Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:17 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought mine from a coworker two years ago. Always lusted for Porsches. The whole form follows function, follows purpose thing has always resonated with me.

It's my daily driver 8 months out of the year. Have never taken it to the repair shop. My garage is the repair shop. Perfect platform to wrench on and learn a few things about cars. It hasn't nickle and dimed me yet, but that could all change with a major component failure.

I must admit that I had always wanted a 911, but after owning this 944 for a couple years, you would have to pry it out of my hands. The cult type following and untold story of the 944 are what make this car appealing to me. Still turns heads (as others have mentioned) and I still have total strangers asking me about it. Try to get that with a mustang or equivalent.

The internet following for this car was also a major reason for buying it. Between CG and this forum, I have found the majority of my repair information. The insight everyone provides is priceless and is one of the main reasons that I am financially able to own my 944. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this knowledge base.

-bp

'84
Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

So true, Tifo!

My first hot chick story: I bought my 914 the summer of 1995 and on the way home ran it out of gas (had no idea how much was in it, and the gauge didn't work). I'm coasting off an exit ramp with a gas station right there, but I don't quite make it. However, these three hot highschool chicks (at least they seemed hot at the time) came over and started pushing me to the gas station!

After I thanked them, they asked me to buy them cigarettes - because they were under-age, of course... As I buy them, the clerk says, in a pretty gruff voice, "So, the girlies finally got their cigs." I respond with, "Why not?! It's the least I can do after they push my car here so I can buy your gas!"

I don't think I've had any "hot chick encounters" since then, though...
Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 PM
NYFlapjack2
Rennlist Member

Default Because it is an economy car

”What's your story?”

^ ^ ^ ^ I’ll echo Salzund Pfeffer ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^..........

My 944 is almost a DD and I feel its an econo box while having my cake too!
I have fairly new SUV for the worse winter and back up.
I’d looked other CNY econo box rust buckets, with 100k miles, needing stuff, 4 cyl tired and wore.
In the same $3k price range, so turning me off,...OMG Bleeeckkkkkk....and they will need same parts & maint.
Some for parts that aren’t user serviceable and $$$$ expensive!!!

944 Econo box you say? Rationale is:
Found this local - “No Winter” 944 survivor.
Non OBDII car (NYS inspection $$$ cash cow for garages).
So much thanks for all sharing their maint/repair knowledge.
These web forums well.....it is what makes the below true for me.

Feel that the 944 is more of a very solid foundation car I can maintain vs. late model econo box.
That the 944 N/A is as basic a car as they come for a DIY wrench.
Early 944 N/A’s are cake for routine maintenance, with repairs just plain easy IMHO.
No rust means everything unbolts which is nice. (OK Bro’s NAPA, garage & lift help too).

Add 24.5 city, 28 highway MPG combined with the entry price it saves me $$$$$.
I’m driving it easy for an aged car (read: no different than any other Econo box would be driven!!!).
I don’t intend to autocross or race it, so it will have a leisurely low performance demanded life.

To the original post quote ...“I will probably own one for the rest of my life...”
I’ll add that I have already told folks
“I am driving my parts car now....I will get another exact one when I wear it out”.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the heritage of the company
the engineering of the car
the way it drives

the 'feel' of the car
Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Pops Moneypit
Track Day

Get commfy boys, it's a long & sad story of lusting, waiting, and hoping that someday it would happen again. In 1976, I found an old Austin Healy Sprite in a guys backyard partially under a tarp (it should have stayed there, it was a rust bucket) and bought it from him for $200. Had to put an engine in it for another $200 but finally got it on the road. My first sports car and the dream begins. I drove it for 2 years before it met its maker. In 1983 I bought a 73' MGB that was owned by a mechanic and was mint. Drove it for 3 years and sold it back to the mechanic for $1K more than he sold it to me for. Pretty sweet deal, but was never very fond of English cars. The twin carburators were a pain to keep adjusted right. Then one day a friend drove up in a 76' 911 and took me for the drive of my life. OMG, it was the fastest thing I had been in. He was doing 120mph thru Atlanta and when we got off the interstate he took the ramp at 100 and stopped it on a dime. Then just as quickly tore away again. Geez Louise, I have never forgotten that day and have always wanted to have my own Porsche. Admittedly a 911.

