Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragon Somethin' Lemons debut- down but not out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck guys! I look forward to reading about this in GRM!

Drew
Old 08-27-2009, 10:46 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Looks like my bike helmet does not cut the mustard. I'll be visiting jegs next week for a proper 'car' one.
Quote"
3.4: Driver's Helmet: Undamaged, full-face Type SA helmet, Snell SA2000 or better, mandatory. FIA 8860-2000 certification is acceptable. No open-face helmets allowed, ever, period, finito. Type M (in other words, any motorcycle helmets) and other non-SA helmets not allowed. Don't know if your helmet qualifies? Gently peel back the inner padding to find the Type stamp; if it doesn't have an "SA" sticker or stamp, you're boned. Sharing of helmets, fire suits, gloves, etc. is exceedingly gross, but that's no skin off our nose--you're welcome to do it.
End Quote"

Once you get the car back, lets plan something for early september. I can pick up oils, etc , and come help change those out and pick up any gear that can be brough back at that time. I've got an expedition so space is no prob.

If someone's wife is cooking, I can bring my full size grill if you all like? Um, I only have a 24x8.5 trailer worth of space. haha The fridge is about 2.3 ft tall but we can stack full of drinks.

also, do we have an extinguisher yet? The ones they sell at home depo are acceptable except for they need metal mounting brackets. My trailer has two extinguishers that can be for pit area use.

For gas, I have at least 7 or more 5 gallon metal cans, that had the vp race gas i run in my motorcycle. if we want gas from outside the track, I have these cans if you all care to use them.

I was reading thru the lemons rules. man if they crush the car, what a crapper. we definatly don't want it too pretty looking ! Did you guys read the pano article on the other group who ran a 944 in the lemons race ? pretty interesting. it's in the august issue.

van, i have two air mattresses and a nice army cot. only 1 sleeping bag but tons of comforters/quilts, so I am sure we can fix ya up.

I'll keep my eye out for a headset that fits my frs radios. I've seen people use em before. Other option is a cb. haha ! Or how about one of those billy mayes hands free adapters for the cell phone. Oh wait, no radio ! bummer :P

Tom
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I did see that Pano article (I was kind of hoping we'd be writing that... but ours will be better )

I do see that they give you 30 minutes to remove your "good stuff" before the car is destroyed for winning the people's curse. But hopefully that won't happen to us.

I think we should have some extra head lights / driving lights for the night driving. Maybe we can make a removable bracket on the front bumper or on the header panel or something. But I think we'll want as much light as we can get away with. Obviously we need to comply with the rules (and we can remove it if need be) but it can be awfully dark on a race track at speed at night.

I have a Fastrax wheel alignment gauge I can ship to you guys if you need - I assume we're not going to *pay* for an alignment. It measures camber and caster - and I do toe by bungee cording a straight edge (aluminum angle iron) to each wheel and using 2 tape measures.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

i have two sets of spare fog lights from my race car and parts car. i also can yank the headlights from my parts car too. quick change headlight sounds interesting but not sure how easy it'd be to do. Some KC highlighters on the roof would be hillarious but not legal.

Tom
Old 08-27-2009, 05:06 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

headlights- we can wire into the fog light harness - im thinking some cheapy autozone KC lights or something- i can do this.

i have another five or six gas cans.

-early sept sounds great for working on the car- i'll let you know when the car gets back.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What tires are you guys running? I assume LeMons has a similar 190 treadware req. to ChumpCar?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank
What tires are you guys running? I assume LeMons has a similar 190 treadware req. to ChumpCar?
Hankook Ventus R-S2 - tread wear of 200

Are they any good?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:10 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Nice... I saw those on TR on closeout.... looks like a good deal for the money. I don't have any personal experience with them however.

What is your thinking on longevity? Are you planning on only a single set or two?

We have a set of AVS ES 100's with decent tread remaining... they were my old DE tires before I went racing. Figured we would use these for warmup/practice/etc, and thinking to add one set of these as primary race tires. If something goes bad we can switch to the ES100's to finish the race.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I think we're going to use those as our primary tires (I think they'll last - my understanding is that they'll add some chicanes and other "hazards" along the straights to keep speed down a little bit (70 MPH max??)).

And, I think we'll have an extra set of just regular, old, half used, perhaps even miss-matched street tires.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:40 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

tires arrived tonite- look good! Our other tires are nice all season tires- all of them match just slightly worn.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:11 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Right on. We'll be rocking the other half of the same pair of harnesses you guys have. Prob will order those same tires too. Luckily we got an 83 for the simplicity factor but this thing is sorry. I have never seen dirt inside the rotors like on this car.

Der Professor grants good karma upon us all!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

got new wheels/tires and brakes on the support vehicle today- now its ready for the trip! cant wait to pick the car up next weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
got new wheels/tires and brakes on the support vehicle today- now its ready for the trip! cant wait to pick the car up next weekend.
You mean I bought tires for your truck?

I had a wonderful day at the track today (other than the heat stuck on (broken clip) and the odometer died (probably a broken gear)). 3 great sessions in the dry, one scary (but fun) session in the rain on slicks, and one session in the rain driving my friend's GT3.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Dan is your dog taking a dump in that pic or just going #1? lol!

Quick Reply: Dragon Somethin' Lemons debut- down but not out!