Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about V8 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVC your car is one of the most beautiful 944's I have ever seen. I wish I could have a car that clean.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by DVC
If you haven't driven one, the best way to describe it is, there isn't a spot that isn't sweet. A 100 MPH roll on will leave your tummy in the spare tire well.
+1

There's no need to downshift to pass cars, which is nice.

Plus flooring it in any gear makes my wife scream. Not that I enjoy that sort of thing... It's always an accident, honey...
Old 07-02-2009, 12:34 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

^^^LOL!!!!

lets just say that i'm 19 and i'm almost done with the 1st stage of mine...that is getting the engine in and running, getting the guages hooked up, getting wiring mostly sorted out...getting the thing on the road for some light break in time.

stage two is going to be upgrading everything else that isn't up to snuff any more...most likely rebuilding/replacing the transmission, upgrading brakes, probably going with wider wheels and tires. all of that fun stuff

Ethan
Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

How will 205's stand up to 300 hp? I can't wait. I think I have a lead on a LS1 for $300 complete.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 498 Posts

they wont. lol. not unless you carefully roll on the throttle everywhere you go

but get that motor dont even think twice, not even 1.5x
Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 924S Driver
How will 205's stand up to 300 hp? I can't wait. I think I have a lead on a LS1 for $300 complete.
PM me if you decide to pass!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:24 AM
stevestahl87
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc information?

i have an 86' 944 shell and was going to put a rebuilt 944 motor into it but after the issues i have had with my 87' 944 im thinking a different motor sounds good. everywhere i have looked for information on it all i get is stuff about the LS swaps. that would be nice but i guess i figured just a plain older SBC would be easier to install, to work on, and cheaper on the pocket book.

im just looking for some good solid clear information about the SBC swap, and availability of parts for doing it. i dont really have the availability to fabricate my own parts so any information is greatly appropriated!!!

i have heard and seen some posts of guys using truck motors for doing the swap. didnt know if that was the vortec motors or what.

not trying to be a cheep a** or anything, but i have just alot of time and money into the body of the car and would really like to get it running in the next year.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:31 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 498 Posts

http://www.texasperformanceconcepts....sionparts.html
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

they wont. lol.

i'm getting 1 more set of front wheels so i can scrub my worn fronts to the bone out the *** end
[after my V8 and LSD tranny is in].
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM
hopps
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevestahl87
i have an 86' 944 shell and was going to put a rebuilt 944 motor into it but after the issues i have had with my 87' 944 im thinking a different motor sounds good. everywhere i have looked for information on it all i get is stuff about the LS swaps. that would be nice but i guess i figured just a plain older SBC would be easier to install, to work on, and cheaper on the pocket book.

im just looking for some good solid clear information about the SBC swap, and availability of parts for doing it. i dont really have the availability to fabricate my own parts so any information is greatly appropriated!!!

i have heard and seen some posts of guys using truck motors for doing the swap. didnt know if that was the vortec motors or what.

not trying to be a cheep a** or anything, but i have just alot of time and money into the body of the car and would really like to get it running in the next year.

Look into LM7 engines. It's basically an LS series engine, however it's out of a truck or SUV. You can get a complete pull for ~$800 (engine, harness, etc.) I know a guy locally who went to a junk yard and got essentially a complete engine (minus the heads, which was fine because he had some from a previous build) for $200. he swapped it in, put his heads on, and it's running great so far. The LM7 has an irom block, so getting 1000+ HP won't be a problem I'd worry about everything else holding up, though
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 PM
stevestahl87
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hopps
Look into LM7 engines. It's basically an LS series engine, however it's out of a truck or SUV. You can get a complete pull for ~$800 (engine, harness, etc.) I know a guy locally who went to a junk yard and got essentially a complete engine (minus the heads, which was fine because he had some from a previous build) for $200. he swapped it in, put his heads on, and it's running great so far. The LM7 has an irom block, so getting 1000+ HP won't be a problem I'd worry about everything else holding up, though
Thank you for the information. so parts for the LS swap, would work just fine on that motor? I think i can find one of those fairly easy. Maybe ill stumble upon a cheap LS1 while im searchin.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by stevestahl87

i have an 86' 944 shell and was going to put a rebuilt 944 motor into it

Originally Posted by Ryan_U

I imagine that all the work that goes into a swap makes some people passionate about their project....

Originally Posted by txhokie4life

Sticker shock........

Entry price cheap -- maintenance more than some new cars....

just a loose effort to compare;

i'm at 171 k on this engine now.... i don't wrench much [i do the tune ups, oil, brakes, tranny oil, body mods, etc]... not much more.

if i do the maintenance that's required now, to go between 171 k~220 k miles—when all is said and done, my 968 engine will have presented about $32 K in maintenance and repairs [mix of do it myself/premium/discount techs/shops for two-owner car] to go about 220 k miles and again, be ready for the next infusion of cash..... i should actually do the head gasket and the rod bearings too, so that number can go higher. it's a semi-exotic, overworked engine, just like the 944T....

you can deal with the 3.0 variocam, including accessories, timing system, cams, pads, chains, motor mounts, gaskets, oil cooler lines, pickup tubes, rod bearings, etc... or buy one, sell the motor and swap in a nice LSx the first day you buy the car..... but do the latter, and you'll come out ahead.

by 4 cylinder standards [barf], it's a nice engine. i sorta like the growling behemoth when she's running 80 mph at 3,200 rpm down the highway..... but when the cellphone rings or i put on a movie or the stereo, it's also the most effing noisy, overgrown angry lawnmower/vibradore in history.... starts with a thud, then shakes itself, accessory parts, you, and your passengers nearly to death [even came with an 800 pound exhaust in an effort to tame it]....

the original owner and myself could have spent the same $$$ enjoying a far smoother, more powerful engine requiring only a few sets of valve springs, the odd ac pump, oil changes and tune ups.... for the guys who wrench and drive just a few thousand miles a year, the 968 engine is fine—and it can take a lot of punishment... but if you drive more, like i do [94 k miles in 57 months], the 968 engine is an expensive platform.

just my 0.02

Last edited by odurandina; 12-15-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:45 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

xschop, do you still make your "bump steer" kit?
Old 12-23-2015, 09:27 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kev951
xschop, do you still make your "bump steer" kit?
I think i have a set of those laying around for sale. PM me if interested.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:22 AM
Porsche944lover
Track Day

Default Engine

Originally Posted by Johnny Johnny
Good Day!

There are a bunch of us currently working on converting our cars right now. Some of us are using the 5.3l Chevy LS-based motor, one I know is swapping in a big LS6, and others are using the older small block Chevy and LT1 motors. We're doing most of the R&D ourselves rather than going the "kit" route, for various reasons.

I actually have some of the conversion parts available for sale, if you want to go the SBC/LT1 route - bellhousing, clutch release bearing, adapter plates to attach the bellhousing to the Porsche Torque Tube. Check out our forum and the various options at http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/forum.htm.

The conversions are pretty straightfoward and retain all the stock gauges and conveniences - AC, PS, etc. All depends what you want to do. I started mine in January, and I've got a couple more months to go. Of course, I only work on it a few hours a week. Costs can vary as well, depending on the motor you choose and how good you are at scrounging for parts.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. This has been a great project and I've learned quite a lot.

Ross.

I'm trying to engine swap my 1984 na 944 any chevy/gm 5.3 will do ? Thanks In advance

Quick Reply: Curious about V8 conversion