel for $5. After finishing flight school in NAS Pensacola, I decided to replace the Opel (now 10 yrs old with 160,000 miles) with a sports car (present to myself for making it through Marine corp basic training and flight school). Looked at Corvettes and Porsches (944). Loved the style of the 944 and after test driving one at a dealership, placed an order (fall of 1985 with Joe Coker Imports in Mobile, AL). I spec'd a 944 with minimal options (only cruise control and Graphite Metallic paint). Lots of options back then which drove the price up. I waited 5 months before taking ownership of the new '86. Still own it today with 275,000 miles and the joy to drive it hasn't diminished. Fun to work on. Hoping to pass down this car to my 14 year son in several years (maybe).
Old 10-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by techartisan
when I was finally 16, I sat behind the wheel of a beat up ugly underpowered (250 straight 6) 1969 Chevy nova...
LOL, I started with a '69 Chevy pickup with a 250 and "three on the tree." But it was a step-side, so it was minimally cool.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just liked it. I don't care that its a Porsche (though my wallet does).

I was cruising craigslist one night and came across a 944 in good shape, but with a blown headgasket.

I was 4 when my car was made, so I don't really ever remember seeing one before. The 911 has always been "Porsche" to me. I really liked how it looked, and when I went to see it, it was in fact in great shape, so I bought it. 1 headgasket and "while your in there" goodies later, and its a great car.

LOVE to drive it, tolerate working on it, and have spent 10x what I paid for it in parts/maint.... but who among us hasn't?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:29 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m73m95
LOVE to drive it, tolerate working on it, and have spent 10x what I paid for it in parts/maint.... but who among us hasn't?
+1. I was thinking about an earlier post and it dawned on me... if it werent for the internet, I probably wouldnt be able to afford this car. Just looking back from the original receipts (which total around $9k), I was thinking poor suckers having to take it to the dealer for parts.

When it's all said and done I will have 9-10K invested...and mine was in fantastic shape with 74k when I bought it. Cheap to buy, expensive to own....but what else would I be doing with my money?

"If it's worth the going, it's worth the ride" - Tom Waits
Old 10-18-2009, 06:07 PM
wittsend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Van
LOL, I started with a '69 Chevy pickup with a 250 and "three on the tree." But it was a step-side, so it was minimally cool.
Hey Van, How about a 1974 Ford Pinto. Usually one is confronted with going from point A to B. I had that problem along with trying not to get rear ended and exploding into a fireball. Not cool.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:28 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DLarsen
Went through my High School years in the mid to late '70s. Developed an interest in cars (most friends had muscle cars). My parents had purchased a NEW 1974 Opel Manta from a Buick dealership. Continued to college where I commuted while living at home. Commuting to college, my parents let me use this car (as they purchased a Honda Accord). They let me install some upgrades such as....replaced the steering wheel with a wooden one, replaced the Solex carb with a weber, installed headers with ansa exhaust, installed an electronic ignition system, repainted the stock steel rims.........fell in love with the german engineering. After college, I went in the US Marine Corps. My parents sold me the Opel for $5. After finishing flight school in NAS Pensacola, I decided to replace the Opel (now 10 yrs old with 160,000 miles) with a sports car (present to myself for making it through Marine corp basic training and flight school). Looked at Corvettes and Porsches (944). Loved the style of the 944 and after test driving one at a dealership, placed an order (fall of 1985 with Joe Coker Imports in Mobile, AL). I spec'd a 944 with minimal options (only cruise control and Graphite Metallic paint). Lots of options back then which drove the price up. I waited 5 months before taking ownership of the new '86. Still own it today with 275,000 miles and the joy to drive it hasn't diminished. Fun to work on. Hoping to pass down this car to my 14 year son in several years (maybe).
Great story. That's terrific that you still have the same vehicle.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:25 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

once you realize it's a toy and not a car like the average folk believe it to be you realize you are a true Porsche fan. These cars are not about anything but passion..
Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had never considered a Porsche at all

I had sold my Nova and bought my house so I was toy less for a bit, and had been thinking about what I wanted next. Originally I was going to get a Supra (the house got bigger and my toy account got smaller). The only things I was looking at were lightweight RWD cars to do a SBC swap into. I was also thinking about Camaros,Firebirds, etc but they were too common .

Anyway, I went to an auction one Saturday and actually bought 7 cars. One of which ended up being an 83 944. It went across the block right after a white one that went for ~500. I went ahead and bid it out to 450 IIRC and won.

A month later I drove it down to Arizona to take my kid to a race and it got such great gas mileage that I was impressed (if I knew then what I know now I never would have chanced it). It has made it through being a DD and a SC little hotrod and now is on it's way to becoming a turbocharged speed demon. All along I have planned doing a swap, but I just keep having too much fun with these little 4 bangers. So much so that I now have 4 of them.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:17 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

These are great stories.
I was 16 looking for my first car. My dad knew i wanted a Trans Am,
knew it was a terrible idea, and mentioned i had said i wanted to learn to drive a stick.
The only nice one i found was an Audi Fox.
That car was insane. $1500 Bulletproof. Drove it all over Mass, to North Carolina,
Stones concerts in Philly, Syracuse, Hartford,
Spring Break to the combat zone in Ft Lauderdale.
took it from 65k miles to 180k miles before i slid off the road and bent up a fender.
a few years later in '89 an almost new '87 944S came up at a local auction....
i took a look inside and saw those VDO guages. Thing reminded my so much of my AUDI.
HELL IT WAS IN THE SAME FAMILY...... anyway, i got a friend
to bid and get me the car... never put a dime into that car no timing belts nothing..........drove it
99k miles until i ran out of oil after forgetting to check it for several weeks 180 mile daily commutes.
By that time i wanted a 968.

Last edited by odurandina; 11-19-2019 at 01:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FrontPorsche87 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 06:35 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

I bought a 944, and later a 924S, to take up space in the garage. I pushed the 944 into the garage with the help of the tow driver that brought it to me. I only ever drove the 924S from the front of my home where another tow driver dropped it off into the garage. Now both are hopelessly ripped apart. They're great looking cars. I hear you can actually make them drive & stuff, but I do not believe that.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:46 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

When I was about 10y old, my grandfather always took me to a walk past a house that had brand new 944 turbo. It was imprinted in my subconsciousness forever. Since we were at the time in somewhat elite part of the town, naibghours in the 80's had all kinds of exotics, lambos, ferraris, vipers, 911s etc. But for some reason 944 really hit my soft tissue hard and I lusted for it ever since.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:05 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Chest pains.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:50 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Jake Ryan hero car!

Actually my Dad had one when he worked for Porsche in the mid-80's in Reno, NV. He hated it. I loved it.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:44 PM
FrontPorsche87
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love this post, so honest you even admitted to running out of oil LOL
You could have been the model for the original 944 advertisement !

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a Porsche?