Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air oil seperator, can anyone share experience with this area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air oil seperator, can anyone share experience with this area?

Ive been talking with amjf088 a bit about our cars and figured it might be worth a shot to try and address some of my oil consumption problems. It varies greatly depending on how i am driving it, but i would say i consume about half a quart of oil every 600 miles or so. That includes spirited driving between 4 and 5k rpms, however hardly ever going over 5k ( i find my car runs out of breath it seems at that high RPMs, seems pointless to go that high).

I know its possible that its worn rings or valve stem seals, but i have also read (and Allan explained to me) that the air oil seperator can start leaking. I remember reading in the past there are two gaskets that seem to leak and fail. Can anyone give me an idea as to what needs to be done to change these and where they are (refer to picture below)..? I know the intake manifold needs to come off, and thats about it. Also what are the part #'s for these two gaskets?

What kind of symptoms should i see from a faulty air oil seperator? I get no oil accumilation in the airbox, but i have never pulled the j-boot to check the throttle body (will do so this weekend). Would a leaking AOS show visible leakage around the drivers side of the oil pan, i used to think this was related to the dipstick o-ring, but perhaps its not.

Other useful info to note is the engine has 77k miles on it and to my knowledge has never been rebuilt. I am using dino, 10W-30 right now, but usually used 10W40 in the winter (not sure why i went with 30 this time). Summer time i use 20W-50.

I know thats a ton of questions. Just hoping someone can lead me into the right direction. Perhaps my oil leakage and burning is all related to the same problem...that would be waaay to good to be true . Dont have the right stuff to do a compression test, will try and see if anyone does...im almost scared to see what it would say!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:53 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaking o-rings on the oil filler would leave a huge swath of oil all over the bottom of your car. Puddles on your drive way too. Bad rings and valve guides are the major cause of oil consumption next to seal leaks.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just answered my own question about the gaskets, the part #'s are (for future reference)

999 701 613 40 20mm x 5mm and 999 701 661 40 24mm x 5 mm

Also they are #16 and # 44 on that diagram i posted...its amazing that right after i post the question, i find all the answers. It always hapens!

Edit - Just pulled the J-boot...defenetley need to get those o-rings changed .

Im curious, is it possible for oil to have gotten sucked into the idle stabilizer? I do have a problem with an intermitten rough idle, perhaps that is the cause? Looks like when i pull the intake manifold ill get around to fixing all of these little issues ive been having.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 01-05-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Air oil seperator, can anyone share experience with this area?