Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nissan quest alternator in n/a?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nissan quest alternator in n/a?

Is it worth it? I'm about to go get my alternator checked, but I'm pretty sure it is bad.
I was looking at the turbo thread with the 1996 nissan quest alternator, and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to do this in my n/a.

The nissan alt is a little cheaper, a little lighter, seems like it cools itself better, and has a more updated design.

Is there any reason not to do this? I know I would need to get a slightly shorter belt.

Thanks for input!
-Brett
Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea i would. But i would get one not for the weight savings but because it looks better lol.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it fits, why not?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

I'm gonna have to look into this. Amp upgrade too?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it works....take pictures.

Difference in weight??
Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah lighter weight.
Here is the thread in the turbo forum...
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...eted-pics.html

EDIT:
I'll do it when my alternator dies... It turns out the connections on the back of my alt were loose.
Kinda bummed I don't get a cool new alternator, though. LOL.

Last edited by Calmchaos; 08-05-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I have already paid for, and will shortly be picking up the Quest alternator and will be mounting it in my 88 NA this afternoon / evening as my origional alternator died about 4 months ago, I installed the alternator out of my 951.. and it died today!

I will post follow up later for everyone!

The alternator I bought is in stock at a local parts store, cost me $212 including core... now I have 2 factory alternators needing rebuild... and a soon to be modified alternator mount!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one in my NA .... well I had one. The Nissan alternator is FAR superior to the stock alternator in every way. The install takes some patience, but its not TOO bad!

The only reason I don't have it in now (Went back to stock) is because I went with the AutoZone "lifetime" alternator. It lasted quite a few miles, but only about a year.

You have to modify the case, and the shaft of the alternator a little bit, so it makes returning a core a little harder. So make sure you spend the money on a good brand of alternator. Go to NAPA or CarQuest.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by m73m95
I have one in my NA .... well I had one. The Nissan alternator is FAR superior to the stock alternator in every way. The install takes some patience, but its not TOO bad!

The only reason I don't have it in now (Went back to stock) is because I went with the AutoZone "lifetime" alternator. It lasted quite a few miles, but only about a year.

You have to modify the case, and the shaft of the alternator a little bit, so it makes returning a core a little harder. So make sure you spend the money on a good brand of alternator. Go to NAPA or CarQuest.
No local carquest, Napa cant get one today, Advance Auto had it on the shelf for $212 including the core charge.. worldwide.. meh

Patience isn't my strong suit, but I do have a now empty garage to work in, and a whole set of index drill bits, 2 dead alternators, and a spare mount... and an afternoon/evening to wrap it up... have grinder will travel!!!!!

Just finished installing my rebuilt head, cam tower, seals, gaskets, PS rack, lines, trans seals, axles... drove 450 miles over the weekend only to have the alternator crap on me on the way to work this morning!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Rebuilding the stock alternator is so easy, a caveman could do it.... if you want to go that route. Napa usually has the voltage regulators in stock. Infact, if the bearings are good, then you can replace the voltage regulator without taking the alternator out of the car. Its only 2 screws.

IF you want to go the Nissan route, you better bring your super zen like, buddah patience. Its not difficult physically by any means, but its a trial and error thing. Grind, test fit, grind, test fit... Then you will have to use a dremel tool and grind a slot in the alternator shaft for a woodruff key. The Nissan alternator doesn't have one, but it needs it.

ALSO.... We have found out that not all of the stock Bosch alternators have woodruff keys. So, if yours doesn't have one, then you'll also have to make a slot in the stock pulley for a woodruff key. This is a step you can't get around. I tried running without a woodruff key, and it just doesn't happen. the pulley spins on the shaft with any kind of electrical load.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:30 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by m73m95
Rebuilding the stock alternator is so easy, a caveman could do it.... if you want to go that route. Napa usually has the voltage regulators in stock. Infact, if the bearings are good, then you can replace the voltage regulator without taking the alternator out of the car. Its only 2 screws.

