Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:09 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why did you buy a Porsche?

Seems like quite a diverse group of people around here....

I bought mine as I'm a professional visual artist and loved the lines. I also have a deep appreciation for quality engineering and attention to detail. There is something quintessential about 80's Porsche design. I also like restoring vintage things back to health. I viewed this as a challenge and an opportunity to own something unique.

I didnt realize how much I would learn about automobiles...which has made this totally worth it. I will probably own one for the rest of my life...

What's your story?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:47 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a 944 because I had lusted for one ever since that fold out ad in 1982 featuring a bright red 944 that said "Dr. Porsche invites you to test drive the newest Porsche ... "
Old 10-16-2009, 03:58 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just start my first job and it was love at first site for both the 944S2 and 968 when they were released. Had to wait 15 years, but I got them
Old 10-16-2009, 04:07 AM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

How I came into my Porsche...

It was in 1984 and I was a sophmore in high school. I fell in love with the 944 in the movie Sixteen Candles. I hounded my parents and for graduation night my parents handed me a gift and in the box were the keys to a new '86 Porsche 944. I still have the car to this day. It has less than 70k miles on it. It has been reliable and is a joy to drive. It still turns head and there isn't a day when someone comes up and talks to me about the car.

I had been a fan of Porsche design of the 70's, 80's & 90's. I agree with Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson that todays Porsche design is rather bland and boring. With saying that. Porsche is one of the best built cars. I have to say the Germans do it better and Porsche does it best.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:18 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevsporsche944
I fell in love with the 944 in the movie Sixteen Candles.
Ha...I have wondered how many Porsches John Hughes is responsible for selling...My friend once said "Jake wants his car back."

I really think no car design represents the 1980's like Porsche....they are permanently timestamped /imprinted into the collective human psyche. I'm living proof and it's why everywhere you go people stop and look....
Old 10-16-2009, 05:10 AM
DANNiE
Instructor

I always was a 911 fan... But honestly could never afford a porsche... As a VW guy I always hunted for Porsches with CIS/CIS-E and Turbo model 924/944s because I could take the parts and drop them into my VW for upgrades and I since I saw the 944 Turbo I loved the car; Granted I always liked the styling of the 911 but the idea of the flat six air cooled and later watercooled in the back I never liked the idea of it because of my time working on beetles I hated the headache of cramming in the back hatch and once I saw that VW/Audi was stamped on the block of the 944 and the motor was in the front and the Turbo model and the sexy sleek front and hide away lights I just loved the car plus it was a VW in porsche clothing LoL Granted Porsche will always be the Daddy to VW and Audi is the cousin; but when I got the word from a friend his friend was selling his S2 for cheap I sold my VW and saved up ever check for a month and bought it..!

The Story... Continues as it does with all... Maybe one day Ill get into a 911 but if anything I want a Turbo Porsche any model except the Cayanne... LoL
Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

The other day someone stopped me. I told them that it's not that fast of a car. He said " Well it looks fast standing still"
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 AM
vicvtr
Advanced

Always wanted a Porsche, but i just could not afford a 911,so opt for the 944 just to fulfill my dream of owning a Porsche, actually always thought by myself when seeing a 944 that it was not a “real” Porsche and I hated the rear end! Now after owning a 944 I think differently and enjoy owning one, although I must confess if I really had the money I would buy me a 911.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

My best friend's father was the finance manager at the local Porsche dealership, which meant I had a steady supply of Porsche chotskies, including the poster that's now my avatar. Fair to say that 80's Porsche was imprinted on my DNA.

Fast forward 20 years and one of the folks that worked for me says "My daughter is off at college, we have four cars for two drivers and the Porsche has to go. We don't want to mess with selling it so we're going to donate it to charity." I started asking questions ('87 944 turbo, 65k miles, 10k miles on clutch, stack of receipts since new) and she said "Do you want it? You can have it for what we'll take for the tax write off."

