Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell from a Slightly Disappointed Now-Former 944 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Farewell from a Slightly Disappointed Now-Former 944 Owner

Most people here know and believe that these are driver’s cars, not show cars. But It is absolutely absurd that I sold my 1991 S2 for barely $3k today:

The original fuel for the fire:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/26-00...9%3A1|72%3A317
Yes, that car is in great condition...that being said, this is EXACTLY what makes me pretty angry. Shill bidder or not, that or $10 – $17k is a ton of money when a car with identical performance can be had for a mere $3,000

I had to drive it 4 hours to drop it off to the guy (real good guy, thanks again Mike). He had never driven an S2 before but has owned several 944's and several 951's. He planning on parting it out--but after driving it (and seeing it!) he's probably (and hopefully) going to fix it up instead...so yes, it is/was truly in good enough (flawless minus power steering) mechanical condition to not only make the 4 hour drive but also knock the socks off a seasoned 944-vet.

The true essence of what frustrates me is not that I missed out on a few hundred or even a thousand dollars. It really isn’t. What’s truly frustrating is that 90% of the people that own 944’s(and 99% of other sports car owners) just own them to say they drive a Porsche or to drive up and down main street trolling for tail.

Of course that’s not true about many of the people on here, but in all honesty, I’m still shocked at the amount of interest--or lack thereof--that the car received from ‘listers.

Don’t get me wrong with a few things: I realize the economy and market for these cars is totally in the crapper, hence the reason the new owner might still have to part it out. I also realize that some minor damage could be a sign of more under the surface, but in this case it really isn’t/wasn’t, and even if one thought it was a red flag, for the price that it plummeted to over the past TEN months I think it was worth some prodding questions or an investigation or even requesting that I get it inspected by an independent mechanic--$3k is an absolute STEAL!

If you truly want a sports car to drive it and enjoy it (which is what most people claim), then to a certain extent you shouldn’t care how it looks, you should care how it drives…and doing 60MPH around a nice tight corner in the driver seat of my former S2 vs. the driver seat of that 20k/$17k S2 there’s no way anyone here would be able to tell the difference—in fact, mine would probably feel better to most of us due to the lack of power steering! =)

While I hope this rant is mostly well received, I'll probably get some bashing too. It just needed to be said and I won't be able to afford another 944 for at least a couple years so I don't really have much of a reputation to uphold.

Thanks to all who helped me along the way, this place has been and will continue to be an invaluable resource for one of the most under-estimated, under-rated, and under-appreciated cars of all time--I’ll miss it like hell.

- John

Last edited by Jaay87S; 07-06-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true that brother! don't be a stranger!!!

i wish i had the cash, because i'm not one to lowball when it comes to someone selling a car, and yours seems like it would've been a nice addition to the family, but being a fresh high school grad without a real job trying to finish a huge project didn't leave much expendable income.

i hope to see you back around someday...hit me up when you do come back!
Ethan
Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Fenway
5th Gear

Wish I had the chance to possibly see it and buy it. Unfortunately I live in the mid west and get back east once a year. This year being the end of July but I'm too late. Sorry to hear of the troubles you had selling it.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

There are many cars on here I wish I could buy that I am unable to. I am a poor college student and what little money I do have goes to just maintaining my own 944 and doing some work to it.

If I had $8k to spend on another 944 I probably would have given you that much for your car, I personally think the S2 is the best of the model lineup (has the good looks, has the top-line suspension, lots of standard features that were options on other cars, nice and easy to drive with the big motor, turbo-like power levels) and would love to own one, but my finances along with basically everyone else on this board just cannot justify buying one. Certainly there are people who are buying cars right now but maybe they just had other criteria that they wanted in a car.

It does suck majorly that your car sold for so low and I am truly sorry at that. Hopefully the new owner will realize what a sweet car he has and will take the time and money to fix the few things that prevent it from being a perfect car.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors, hopefully you can return to the world of 944s sooner rather than later.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Jaay87S
Instructor

And don't get me wrong, I love the way they look too...a few (quickly turned into several) of my favorite pics from the last 4 years:
Attached Images                
Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Attached Images     
Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I can't protest your position, but having paid $3200 for my 951 and $4200 for my N/A I can't disagree with the buyers... my N/A came with some undisclosed body damage, and was in need of a new clutch.. the 951 has been mostly convenience and performance upgrades after finishing the normal maintenance timing belt/water pump...

I'm sorry for your loss... and depressed that yet another of our cars may be going to the heap...

but at least someone will get some killer parts, and the new owner might just fix the fender and paint her...

You'll be back soon...
Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Thanks for the replies fellas. That was just me blowing off some steam, all in all it's all good--after going through all my old pics (highlights above) I'm in a much better mood...it also didn't help that I dropped $4k down today on the new wheels, an 05 Saab 9-2X Aero (same thing as a WRX) and couldn't even drive it home due to insurance and loan BS...gotta say though, it's not a bad 'welcome to the real world' present to myself
Attached Images    
Old 07-06-2009, 01:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaay87S
Thanks for the replies fellas. That was just me blowing off some steam, all in all it's all good--after going through all my old pics (highlights above) I'm in a much better mood...it also didn't help that I dropped $4k down today on the new wheels, an 05 Saab 9-2X Aero (same thing as a WRX) and couldn't even drive it home due to insurance and loan BS...gotta say though, it's not a bad 'welcome to the real world' present to myself
really?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Really what? Really I just bought a wagon? (Hell yeah!) Or really it's a Subaru in Swedish clothing? (again...hell yeah!)

And yes, I will certainly be back soon...
Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

wow jsut did a quick read on the 92x and i had no idea they were identical
Old 07-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Jaay87S
Instructor

I didn't know until a few days ago either, they only made them in '05 and '06...some pretty sweet wiki highlights comparing the WRX and 9-2X:

"The rear suspension arms are in aluminum, with further reduction of unsprung weight achieved by using plastic in place of heavier components....The steering has been made more responsive and exact in the 'Aero' by using the steering rack shared by the STI version of the WRX, which features a quicker steering ratio, more rigidly mounted steering hardware and stiffer chassis bushings....the 9-2X won the highest IIHS safety awards[1]....The suspension changes were such an improvement that Subaru 'demanded' to be able to place this suspension in their Impreza model."
Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

It's a WRX in yuppie clothing, sweet...

Reminds me of a Mazda MX-6 in the mid 90s... Ford Probe in Mazda clothing...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
931GT
Instructor

Mike in Ct. bought it?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 AM
amac944
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
It's a WRX in yuppie clothing, sweet...

Reminds me of a Mazda MX-6 in the mid 90s... Ford Probe in Mazda clothing...
Or was the Ford Probe a Mazda in Ford clothing...?

Quick Reply: Farewell from a Slightly Disappointed Now-Former 944 Owner