Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know someone that would tow a car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody know someone that would tow a car for me?

I found a parts car that is perfect for my late dash swap, but my Dad won't drive the three hours to pick up the car. I live in Chico, CA, and the parts car is in Sunnyvale, CA. Google maps says it's 212 miles from Chico to Sunnyvale. Am I out of my mind thinking somebody else would tow it for me? I'll pay for your gas.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

is the car non-running?

ill be up that way in like 3 weeks. if it drives ill do it lol
Old 05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
is the car non-running?

ill be up that way in like 3 weeks. if it drives ill do it lol
Sorry I forgot to mention that. But it doesn't run.

Thanks anyway though.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM
drew44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, what did you pay for your parts car? 944? I'm trying to sell a parts car and just wanted to know how much they're going for.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drew44
Just curious, what did you pay for your parts car? 944? I'm trying to sell a parts car and just wanted to know how much they're going for.

Hurm....

Assuming I'm able to pick it up in time... $100.

Well one of the fenders and the driver side door is gone. But everything else is there. I really just need it for the interior.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

your dad is a smart man, and yes you are out of your mind. if you must have a late dash car, buy one with the car already attached.

unless of course if the alternative to you spending countless hours on a dash swap is you spending coutless hours in a crack house.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom R.
your dad is a smart man, and yes you are out of your mind. if you must have a late dash car, buy one with the car already attached.

unless of course if the alternative to you spending countless hours on a dash swap is you spending coutless hours in a crack house.
Huh... ok. The car has everyting I need for a dash swap.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do a search on Marquito's dash swap. He knows what he is doing and its taking him a long time. He has vast amounts of resource including his dad. If you are having problems towing the car, I would reconsider if I were you. I doubt he would do that conversion for someone else parts and labor for less than $10k. Did you read his entire thread and how much metal working he did?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes I think for all the trouble and effort it'd be a lot cheaper and easier to buy a 944 with the dash you like. Probably cheaper to get a 944S2 even.

For example the 924s has the old-timey speedo drive and the late dash uses an electronic signal from the transmission to drive the speedo. So you have to swap the trans. And the wiring that goes back there. Then the HVAC stuff... what a pain.

If you were determined to have a 924S body with a late 944 interior, I think it'd be easier (but blasphemous) to swap the front fenders and chop the hips off the 944 and do a narrowbody conversion.

That'd be more of a twisted cry for help than a car project though. Hopefully there would be an intervention.

-Joel.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Do a search on Marquito's dash swap. He knows what he is doing and its taking him a long time. He has vast amounts of resource including his dad. If you are having problems towing the car, I would reconsider if I were you. I doubt he would do that conversion for someone else parts and labor for less than $10k. Did you read his entire thread and how much metal working he did?
is it true that with age comes wisdom, or just plain laziness?

maybe with age I became smart enough to know i would never finish that project now, nor would i have finished it then.

how long till the "parting out two porsches" post comes along?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not kidding. The easiest way with the least amount of work to convert to the late dash is to cut the early car and late car in 2 and weld/reassemble.

For me, with age comes bad eyesight and maybe early case of alzheimer's as I feel like I am getting more stupid every year. I can't remember where I put my keys and forget what I am about say. All the stupid stuff that used to irritate me when someone else does it is happening to me now.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Whoaaaaaa guys ok. I'm not making this a hardcore conversion like Marquito. I have already discussed the whole conversion with Marquito. I will still be using my early gauges (so no transmission swapping), and I'm leaving my a/c system etc the way it is. I will convert the HVAC system later. I pick up the car this Sunday (I've got a trailer and everything). I know how hard this is going to be. But I want it done.

Oh and thanks for your support...
Old 05-31-2009, 04:42 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're talking about the same car I am, it might just be my old 944s, but the ad said it's an '88 and my car was an '87 unless the guy got the year wrong.

If it does turn out to be my old car though, it has some pretty good parts on it (short shifter, konis, etc).

But there's also a reason I sold it. Didn't need another project/parts car lying around, not to mention after you pull all of the parts you need you'll have this large stripped down white elephant sitting in your driveway.

All that aside, I have to give you props for doing something that I myself and I know many others have wanted to do with our early interiors but just aren't crazy enough to do. I had originally wanted to swap a late dash into my '83 and run my early gauges with flat lexan faces through to the instrument cluster (going for the whole 911 dash look). It would have required a little wiring as well as other little bits here and there, and even after finishing it a lot of things probably wouldn't have worked, but it's still very possible if you have the time to go it.

That being said, get it all out while you're still young because later on you'll have a job and bills maybe a wife and kids and no time or money to do the crazy things you want to do.

Quick Reply: Anybody know someone that would tow a car for me?