Got on a plane to San Jose that Friday and drove it home :-)
Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Wanted a 951 since I was about 14, but couldn't afford one in high school. Ran across a good deal on a 924S a few years later when I was 19 and bought it. Did a timing belt and water pump the first week of owning it. Traded it a year later and regretted it so last summer I started looking again and came across a 80 924 Turbo. Bought it and had it for a few months before I started looking for a 944 Turbo. I had finally made enough money to afford one from parting the car I traded my 924S for (tripled my investment )...anyways, come across the 87 951 that I now have in Kansas and took a 1600 mile road trip to go get it. Holding onto this one for a long time as I've been waiting quite a long time to get it

Oh...and why have I always lusted for them?...idk. They are decently fast, handle great, look great, rare, fun to drive, and I love how they look better than 99.9% of new cars, despite being 22+ years old. I've had people ask what year it is and they drop their jaw when you tell them it's an 87.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Prior to this, I never dreamed that I would ever be able to own a Porsche....

It started early in mid 2004. Wife & I were going to be celebrating our 20th Anniversary in Oct. When we got married in 1984, I had a '71 Datsun 240Z that we both autox'ed, and then I started SCCA racing with it. After 2 years of road racing, in 1987, our first son was born, and I sold the the -Z- after the season ended. After many years of station wagons, mini vans and a Suburban, my wife decided in 2004 that we didn't need both a minivan and Suburban (used to tow our 18' boat). Because of our history with the Datsun Z, we originally started looking at 350Z's. But wife suggested we get a convertible this time around. So we waited till the first 350Z drop-top arrived at a local dealership....and.....we did not like the looks . Started looking for something else in the same price range, and were suprised to find how affordable used Boxster's were, including some with CPO warranties. We ended up with a CPO 2000 Boxster S, and were thrilled with it. Bye bye minivan.....

Then we found out about this thing called PCA. Did an autocross with them, and learned about something called DE's. Next thing you know, we're doing DE's in the Boxster, and I've become the Regional Autox chair. Then bought a 944S2 for myself, so we didn't have to share and beat up the Boxster at DE's. My older boys got their licenses, and started driving with us. Then I bought another 944S2. But shortly afterwards, the first one was totalled in a freak accident. Bought a 85.5 944 with plans to convert it into a race car. But then came upon a good deal for a turn-key 944 SP2 race car, trailer & parts car (thanks TD in DC!). Been a DE instructor, and racing with PCA and NASA for the last 2 years.

Between the performance & handling of the cars, the camaraderie of PCA, some online forums, 944Cup and new found friendships with other P-car enthusiasts, I/we couldn't be happier! Sure we've had some ups & downs (944S2's accident, spun bearings, clutch or 2, broken cam chain, etc.) but in the end have learned from each incident, and continue to appreciate how well engineered these cars are, and how much fun they are to drive.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was only $1200 -- how could I go wrong!?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad bought a 1986 Pearl Porsche 911 turbo when i was about 11 or 12. It was an amazing car - I'll never forget the smell of the leather interior and the raw torque that car had. He eventually sold it but when I was about 19 he bought a guards red 1987 944 NA from Jim Ellis here in Atlanta. I was doing well with landscape jobs after school and he ended up selling the car to me. It may sound wierd but the car really helped me some self confidence and made the hard work landscaping worth it. I was living at home and commuting to college about 45 minutes away - all highway. Good times!

Now I've had a couple different turbos and two S2s - still love the car for the lines, uniqueness and mechanics - even more so that I work on it myself. Probably have near the power that 930 had too
Old 10-16-2009, 10:56 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was 17 in 1987 and my neighbor two doors down had a guards red 951 that I would have given my left nut just to sit in...always told myself that one day I'll own a Porsche. I had completely forgot about that 'dream' until my Dad was over last Christmas and over some single malt scotch and cuban cigars we were discussing, among other things, which car from our childhood we'd like to own now. I immediately thought of that 951 and went online that night checking out prices and such. Three weeks later I was driving mine home. Been enjoying the hell out of it for a year now...what a great car.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
Ha...I have wondered how many Porsches John Hughes is responsible for selling...My friend once said "Jake wants his car back."

I really think no car design represents the 1980's like Porsche....they are permanently timestamped /imprinted into the collective human psyche. I'm living proof and it's why everywhere you go people stop and look....
My friends have taken to calling my car 16 candles, as have some of their parents.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a Porsche?