Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential 944.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 PM
1985porsche944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just be patient and look around for a good car. Although you will still have something to probably fix.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

If this car won't be your DD, I don't see why not. This wouldn't be the ideal car for you to drift, though... If you're into drifting, I'd take some of the other dude's advice and go with a cheap Japanese car so you can sharpen your skills without acquiring huge repair bills.

Ultimately, I'd say go find an early car in awesome shape just to get you started.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

one of the major drift teams runs a 993GT2, for the record lol
Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i was 17 i started looking into putting a chevy v8 into a 944, i already had 2 crap 944's and 1 924S, march of last year (when i was 17) i bought an 87 944 for 2600 bucks from a rennlist member, it ran and drove very well, needed a little suspension work before it was truly roadworthy...now here we are a little over a year later and i have a 375 horsepower monster under the hood of my 944....just things to consider, if you put your head to it, you could do it!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

just be wary of the god-awful paint job and strange hood boxes.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:40 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

If I could shed any light on this, It would be the same color that some of the other guys have already shown. Don't bother with a regular 944, if you're looking to do any sports that require spinning the tires. I would even go as far to say, don't even look into buying a 951. You sir need an S2. Maaaaybe an S, but they don't have as much torque, and I don't think the trans is up for the job.

The S2 has just a little less peak power than a stock 951, but the torque will tear one apart from a dead-launch. The issue I have with the 951 (and I do own one) is the low compression kills low-end power. Lower compression makes for a great combo with a turbo, but when you're looking for linear power delivery, a turbo is simply not an option. And believe me. I've had my fun in a couple empty parking lots. I think my friend's 240SX was more entertaining.

If I were you, I'd look into saving for a 944 that better suits your needs. If you want to get one to become oriented with the car, then an early model will suit you just fine. If you want one and are ready to jump into some sort of competetive sport like drifting, then You'll want to save your money.

I love having my car though! I'm more of a road track person and will be visiting places like Hallett etc. If I were to indulge in drifting though, I would NOT be using my car. Just wouldn't want to. Heck I'm even going to prefer using my Saturn (runs in DSP) over the 951 in Autocrossing. Just sayin!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 AM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

WOW! 0.0 that's all i can say! first of all i wanna say thats alot ya'll ya'll where a big help to me ^.^ i just can't wait until that day.. the day i get to drive a 944.
but also i wanted to comment on some stuff like first of all i wanted to say I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HECK I WAS THINKIN WHEN I SAID PHYSICIAN! lol i don't know all that much about medicine, sorry i was tired, first day of bein a senior and such, had to fix my effed up year they gave me. i MENT to SAY physicist, i want to major in physics.. but that apparently isnt going to happen now..
also i wanted to say ya'll are awesome! especially the 944 drifters! thats like a dream! ya'll are crazy lol ^.^ and thanks alot for the advice. =)
but right now, the looks of drifting. i think its gonna go well. i hope so atleast. my best friend micah and i rebuilt his camaro and him and his dad finished it this summer. and he got it running and such. and then my other friend sold his 67 gt500 which is crazy! for quite a bit of money and he had bought a v8 for it and when he sold it he put the v6 back in, so he said that we're gonna put the v8 in a rx7 our friend has lying around. and then i need to fix my teggy and sell it and buy a drifter. once again ya'll thanks. i enjoy talkin to ya'll ^.^
Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
just be wary of the god-awful paint job and strange hood boxes.
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

just to clarify...the paint is god awful...but it's coming off, and i have already purchased some nice single stage urethane and some very good epoxy primer to put on the bare metal when i finish stripping it...should start painting it early next week...after that i'll start trying to figure out a way to run a stock hood, it's just going to take some creativity and some moolah (which i don't really have much of right now...)

to the O.P. the best advice i can give is save your money for the car that you want...don't settle because you'll never quite be happy...now that can go two ways, because i couldn't buy a gorgeous fully modded 86 944 turbo with 930 fuchs and 30,000 miles when i was 17...so set your eyes on something attainable, say an early model S2 with bad paint or that doesn't run (but has an intact timing belt...so you don't have to rebuild a 16 valve head)
Second...don't jump on the first 700 dollar 944 you see, or the second or the third for that matter, unless you have thoroughly inspected it and know EXACTLY what you're getting into...you do NOT want surprises when you crank the motor for the first time (like mouse chewed wiring causing a fire, or an already thrown rod bearing punching a hole in your block)

in short...BE CAREFUL, i got shafted a LOT when i was younger because i didn't know my stuff well enough, and i was quick on the trigger...please learn from my mistakes!

Ethan

Quick Reply: Potential 944.