Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tial Installed w/ MBC...Can't Boost Past Spring...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tial Installed w/ MBC...Can't Boost Past Spring...

Whew. Took me off and on for 3 days but finally got the Tial installed.

I've got a .7bar spring in my Tial and with my MBC hooked up, I can't boost past ~10PSI in any gear. (Even though it won't get past 10...the car runs awesome now with the Tial + Vitesse MAF)

I've got the MBC plumbed just like this pic says for a dual-port. I have the straight line going from the banjo that splits into the side port and the line coming from the MBC into the top port:

I thought maybe I had it setup backwards (my shop installed the MBC, boost gauge and narrowband when I had it in the shop for the HG last month) but even if it was, it would just mean that it would still work - the **** turn would just be the wrong way, correct?

In my situation - no matter where I have it...all the way left or right with the **** locked or unlocked I never get past the spring in the WG.

I triple checked my hoses - I've got everything connected with the line from the Lindsey kit and high quality T's from the same set. I made sure none of the hoses were crimped or otherwise blocked on the segment that runs through the MBC.

I've got an Accuboost and with it connected in line, I can definitely crank the boost up. I can't believe it would be something with the MBC - I used it briefly because my shop set my stock WG up with it configured like the middle picture - it definitely worked in that configuration but I disabled it and left the hoses hanging in the engine bay tied up because I was using the Accuboost..

Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your vac lines attached to the MBC correctly? There should be an arrow on the MBC noting the direction of air flow.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

I'm pretty sure they are. I marked them with sharpie when I pulled them off to make sure I remembered the flow direction when I reconnected them. But, as I mentioned - does it really matter? If it was setup backwards then wouldn't I just have to turn the **** the OTHER way to boost? In my situation - no matter which way I turn...nothing changes.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

where did you get that pic? for a tial you have to reverse the vaccuum lines. swap them top to side and it will work perfect.

and i mean swap them at the wastegate, not at the MBC. good luck!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Airflite40
where did you get that pic? for a tial you have to reverse the vaccuum lines. swap them top to side and it will work perfect.

and i mean swap them at the wastegate, not at the MBC. good luck!
No, that diagram is correct for the Tial.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm...I hooked it up the 'other' way and still no change. I can't control any boost with the MBC and the car doesn't boost a bit above 10PSI as it hugs the spring.

Could I seriously have a toasted MBC? That's just insane - mine literally has 20 miles on it...How would you check to see if the MBC is problematic?

And yes, that diagram is correct for the Tial. It's the opposite of the Lindsey dual-port.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:43 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Did they put the plug in the unused hole of the MBC?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

agh, I'll have to pull it out and look...I was trying to avoid doing that...but I guess I'm out of options...
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is how to properly hook a Tial up in Dual-Port:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Rogue_Ant; 06-18-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
This is how to properly hook a Tial up in Dual-Port:
That's not what their directions say:

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf

At least their diagram shows the MBC inline with the top port.

I also used this thread as my guide for installing my Tial - they show both the Tial picture and the one I referenced above - I cannot imagine that those are both incorrect.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-question.html

And, finally: http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/MBC-DUALPORT.html

The wastegate in this picture is a Lindsey Racing Dual Port Wastegate. If this was a TIAL brand wastegate, the lines at the wastegate would be reversed. Side is now top, and top is now side. This is done because the valve travels in the opposite direction.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I don't know why their directions are wrong, but they are.
If you think about how a wastegate operates, the diagram I posted will make sense.

-Rogue
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
I don't know why their directions are wrong, but they are.
If you think about how a wastegate operates, the diagram I posted will make sense.

-Rogue
Not true my friend. The MBC restricts pressure, it doesn't create pressure. With your diagram, the WG would never open.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by shiners780
Not true my friend. The MBC restricts pressure, it doesn't create pressure. With your diagram, the WG would never open.
It will most certainly open. This is how I run on a daily basis. The purpose of dual-port is to use [intake] manifold pressure to assist the wastegate spring. Exhaust pressure combined with pressure from the MBC will open the wastegate. Though you will need to limit the pressure going to the dual-port side. I use a mig-tip in the line, to act as a restriction.

-Rogue
Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Rogue - you have a killer ride and I don't doubt that you run it that way...but I can't imagine that all of Tial's documentation and at least 10 other threads I have bookmarked that I used to guide me through the install that all show my diagram as the proper way to install a Tial are wrong. Least of which, Lindsey who specifically point out that the Tials are reversed.

You are the first person honestly that I've ever seen rig a Tial up that way - and it seems something is wrong if you have to do some tweaking in the line to restrict pressure.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Well, I just went out and pulled the panel out to see how the back of the MBC was hooked up. Looked fine - good connections, the two other ports had the plugs and were nice and tight. I did a 'blow' test to make sure the lines were right and they were correct the way I had it initially configured.

So, I'm lost. Is my MBC bad?

Would it work, as a test anyway, to hook my Accuboost up in the diagram where the MBC is and then dial that in for 15PSI? I don't know if that would prove the MBC is bad - but at least it would test the lines and wastegate and see if I could boost past the spring with a MBC'ish configuration??

Quick Reply: Tial Installed w/ MBC...Can't Boost Past Spring...