Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'89 Turbo...low mileage with Salvage Title??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by damiza318
how have you been calling it yours all this time when you haven't even paid it off yet.

Do I make the check out to you or the bank that owns your car?
you *** U ME grasshopper. my father paid cash for it when he gave it to me as a present because i am such a good son. you mean to say your daddy didnt buy you your porsche? that's awful. maybe that explains your anger.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

And here's in case you all missed it the first time around. I want it to be known and read by ALL, that means everyone!!!
No one cares. You are acting like a child. The description of the car you are trying to sell is a bit....whimsical. You were called on it, and got upset. Get over it.

If you're such a professional at parting/selling, you would have figured out by your second post that you should have just exited the discussion and moved on.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All I ever read on this site are postings from a bunch losers sitting around putting up links to other people's cars that are for sale only for the sole purpose to make fun of and talk **** about them. Alot of you people are a sad bunch.

And then the best part about it which I love the most is then when one of your "Own" posts a topic and starts a thread titled somewhere along the lines of this, "Thinking of selling my car, how much do you guys think it's worth?"

And then to stroke each others already-inflated egos you all have to throw out some of the most-ridiculously over-inflated price estimates (I guess to match your egos) for your fellow rennlisters just so they can feel good about themselves and there little precious cars. (Awwww so cute, you guys all love each other). It's like a bad imbred nightmarish clique ...
is it "imbred" or "inbred"?
Is this guy talking about me? If so am I now no longer the guy that values a 944 at somewhere around "junk" plus recent maintenance?
time for breakfast. i think i will have fish sticks.

is that a light at the end of the tunnel?

or is it the oncoming train?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
No one cares. You are acting like a child. The description of the car you are trying to sell is a bit....whimsical. You were called on it, and got upset. Get over it.

If you're such a professional at parting/selling, you would have figured out by your second post that you should have just exited the discussion and moved on.
Ding ding ding! What has he won, Johnny?

The OP asked for the "group's" opinion of a car he is interested in, not the seller's opinion, which you have so graciously added. We posted our thoughts from experience and the knowledge of owning and wrenching on Porsches for any number of years. You chime in that we are full of shyte and don't know what we're talking about, start name calling, etc, etc...how old are you?

Grow up and YOU get a life.

Oh, and to the OP...do you really want to buy a car from a guy who acts like this?

No f'in way I would.

Oh, and another thing...I bought my S with a salvage title from a reputable body man. I paid less than the current market value too. If I was ever to sell it (which I won't, since I plan on giving her to my sons) I sure as hell wouldn't try to fluff off the salvaged title to a buyer.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this post is now officially

and all I ever wanted to do was sell a car

Thanks Guys, for being such a good group about it
I've been following this with a bit of amusement, and frankly, I would not buy a car from you. First, you lack any sense of humility. The OP was a potential buyer seeking advice. You completely hijacked it, and made the thread entirely about YOU. If you really wanted to sell a car, you would be seeking input from the market (that would be us). That means you do more listening than talking. You BRAG about how much you've made parting cars, and about how you are pocketing about $20K from the insurance company.

Second, you are tap dancing around the condition of the car - how many owners, how significant the damage was, etc. You may feel like you are trying to be honest, but considering point number one above, I read your posts as dancing around the issue. Probably not fair to you, but folks don't just test drive cars, they test drive the owners, as well.

Third, you have a horrifically inflated perspective of the value of your car. There are five pages here where people who know are telling you that very thing. And the funny thing about all of it is that folks on Rennlist generally have an inflated view of the market. Sheesh, the guy trying to sell his S2 for $5500 had folks here slobbering over what a good deal it was.......it sold on ebay at his reserve for $4000. The 951 I just bought was similar - folks here thought it was a great car for the asking price of $4500. I thought it was a $3500 car, but I paid a bit more for it (below the asking price) becuase - and this gets back to the first point - I LIKED THE SELLER. That may seem inconsequential to you, but he was completely honest, made no claims that remotely exaggerated the condition of the car, and it was clear he took good care of it. I felt I could trust the guy. I don't feel like I could trust you.

So, take that FWIW. Not trying to be a jerk, a so-and-so, or make enemies after I've only been here for a couple of months. If you actually ARE trying to sell the car, you'd be well advised to adjust your perspective of the car, and your attitude. I've no doubt you'll attack me for posting this, but believe it or not, I'm actually trying to help you.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just googled "salvage title value". I know my opinion is not worth much, that is why i charge a fair market value for it.

Here is what i found:
http://www.theautoappraiser.com/salvage_title.htm
Consequences Of A Salvage Title On Vehicle Values

Industry standards followed by and noted in print by the National Automobile Dealers Association (N.A.D.A.) Appraisal Guides, Kelley Blue Book Market Report Official Guide, the International Society of Automotive Appraisers (I.S.A.A.) and additional automotive business entities within the United States of America, all devalue a motor vehicle that is in possession of a “Salvage Title”, by 20% - 50% of the normal, fair market retail value of the vehicle without a “Salvage Title”. The percentage variance increases with the younger age of the vehicle at issue and the retail value of that vehicle. Any vehicle that is more than 10 years old carries the 20% minimum devaluation to the fair market value of the vehicle.

Vehicles that are in possession of a “salvage title” from a total-theft strip insurance claim, opposed to a physical damage/impact type claim, are usually devalued in a lesser percentage amount from that of a collision or fire loss insurance claim branded “salvage title”. The percentage of devaluation is decreased by between 10% - 20%, based on the age and normal retail value of the vehicle.

If the vehicle is in possession of “junk” title, the percentage of devaluation for the value increases. This is due to the fact that the vehicle & title was branded “junk” by either the insurance carrier of record or by a state agency (Department of Motor Vehicles). This type of vehicle was supposed to have been dismantled, not repaired, based on the amount of damage sustained to the vehicle as a direct result of the loss it was involved in. Vehicles with a branded “junk” title are normally devalued by a percentage of 40% - 50%, depending on the year, make and model and normal retail fair market value.

Once a vehicle is branded with a “salvage or junk” title of ownership, this type of tarnished history stays with the unit, even if the branded title is "washed clean" in another state to be free of the designation “salvage or junk”.

The marketability of any type vehicle with a “branded title or history”, is questionable. This is something to keep in mind, when contemplating the purchase of a vehicle with this condition present.
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...7/article.html
Salvage Title Cars

Mention to a prospective buyer that the car has a salvage title, and they run in terror. Still, others have owned these cars and driven them for years. What is a salvage title and can these cars ever be a smart buy?

When a car has been severely damaged (either in an accident, or because of a flood or theft) the insurance company estimates how much it will cost to fix. At some point, the cost of repairs is more than the car is worth. Therefore, the car is often sold to a salvage company and used for parts. To protect future buyers, the car is given a salvage title.

In some cases, the salvage company, or an enterprising body shop, might fix up the car and try to sell it. Naturally, the price of the car will be below similar models' because it has a salvage title. The danger is that the car was improperly repaired. The biggest problem is with the alignment of the wheels — if the frame has been bent, it is difficult and expensive to straighten. A bent frame will cause abnormal tire wear and improper handling characteristics.
"Some states require (totaled) vehicles to be branded as salvage cars," Lovejoy said. "But if it is sold in another state, and re-titled, it can be sold to Mrs. Jones as a straight-up used car. She doesn't know it has been cut together from pieces of different cars."

Both Lovejoy and Shebesta advised extreme caution when considering the purchase of a car with a salvage title.

"I know of some cars that have gone through body shops and been made into drivable cars," Lovejoy said. "But keep in mind that if you buy a salvage title car, the chances of selling it to someone else and recouping your money are very slim. If you buy a salvage title car, you might want to count on keeping it until the wheels fall off."

John Mallette, from Face Lift Inc., also advised buyers to be cautious. However, he added, "sometimes it works when you're dealing with a theft recovery where there was little damage. You might save $3,000, $4,000, $5,000. But you will lose that right off the top when you go to sell it."
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Well said 67King. That's what everyone has been trying to tell this guy.

Tom, stop posting facts.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Well said 67King. That's what everyone has been trying to tell this guy.

Tom, stop posting facts.
my apologies rick. i forget how distracting it is when the issue is clouded with facts.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Old 05-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Tom was far more deserving of the "*****" title, I only posted twice. Regardless, I am honored.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
I thought Tom was far more deserving of the "*****" title, I only posted twice. Regardless, I am honored.
But he only read this thread. while only posting twice, your facts pierced through his thin veil and bursted his desluion of having a cherry car.

i on the other hand (shouldnt say other hand in same thread as..) started by giving the seller the benefit of the doubt whic he no doubt has not benefitted from.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeez, now I have doubts. Thats okay though as long I am getting the benefit of those doubts...which is now that I think of it, doubtful.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

I doubt it.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:49 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
jeez, now I have doubts. Thats okay though as long I am getting the benefit of those doubts...which is now that I think of it, doubtful.

What a ****ing train wreck this was.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick

Tom, stop posting facts.

Not to throw another log on the fire. I would call those more "industry guidlines" than facts.

Great information to have and I was glad to read it. The exception to all of it would be that a private party can sell for whatever someone will buy it for. If the car is rare, unique or disirable enough the guidlines don't mean much. (I would agree that I don't think that is the case with the car we are all discussing, it is priced too high IMO)

Quick Reply: '89 Turbo...low mileage with Salvage Title??