Air/Oil Seperator seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air/Oil Seperator seal replacement

How many of you actually replaced the AOS seals WITHOUT removing the turbocharger?

I should have replaced them when the turbo was out sometime last year, but didn't.

Anways, i did a search and found a couple of people did actually do this, several times.

For those who did replace the AOS seals WITHOUT removing the turbo, kindly post here on any tips/tricks, since i found a heat shield hiding the bottom bolt for the AOS and the turbocharger exhaust downpipe is in the way.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 11:52 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent a whole day on that last year when I did my clutch. I removed tons of stuff and actually got a wrench on the bottom bolt, but I chickened out because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back in. Someone suggested using a dremel to cut the heat shield from in front of the bolt, but I couldn't get it in there. I just put it back together and my 'please don't leak' prayer was answered.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've tried to do it with the turbo in place, and that bottom bolt hits the heat shield. The darn thing is longer than it needs to be, so maybe some have replaced with a shorter bolt to make it possible with the turbo in place?

I can do a lot of things that others can't on these cars, but not that one!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:05 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it with the turbo in place, but it took a while to cut that damn heatshield its tough. After it was cut and I got the AOS out I covered that side of it with thermotec adheasive heatshielding and its held up fine since I even checked it last week since i have the turbo out and its in good condition.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 AM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

I just did mine with the turbo on, but MPD47 cut off the downpipe flange that the bolt goes thru. I removed the intake support and the heatshield with no problem! Only to find that I'm still a smokin' so the turbo is going to come off anyways.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did mine, but it's really a pain and I wouldn't recommend doing it that way.

I got the heatshield off without cutting anything, but I had to remove the down pipe to turbine housing nuts and move the down pipe as far out of the way as possible without being able to remove it. Even then, getting the heat shield out was a major pain. I wouldn't do it this way again, I would just bite the bullet and pull the turbo.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Theo951
Advanced

It was not an easy job. The AOS was leaking for years & the heatshield removal was not possible without removing everything around.
Since all was remove I have cut the heatshield to make AOS removal possible after removing the air intake bridge.
I was surprised to see that AOS was leaking from the round top cover (were the oil steam goes back to intake). This cap is snap-on part to the rest of AOS body & shielded with an O ring. I have noticed that not even the new AOS got from the dealer was proper snaped. I have fixed problem on the new AOS & since a year after the installation no issues noticed. The new AOS is covered with adhesive heat matt to keep the exposed side of AOS cool.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many bolts are holding that heatshield in place?

I know two of those heatshield bolts are also holding the intake manifold support bracket, correct?

I cannot find that heatshield on PET
Old 05-11-2007, 06:03 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

two bolts or a bolt and a stud in my case its the same bolts that hold the intake support bracket
Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Theo951
Advanced

Default Heatshield on PET

The heatshield is on the PET part 15.
Since you have removed it, cut it from the location on the red arrow.
The screw holes are on green, but this part is so badly bend that you need to remove the Turbo downpipe in order to get it out.

Last edited by Theo951; 03-11-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Air/Oil Seperator seal replacement