Two years ago, my son-in-laws father gave him his 83' 944 N/A and told him to take care of it. Well, as kids are apt to do, he drove the car as DR. Porsche would have liked and eventually pushed the clutch thru the firewall. For some reason, he had the car towed to my house and he let it sit in my driveway for a year and a half not knowing how to make the repair. (We respectfully don't like each other so he never asked for help with the car.) All that time I am telling myself not to get to excited about it because he will never sell it. As time went by and the kids owed us more and more money from my wife and I providing our our version of the stimulus plan, I told him we could settle the debt by handing over the title to the Porsche. He hesitated a little but relented and I have since put in over $2K in repairs to get it back on the road. Once I finally got it on the road I got that same old feeeling of Woooosshhhh as the tach went over 5K. Man I love this car. It will be in my drive way until they pry the keys out of my cold dead hands.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

My first was 8 years ago. A 924S. It was sitting outside a place called Mantis Racing, a Toronto area Porsche shop heavy into the Ontario and NY race scene. It was the owners car and he told me that usually he would not have bothered re-doing it, but it was an unusual car. Had 6 prior owners. Anyways he was true to his word. I've changed the fluids, one set of rear brake pads, upper rad hose and some cheap ignition wires and that's it. Also teenage son driving it like he stole it from day one. Some cars are just blessed.

Of course it was lacking in highway punch so a S2 came available outside of Toronto with a new 968 block and full rebuild. Original motor blew up because the cam chain guide gave out and the chain ripped the head apart which is typical for this motor. The car also had a newer LSD. However, it needed a clutch so I did that this winter past (actually the flywheel had glazed up, but I did everything anyways). However, without this site and Clark's I would not have bought it.

Having said all that I'm getting restless and have pretty much discounted a 3.2 911 or a 964. From my lengthy readings it appears to me that whatever 3.2 or 964 I might acquire they will require total rebuilds and the majority for sale are not quite there yet like my S2 was; rebuilt by someone else's wallet. Actually considering a C6 Vette.

Last edited by ArcticSteve; 10-16-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 PM
rdanford
Racer

When I was growing up there was a guy that bought a brand new 1989 951S (black on black with polished club sports and B&B exhaust) that I feel in love with...I was 7.

When I started looking for cars when I got my permit, I wanted a Porsche but that wasn't going to happen, so I got a Wrangler and mods began...Began looking for sports cars after a year of driving, went to look a Darker Yellow M3 but the salesmen didn't come out for a kid. Went the next day to a different dealer which said they had a rare 951. My dad and I went to look and I came home with a 1987 951 in Summer Yellow.

After 10+ years of ownership I still love it and will never part with it...There is no substitute!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

the bulges in the fenders complimented the very very large bulge in my pants.

or was it the bulges in teh fenders compensated for the lack of bulge in my pants.

either way the purchase of my car as well as choice of wife etc. had to do with my libido.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

. . . because I'm a glutton for punishment.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

. . . because I'm a glutton for punishment.

I couldn't agree more...masochistic indulgence
Old 10-17-2009, 01:38 AM
wittsend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlackOp
What's your story?
Back in 82 I purchased a basket case 77' 924 and rebuilt it from the ground up. I always admired the style and being a machinist I appreciated the engineering. It was a great experience and a joy to drive; all 95 horses or so. So in 83 when the 944 came out the designers had done a really nice job with the sheet metal with it's aggresive styling and power the platform deserved. Well, like many have said here, I was a kid and couldn't afford the new model...some day.

In 07' I bought a low mileage S2. This car is fantastic! Very good power, balance and unique styling that is timeless to me. It was the article in an Excellence magazine that my brother had shown me in 07' that got me to actively search for the car. I was strictly looking for an S2 because of the turbo styling and it was the most powerful of the N/A line. Since I would be doing all the repairs I felt the N/A would be less of a pain to repair than the more complex turbo. I will always own a porsche from here on out, and if it is just this one that will be alright by me.

Thanks to all of the contributors to this forum it has been a valuble source of information.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:34 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

This could be kinda lengthy but I will try to keep it short. WAAAAAAAAY back when I was like 11 years old setting in my fathers hotel in FL he asked me "son in a few years you will be driving do you have a car of preference?" I thought for a moment and got an idea I said " I'm going to walk out and the first car I see is what I will like" Simple cut and dry rite?! Well I looked down onto a dark blue 944 turbo with a sunroof and then started to read about it because people were always saying porsche was just a golafied VW. I had thought it had waaay more then a four cylinder engine in it for sure cuz it was faster and saw my first one was shocked when I open the hood to see a four in it. When I did my first drive I had no more doubts that the engine had enough power

Also I prolly was one of the only kids that like to go to church because there was A Porsche dealer right across the street!!!!

