Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:16 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the K40...I had planned on going that route a long time ago, when they were first coming out and were fairly cheap, but they have become the standard among the highest end exotics...I've never had a chance to really put one to the test down here, but I was pleased that they didn't do too many false signals. I'll probably still go V-1 for the arrows, but I've put some thought into the alternative.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's my perspective as engineer who designs communications systems, both radio frequency and laser.

One of the main legal issues with radar jammers is not so much one of intent but a regulatory one. These are unlicensed radio transmitters, which are generally forbidden by the FCC. There are a few exceptions for unlicensed transmitters, such as cell phones, cordless phones, CB radios, wireless LAN's, etc., but these are all regulated with respect to frequencies and power levels. Radar frequencies fall outside these frequency bands. I don't know if the legality of radar jammers has been tested in court, but I have my doubts it would be upheld.

There's no doubt in my mind that purely *passive* radar countermeasures are legal because they don't involve radio transmitters. However, passive methods are very, very hard to do in a cost-effective way.

Laser radar jammers are another story. Laser transmitters are not regulated by FCC. There are laser safety issues (OSHA, etc.) that deal mainly with eye safety. However, practically speaking, it's hard enough to build an effective laser radar detector for basic technical reasons, let alone a laser radar jammer.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:10 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
as this drifts into laser jamming, the 996 Turbo board has a lot of guys that run the Lidatek laser jammer - they say VERY good things about it, and LIdatek has new units coming out soon. its on my list.

meanwhile - i have the trusty V1.

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors