Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illiteracy in America

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 02:34 PM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Illiteracy in America

Am I the only one who has noticed a trend of poor grammar and misspelled words?

Lazy bastards, use a spellchecker.

My breaks are going out, cause I baught some crappy pads.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:37 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

'ey man...I kan write dumb nice...whut ya be talkin about man?

don't hate foo!
Old 08-01-2002, 02:45 PM
Doug944s2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But what if my spell-czecher is dun broke?

BTW, apostrophe missing in "doesn't" in your signature quote.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:50 PM
Z-man
Race Director

It is getting worse and worse.
I can't read a good novel without spotting several misspelled words.
I have seen many spelling and grammatical errors on websites like cnn.com. I can understand improper spelling and grammar on our web boards, but on cnn.com? Give me a break!

Maybe I'm in tune to spelling / grammar because my wife is a 6th grade English / Reading teacher!
-Zoltan.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:34 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Water944t:
<strong>Am I the only one who has noticed a trend of poor grammar and misspelled words?
[/i]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope...

Jim, current record is seven in four and a half lines...
Old 08-01-2002, 03:39 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's sad. I recently saw a chainstore advertise a Hover vacuum.

I think too many people grew up with spellcheck and just don't think on their own.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think most people post to these boards as though they are connected to a chat session. In general they do not take the time to re-read their posts to check for errors. It is kind of sad to see the word breaks used in place of brakes for example.

A vice president here in the office keeps sending me e-mail about how I need to cancell some pagers we no longer need. Nice. This guy makes deep into the 6 figures range.

Also, as much as I like Grassroots Motorsports magazine, it kills me that they write as poorly as they do.

I witnessed my sister assuring her 4 year old that she hadn't made a spelling error since she was posting to a chat session. Think that child is going to be confused in school?

When you think about it though, don't you think that maybe the American/English language is merely evolving into a new vernacular? I mean, do we speak English as Thomas Jefferson did?

Besides, this isn't supposed to be formal/business writing, it is conversational, right?
Old 08-01-2002, 03:46 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

A lot of the decline in proper grammar and spelling in the last 15 years is caused by the tools originally designed to help us...namely spell check. People don't need to know how to spell properly because the computer will do it for us, but unfortunately, we end up with a lot of misplaced words that sound the same as the word originally intended but are spelled different with different meanings. The grammar checking tools in most commercial word processing packages are a joke, at best. As far as having a good vocabulary is concerned, I stopped being taught new words that aren't computer and business related when I was a freshman in college. I really wish that they would make more manditory courses to expand vocabulary in college...I am amazed how many of my friends who are seniors and/or graduates of college don't understand some of the words I say. I am even more amazed at the words I don't understand coming out of a couple of my friends' mouths who graduated from better colleges than I attend.

-ribs
Old 08-01-2002, 03:48 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

I see errors in Reuters articles ALL THE TIME. For instance, yesterday they spelled AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) as ADM. This may not seem like that big a mistake, but it was in the title of the article. I mean, the title...in bold letters....at the top of the article. And it's three letters...not that hard to spell.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:56 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Archer Daniels Midland may be going into the microchip business.

Is there a spell checka linked to this bored? Is so how do i use it?
Old 08-01-2002, 03:56 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A girl I worked with, who was a history major in college (Yale at that), had no idea what I was talking about when I made a reference to forty acres and a mule.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:01 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
I could care less how I spell on here.

I also feel sorry for those that judge people for the way they type and set up their sentences. Some people may be in a hurry. Big deal.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:14 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I have taught at the college level for the past six years, and I don't think spell-checkers have spoiled anybody. It is my experience that the same people who have the sense and are willing to take the time to use a spell-checker generally have the sense and take the time to also proofread on their own. The people with poor spelling are generally too careless/lazy to proofread their work and, thus, are too careless/lazy to bother using a spellchecker. Granted, there are people with learning disabilities that have a legitimate reason for being poor spellers. However, they can take the time to use a spell-checker or a dictionary if they so wish.

When I use this bulletin board I don't take the time to edit my work as if I was writing something for publication. However, I do at least proofread what I wrote before I submit my posts. In my opinion it's a matter of courtesy to write in decent English when I want others to read my posts. Plus, I take some pride in paying attention to detail. I find that people who are sloppy/careless in one aspect of life are sloppy/careless in general.

Flame on?
Old 08-01-2002, 04:21 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I try to proofread my posts for content and grammar, but not spelling. I am a horrible speller, and I know it. I just don't think that it matters that much on a web board such as this.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:31 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

I don't think it matters here either, it helps to improve credibility, but this is informal. In the media however...well, I revert back to my "come on" statement.

Quick Reply: Illiteracy in America