So I started cutting all the neighbors grass saving money and a day before my 15 birthday got my first porsche and 1983 slate grey 944 for 3k that was primered in spots and it goes on from there

Turbo carrera cabrio
ruf 930
cayenne turbo S
944 n/a
944 turbo
924s

BUT in the end it still goes all the way back to my real love the 944 turbo where it all started !!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

I had just got to my duty station, and I wanted a car. I found an imported Skylin R32 GTS-T. However due to me not having any credit, I was turned down for a loan. In my anger I got on ebay (big mistake) and found a 944 for sale not an hour up the road from me. And for only 3k (which I had in the bank). So I bought it. It's been downhill from there. Having a bad 944 has just made me really want a good one. I dream of owning an S2 or a 951 some day. More so I dream about getting into another when I get back from this!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:08 AM
techartisan
Racer

LANA.....
porsche 928
Rebecca De Mornay had me ready to jump up and down on oprahs couch...and she had just gotten it.

That was it. I was CERTAIN a porsche 928 would be my first car and hot young chicks would flee prostitution to get with me LMAO My stepfather had different ideas....

So 6 years later, when I was finally 16, I sat behind the wheel of a beat up ugly underpowered (250 straight 6) 1969 Chevy nova...I flipped on the crappy stock radio...and through the degraded and beat speakers Tony Toni Tone's "the blues" set in on me....

"Just because he drives a Porsche
And girl I drive a Nova"

thankfully my nova only lasted about as long as that songs popularity....then the stepdad pushed me into a 1973 (first ugly year) chevy malibu. Six month later when it died....

I drove to boulder and bought a VW bug with a rebuilt engine and a beat body....talked the shop teacher at my first highschool (id transferred out after my sophomore year) into selling me a bradley gtII body they had stored in the rafters for nearly a decade since it had been abandoned by a student unable to finish repairs. It wasnt a porsche....but it was porsche yellow...german base...and an engine I could work on easily.....the gullwing doors and general "what the f***" was great but when I got rear ended I knew it was time....

and I bought a 1979 924....it wasnt like any vehicle I had driven before...it drove so much nicer then my little kitcar....and while I loved the Bradley...This was a REAL CAR. My best friend looked at me the day I bought it....

"You know with an audi engine, in front no less....your bradley was closer to being a real porsche then this".

In 93 living in louisiana parts were expensive and hard to come by...no rennlist nor ebay for me....so our affair was short lived.

Ive had a few regular rides since....all of which were a chore to drive....no fun. When my twins saw a pic of me with my old 924 and asked "OOH Daddy when we get old enough to drive....." I couldnt resist....the 1984 944na I bought has been great. I dont think I could ask for a better vehicle to teach them to wrench on. In a couple of years when they turn 15 Im buying them a builder of their own.

I drive a porsche because....
its not every other car in the garage......it actually makes me want to wrench her.
its not every other car in the parking lot.......it stands out when Im looking for her.
its not every other car on the road............it REALLY steps up when Im driving her.

Im not done with her restore yet so Ive not had much "public" interaction....I hadnt given much thought to it before this thread..but with my second marriage a bit past a year over......I guess she is worth a few "cool points"...who knows if I keep saving them up maybe Ill find one of these "hotter chicks"....

Hope she wrenches too

Last edited by techartisan; 10-17-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:54 PM
rhs63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always liked Porsche's, yet I never thought I'd buy one. Some time ago I watcher "Wheeler Dealers" and they happened to work on a 924, raving about the bullet-proof reliability and rust-free due to galvanization. That got me interested, so researched 924 and quickly got to learn about 944's. That's when I decided that I wanted one at some point...

Fast forward to 2009. I lost my job in February (sad), but got some severance pay. While I was looking for work, I had time to look around for 944's and so I did. I found a great example sometime around August, so I asked my wife if it was ok to buy that car if I find a job and have some of the severance pay left. Surprisingly she agreed! Just a week later I found a job and was able to buy that 944 that I had eyeballed. What a bit of luck. Never looked back since. Just love the car.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a Porsche?