IF you want to go the Nissan route, you better bring your super zen like, buddah patience. Its not difficult physically by any means, but its a trial and error thing. Grind, test fit, grind, test fit... Then you will have to use a dremel tool and grind a slot in the alternator shaft for a woodruff key. The Nissan alternator doesn't have one, but it needs it.

ALSO.... We have found out that not all of the stock Bosch alternators have woodruff keys. So, if yours doesn't have one, then you'll also have to make a slot in the stock pulley for a woodruff key. This is a step you can't get around. I tried running without a woodruff key, and it just doesn't happen. the pulley spins on the shaft with any kind of electrical load.
Well, I do have a welder....

I also have a dremel, and several keys on hand to choose from, 2 stock alternators to check and double check, and while not incredibly patient, I tend to asses the situation and take action quickly...

I will report back resuslts, and pictures once I am done...

Sharpie.. check
Grinder.. Check
Alternator.. Check
Patience.... left the building about the time I was installing the cam tower on Friday.. she got sick of listening to the new words I was coming up with while threatening to burn the car to the ground... note to self... install headders BEFORE the cam tower...
Tools... check
spare alternator mount... check
heated garage to work in... check

dead NA again.. check

OH, and both dead stock alternators died horrible deaths... bearings / brushes making HORRIBLE noise, just as the output dropped to nill.. both died on the way back to my house from my STBXs house.. I think god is trying to tell me something...

I HATE the stock alternator, and have been intending to swap this into my 951 when it goes back together, so this will be a trial run for the 951... BUT the 951 will likely get a higher output one from a later model of Nissan (225 Amp vs 110) but the 110 should be more than enough for the NA..
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

i was going to do this as well and had a few of the quest alternators. very close to original fit, needs a bit of grinding on the ac bracket so a screw on the bottom of the alt case can fit but nothing terrible. having cut apart one of the ac brackets you dont need to worry if you 'cut a little deep', they are very sturdy inside. definitely lighter than the 944 alt.

i sold the quest alts so i could pursue a different alternator mounting path...

i believe i still have the nissan wiring pigtail if someone wants it.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Well, I do have a welder....

I also have a dremel, and several keys on hand to choose from, 2 stock alternators to check and double check, and while not incredibly patient, I tend to asses the situation and take action quickly...

I will report back resuslts, and pictures once I am done...

Sharpie.. check
Grinder.. Check
Alternator.. Check
Patience.... left the building about the time I was installing the cam tower on Friday.. she got sick of listening to the new words I was coming up with while threatening to burn the car to the ground... note to self... install headders BEFORE the cam tower...
Tools... check
spare alternator mount... check
heated garage to work in... check

dead NA again.. check

OH, and both dead stock alternators died horrible deaths... bearings / brushes making HORRIBLE noise, just as the output dropped to nill.. both died on the way back to my house from my STBXs house.. I think god is trying to tell me something...

I HATE the stock alternator, and have been intending to swap this into my 951 when it goes back together, so this will be a trial run for the 951... BUT the 951 will likely get a higher output one from a later model of Nissan (225 Amp vs 110) but the 110 should be more than enough for the NA..
I am usually pretty calm ..... I threw the grinder out into the grass a few times LOL

Also, get some grease out to mark where you need to grind. I coated the bottom of the alternator in grease, and installed the top "pin" bolt. When you flop the alternator down onto the mount, the grease will mark the high spots where you need to grind.

Its worth while.... just takes a while
Old 02-14-2011, 05:09 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i was going to do this as well and had a few of the quest alternators. very close to original fit, needs a bit of grinding on the ac bracket so a screw on the bottom of the alt case can fit but nothing terrible. having cut apart one of the ac brackets you dont need to worry if you 'cut a little deep', they are very sturdy inside. definitely lighter than the 944 alt.

i sold the quest alts so i could pursue a different alternator mounting path...

i believe i still have the nissan wiring pigtail if someone wants it.
Yeah yeah, the mount is solid as hell. Grind the **** out of it!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Done! (actually was done about an hour or so ago...) took me about 3 hours start to finish... I used a different approach to the grinding.. I ground the center section of the mount, and ground the hell out of the alternator...

2 hours in...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Nissan quest alternator in n/a?