Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning oil like a navy destroyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
pardon my newbness but what are the AOS seals? my cars been using a bit more oil and i've been wanting to find out why...
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...this-area.html

I don't know why people say this is easy...yeah, easy if you have half the engine out maybe...

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...placement.html

Do a forum search for "AOS Seal" and you'll get plenty of info.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
What kind of oil are you using? These cars tend to 'drink' synthetic oil more easily than mineral.

If you're running full synthetic, I suggest you switch back to a good dino oil in 20W-50 weight and see how that goes.
nothing but dinojuice 20-50 since the full rebuild
Old 08-20-2009, 12:12 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by choinga
In a normal engine with no problems - where is a quart of oil every 400 miles going?? That seems way high to me?
+1, I need about a quart of dyno oil every 4k miles. Adding oil to a 944 every 400 miles is like a quart every time you fill up with gas! Doesn't sound right to me.

You are either burning it (worn valve guide seals or piston oil scraper rings or ingesting it through the intake. There should only be fumes coming out of that AOS which will cause a light mist of oil to settle on the j-boot. If you have pools of oil that is the problem.

You will lose more synthetic than dyno oil in these engines, especially if you are running a low viscosity synthetic. I use Shell Rotella T 15W-40 or Brad Penn 15W-40 without any issues.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Spencer's engine is new. There is a pretty major problem going on. I highly doubt his choice of oil has anything to do with this.

Spencer, I think you should have a leak down test done (or do it yourself if you have the tools). There has to be something internally wrong. I'm guessing a broken ring, or a gouged cylinder . I can't explain why there's no smoke out of the exhaust, but the oil has to be going somewhere.

Maybe the cat is cleaning the oil out of the exhaust, in which case, you might be due for a new cat as well. Maybe pull the O2 and see if its covered in soot.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Before I go check my j-boot and plugs...

A broken ring or gouged cylinder would be noticeable for power output. My car still pulls HARD (well, as hard as it can with 150hp and a 3.375 axle) all the way to redline without issue. Catalyst is less than a year old. I'll try to get my o2 out as well. Will let you know in a bit.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

plugs are all dry and whitish on the tips.

pulled the j boot, clean and dry until just after the aos hose connects to it, the inside of the bellows were wet with oil. saw a bit of a shimmer on the inside of the throttle but peeked inside the manifold and didnt see any obvious signs of alot of oil. must be constant, low-quantity vapor being burned...
Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Its really easy to replace those seals. Should take an hour or so on a new engine (no rusted bolts).

Just make sure you lube up the new seals good before you put them in. When you order the seals, order new intake gaskets too!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

may as well since im doing the 951 oil cooler in a few days anyway
Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m73m95
Its really easy to replace those seals. Should take an hour or so on a new engine (no rusted bolts).

Just make sure you lube up the new seals good before you put them in. When you order the seals, order new intake gaskets too!
The AOS seals being replaced will help, if the AOS is leaking ONTO the engine, not blowing oil into the intake... opening the AOS and filling it with a matrix to catch the oil that is getting suspended in the crankcase gasses is what is needed, or addition of a catch can...

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...exhaust-2.html

page 2, steel wool...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

curious...whenever i go to top off my oil a good amount of vapor comes out...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

with the engine running?

This might be a dumb question, but are the rings in your new engine made for our alusil block?

I'm thinking that maybe (because you have a lot of blow by) that your rings are either shot, or you have a broken/seized one. If the right rings weren't put on the pistons (doubtful), then the silicon might have worn down the rings, OR if the block wasn't prepped properly then your rings my also be shot.

A broken or seized ring can be from a few reasons, but will show up in a leak down test as 1 cylinder being worse than the others.....

Either condition might not be bad enough for you to notice a loss in power because the cylinder is still compressing the air/fuel mix, just not as much.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
with the engine running?

This might be a dumb question, but are the rings in your new engine made for our alusil block?

I'm thinking that maybe (because you have a lot of blow by) that your rings are either shot, or you have a broken/seized one. If the right rings weren't put on the pistons (doubtful), then the silicon might have worn down the rings, OR if the block wasn't prepped properly then your rings my also be shot.

A broken or seized ring can be from a few reasons, but will show up in a leak down test as 1 cylinder being worse than the others.....

Either condition might not be bad enough for you to notice a loss in power because the cylinder is still compressing the air/fuel mix, just not as much.
Rings were OEM-spec. At time of teardown engine block had ~66,000 miles on it since new. Cylinder walls were PRISTINE. I'll do a compression test in the morning, what kind of numbers should I expect to see cold/hot? About 150?

I only check the oil when the car is up to temperature but is shut off, and when I go to add oil after checking the dipstick, vapors come out for the entire time the cap is off.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Rings were OEM-spec. At time of teardown engine block had ~66,000 miles on it since new. Cylinder walls were PRISTINE. I'll do a compression test in the morning, what kind of numbers should I expect to see cold/hot? About 150?

I only check the oil when the car is up to temperature but is shut off, and when I go to add oil after checking the dipstick, vapors come out for the entire time the cap is off.
You need to do a leakdown check, not a compression test...

less than 5% per cylinder, with all within 2% of each other.. beyond this is sign of evidence of worn / broken parts somewhere...

If you see excess leakdown, open the oil cap and take off teh j boot... listen to the AOS, the intake and the tailpipe... the hissing is the source of the issue (intake for intake valve, tailpipe for exhaust valve, and AOS for ring blow by)
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

^^ What he said.

Also, I believe Autozone or Checker rents leak down testers. All you need is an air compressor
Old 08-21-2009, 02:14 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

now that ive discovered there is oil in my j-boot and intake and my aos vaporizes can we rule out the rings/valves? i HIGHLY doubt that there is anything even slightly wrong with them. also today i noticed what might be a small leak from under the dipstick but not sure.

in the next few days i will probably be changing the oil again (adding a 951 oil cooler) so i will start again with 7 or 7.5 qts (whatever it takes to fill up that cooler too) and track it after say a week to get some idea of how much is disappearing.

quick question...would extra oil burning have anything to do with the fact that pretty much every other stoplight i gun it up to 6000+rpm in 1st and when hitting the freeway just miss the rev limiter (limiter is ~6520 and i hit about 6400 every time lol) until 4th gear? i run it a little higher around town because i have the turbo gearbox and need to get moving...i told you i run it hard (only once its warm though!).

no, basically i flog the holy hell out of it.

Quick Reply: Burning oil like a navy destroyer