Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential 944.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 AM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential 944.

Hey, i haven't been on in a while. i used to just get on just to help others and learn something i couldn't experience my self about a 944 because i was in lack of 944. I am a Potential Drift Entusiast, wanting to become a physician one day. I am the age of 17 and i currently own a 1988 Mercedes-Benz and a 1992 Acura integra (that needs a new engine, which will be swapped!). I am a low budget guy coming from a semi average family. I earn my money and save it wisely using various of legal ways of increasing my profits. i came here looking for some advice maybe, or some suggestions. My favorite car in the whole wide world is the Porsche 944! and the only thing i want to do with it, is drift it! i know almost every pro and con of this car; and know just every bit of history. If i didnt i'm sure its not long before i did. I've been planning for a while on how i am going to do it and i've come to an idea. i've got the DD, and a grand set aside for a engine swap for the integra, then i'm selling the integra for labor and value. like i said, i want a 944, i've found two buys the best bet for $800, lol i know right!? the dude wanted $1000 for it, then he found out how old i was, and he said $800. I know what i'm getting myself into and i was just looking for the right answer. right now all i can do is show you the pics. If you actually take the time to read this, thanks! ALOT!

doesn't run. the place that took it in and replaced injectors plugs and wires. I mean come on! that's it!? and they didnt do anything else. its probably a thrown timing belt or a shaft and the pistons or valves are fried.
ANYBODY!?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your too young for this car... save your money for school then when you get out and have a good job buy a 944 or 951 and have fun.

he felt sorry for you..... so there is something big wrong with the car

these arnt the best drift cars. seeing as you have 150 hp to work with. Next you will want to know how to Turbo your N/A
Old 08-11-2009, 01:09 AM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

lol oh i know how to turbo it. that's a quite a bit of money. thanks man.
just the answer i was looking for ^.^
Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh, if you want to get into drifting, buy a Miata or a 240sx or an FCRX-7, sorry man. The 944 is a nice car, even in rough shape, but too expensive to beat on for drifting, at your age. I was the same way and same age and I managed to pull it off, through my hookups in the industry and local community, but if you knew how much money and time I've spent just on repairs alone you would probably reconsider.

Not saying its impossible, just more difficult. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Teeson
Intermediate

sounds like me, ive also been reading this site for a while and only recently joined.. im also porsche-less.
i also have no money, and a strong will to beat the guy in my class with an old pontiac beaumont... arrg.

good to see im not the only broke 17 year old here
Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrIftAgious
oh i know how to turbo it
Famous last words of a 944 owner.....

You're getting "starry eyes" from the Porsche emblem on the nose. These are not cheap cars. There are hundreds of posts on here just like yours. "I bought an $800 944, I got a SMOKIN deal!!", then next month it needs a head, from the bent valves, a clutch, motor mounts, suspension, brakes, belts, hoses......

I'm sure it is your favorite car, its the same for most of us that own them, but what carlege said is right. Save your money and buy one in great shape when you get out of school. You have to remember, they are 20+ years old. They are getting just plain old and worn out. Then add the fact that they're German, and need pretty consistent maintenance... no 944 is a cheap 944.

Thats just on the car itself.... you're opening up a whole other can o' worms when you say you want to drift it. These cars are designed to go around corners without flipping sideways. To get them to drift is just not natural for the car. There are a few who do it, but there are defiantly better candidates out there.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

I bought my 944 with my own money when I was 15. If you want to get a 944 I say go for it, plenty of us young people have them. I would say if that 944 has a broken Tbelt then dont get it, get one thats in rough shape but runs. I do agree that they are not the best drift cars, they handle too well!

I would almost advise getting a cheap, busted *** 944 now rather than saving up for a nice one. If you ask me, its so much better getting one thats rough and learning everything about it inside and out so you know what to look for in the future. Knowing what I know now about 944s I would not have spent 3000$ on my 944 when I looked at one that we being sold for 1000$ in almost the same condition.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 517 Posts

FWIW i bought mine when i was 15

have fun with it, all these guys are right, it is doable but be prepared to be very deep into the financial ditch with no hope of ever recovering your investment. if you want to buy this car and turn it into a toy and maybe flip it eventually, keep looking. put the money into it because you enjoy driving it, not because of possible return someday.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Ohh, and drifting a 944 is not a good idea as I said. The transaxles suck and the ring and pinion blow up very easliy. Even just some hard launches and gear chirps is enough to blow them up, ask me how I know....

And buy a parts car if possible! Best thing I ever did, mine had a bad body but everything else was good.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:28 AM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

takes elliotts advice on the drifting cars. miatas and 240sx's are perfeft for drfting . cheap easy rwd. but i dont see why he cant get a 944.. im 18 and i bought a 928 and a 944 and pretty much rebuilt the whole car my self. (working on money for suspension) but new motor clutches everything. and i just turned 18. i just learned. and there isnt anything wrong with that. so good luck man.

and btw get rid of the acura. fwd and ricer not good for a porsche owner. and then you will have money for the 944.

goodluck!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

A goodquotes comes to mind when thinking about a cheap Porsche.

"The most expensive car you can buy is a cheap Porsche".

Anything is possible, but buying a cheap car when you may or may not have a steady income with dreams of fixing it up is extremely hard. Start somewhere else. Even if you buy the parts and install them, anything with "Porsche" written on it costs an arm and a leg. Yeah rebuilding it from scratch might make my love the car to death. But watching it rot for months because you can't afford/don't know how/or cant figure out/ whats wrong with it will make you hate these cars. Save up, buy a good one.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by DrIftAgious
wanting to become a physician one day
That's a wonderful ambition.

College is a lot tougher than high school - and just a touch more expensive . In a year, you'll find you have a lot less time and money on your hands than you have now. Then on to med school, etc.

So plan on not being able to spend as much time or money as you would like. If you are OK with sinking a lot of money into it and a lot of time, and have the space for it to sit for a while, and have the time and tools to the head on the engine if needed, then go for it (first, check into the prices for a new clutch )

Also, can't tell what year that is, but you'll probably want 1987+ for selection of wheels
Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 AM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by banana944
Ohh, and drifting a 944 is not a good idea as I said. The transaxles suck and the ring and pinion blow up very easliy. Even just some hard launches and gear chirps is enough to blow them up, ask me how I know....

And buy a parts car if possible! Best thing I ever did, mine had a bad body but everything else was good.
Okay,,, i can say that the box from a regular 944 sucks but 951 and S2 gearboxes can take alot of abuse and i mean ALOT

There's nothing wrong with drifting a 44,,, but it has to be a turbo or an s2

It's simular in weigt to s13 and s14 cars and are alike in driving

The Biggest problem with 44 or porsche overall is price and parts for them

Suspension and getting a little bit more sterring angle and these cars drift like hell

Burnout on slicks,,,, Had about 35 runs that day... 5000 rpm and let go of the clucth

Ofcourse it's best to buy a S13 or S14 but there's something about drifting a P-car
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Even if you're good with a wrench, your monthly payments on a 944 will be $200, if you're lucky. That's not financing or a lease. That's repairs and maintenance. Expect it, and plan accordingly. It can be a little cheaper, and it can be a LOT more expensive.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I got my first n/a at 16 and have been driving 944s ever since (21 now)

I suggest you get one that was well maintained (nice body, newer parts, etc) that threw a timing belt or blew the R&P. Either one of those is only a few hundred $ to DIY and the rest of the car should be good.

You don't want a whole project, you will hate 944s and regret ever wanting one.

Quick Reply: Potential 944.